Samsung Updates?

deafjeff

Jul 30, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I am considering having Samsung 10+ as I am quite impressed with the screen and camera. I know that Samsung can be quite slow with updates. Pixel is quite good with that but not impressed with their display.

I am wondering how people feel about the update recently from Samsung?

Is this a deal breaker in term of updates? (I know it is personal preferences)

Any thoughts would be very welcome :)

Thanks

Jesus Delgadillo

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
The phone works perfectly fine, it's not update dependent. Yes there are improvements that should be implemented but they're not critical to not buying the phone. I've had it since release day and I've had the best phone out there by far and I don't even have the camera night mode update yet lol.

deafjeff

Jul 30, 2019
Visit site
Thanks!

I am aware that Pixel 3 get update quickly. Does anyone know how quickly do they get them?

I had a look at Pixel and something about it doesn’t make me like it as much as I do with S10+

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I just got an update with July patch today (the 31st) and got the June patch on the 30th of June so it seems they're a month behind, which I actually consider to be very good.

However, I've seen people having some serious update issues and they apparently don't update the Snapdragon variant as often. Plus we haven't had a platform update yet, so there's no telling how long the Q roll out will take.

The Pixel technically gets updated as soon as a new security patch is released, but Google isn't particularly good at roll outs in reality either, so you get it when you get it.

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
Updates are a non issue. Security updates come regularly. I never worry about OS updates cause Samsung's software UI is always years ahead of any current or future Android OS "letter". Everytime we get the latest Android version these forums blow up with complaints on how Google ruined our software experience. For example I remember when Google finally released split screen multi window and took away the ability to resize windows in landscape mode, something we have been able to do for years already. Thankfully Samsung shortly fixed it again with their software experience. If you're obsessed with checking for system updates everyday and like to constantly stare at the security patch date and what Android "letter" is on your device then a pixel is right for you. If you want the latest and greatest hardware and software experience go with a Galaxy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The Pixel technically gets updated as soon as a new security patch is released, but Google isn't particularly good at roll outs in reality either
Google posts he update on the first Tuesday of the month - every month. the next one will be the 6th of August. You can always download the file and sideload it if you can't wait. (Sometimes I'm busy on Tuesday and wait until Wednesday to update, sometimes I flash the whole ROM after backing up [just to be safe] without wiping the phone, but my Pixel has always been updated by the end of the first week of the month. It's not the fixes so much [I'm happy with the phone the way it is now], but the security patches..)

Samsung? Maybe 4 updates a year. With the junk out there on the internet, monthly security patches aren't enough for my taste. (Samsung got the August update around July 2nd, so there's no reason to collect a batch of them before issuing an update. And there's no reason for them to not post it, so that the slightly more knowledgeable users can apply it.)

Samsung's software UI is always years ahead of any current or future Android OS "letter".
For those of us who prefer a different launcher (like Nova), that doesn't matter.

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
Google posts he update on the first Tuesday of the month - every month. the next one will be the 6th of August. You can always download the file and sideload it if you can't wait. (Sometimes I'm busy on Tuesday and wait until Wednesday to update, sometimes I flash the whole ROM after backing up [just to be safe] without wiping the phone, but my Pixel has always been updated by the end of the first week of the month. It's not the fixes so much [I'm happy with the phone the way it is now], but the security patches..)

Samsung? Maybe 4 updates a year. With the junk out there on the internet, monthly security patches aren't enough for my taste. (Samsung got the August update around July 2nd, so there's no reason to collect a batch of them before issuing an update. And there's no reason for them to not post it, so that the slightly more knowledgeable users can apply it.)

For those of us who prefer a different launcher (like Nova), that doesn't matter.

Yes it does because you will have to download a bunch of 3rd party apps to get features that are stock on Samsung's software. Nova even makes you download that stupid telsa notification app just to get notifications. Does Nova offer an apps edge or allow you to open apps in pop-up view or create an app pair? No you'll have to download those knock off ad riddled apps from the play store.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The problem I see all the time on these forums is the OEM (often Samsung by virtue of their sheer volume, but certainly many other manufacturers have been guilty) messing up an update -- sometimes in a minor way, but other times in a catastrophic way (like the recent aforementioned bug locking out S10 users, much like what happened to Blu Life One X2 users a year and a half ago, and what appears to be happening to some Moto G6 users as well). The fault here is not with Google -- they push out an update that works on a reference phone (namely, a Pixel). It's the responsibility of the OEM to take that code and tweak it so that it works correctly on their devices. This is why I personally remain wary of non-Pixel phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12