keypad dialling

sedburgh

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
I use Google to store all my contacts and am very pleased with the options it offers. However on a few occasions I need to dial a number using a keypad. I don't want to create a new contact for this. Is there a way round this or must I use another app?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Can you explain a bit more what the issue is? You should be able to dial a phone without having it in your contacts. When you open your Phone app, if you're not in that tab (depends on what you had open recently), you should see a KEYPAD option. That lets you dial any number, even if it's not saved to your contacts (but will also auto-search through your contacts for the number or name, using the assigned T9 letters).

sedburgh

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
Yes. Looks like I will have to use another app for the rare occasions. Google contacts app has too much on offer to make me change.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Can you name what keeps you using the Google Contacts app? Your Google Contacts sync (unless you disabled it) directly to your phone, so you can still use Google's app for Contact Management but when placing a call, you should be able to use the stock dialer and either input a non-saved number or it will search for your own contacts as you start dialing (and will also provide a Contacts section if you want to go directly to a contact).

sedburgh

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
Google Contacts App, apart from calls offers the following: from within it I can move straight to text messages, email app, video and as it is google I can open the location on google maps or If I wish can show a route to the address. The other great thing is, even with contacts closed, all of my contacts locations appear on google maps, not just local, but nationwide. So you can see why I love it so much

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You should still see that (except for the in-contact directions) using stock apps. Once you installed Google Contacts and you have saved them there, they should still show up on your stock contacts and phone apps, and Maps integration should still be there, too.

The stock dialer, on the Contacts section, can also do what you described above (tap a contact and you get options for text, call, e-mail, etc.). While you would also see location there, to get directions or a map you'd still have to tap on the address (which would take you to your preferred Maps app).

sedburgh

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
Thanks. I see your point, but I much prefer the way Google Contacts works. Needing to use keypad dialling is rare so I will use the stock dialler on those occasions.