Will the S10/S10+ get the new Note 10 Dex setup?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It should. The things they changed are on outside clients (Windows). The DeX experience itself isn't changed much, so support for DeX on Windows should be on all 'modern' DeX devices like the S10, Tab S4 and S5e (and of course the upcoming S6).

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I have a question about Dex and never used it except we tried it once when we got a free one with our Note 8. But now it's built into the 10 plus right? My question is when I go to the gym the treadmills and bike machines have a TV connected and I saw on the back it has an HDMI. So can I buy a cable and plug it into the back and then into my phone and watch my Tivo recorded shows and they show up on the gyms TV monitor? And if so what cable do I need? Thanks!

Last edited:

mcaspe1

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I have a question about Dex and never used it except we tried it once when we got a free one with our Note 8. But now it's built into the 10 plus right? My question is when I go to the gym the treadmills and bike machines have a TV connected and I saw on the back it has an HDMI. So can I buy a cable and plug it into the back and then into my phone and watch my Tio recorded shows and they show up on the gyms TV monitor? And if so what cable do I need? Thanks!

I would think you can.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a question about Dex and never used it except we tried it once when we got a free one with our Note 8. But now it's built into the 10 plus right? My question is when I go to the gym the treadmills and bike machines have a TV connected and I saw on the back it has an HDMI. So can I buy a cable and plug it into the back and then into my phone and watch my Tio recorded shows and they show up on the gyms TV monitor? And if so what cable do I need? Thanks!

Yeah, you can. And not even DeX mode needed (DeX is really a more windows-like environment). For mirroring your device to the TV you can buy an USB-C-TO-HDMI cable. Just check the cable to see if it needs to be connected to a charger for it to work. The most common ones you can find are with one or two extra USB ports alongside the HDMI output.

When you do this, however, the phone will ask if you want to either mirror the phone or enter DeX mode. So just pick whatever mode you prefer! (mirroring requires you to keep the phone screen on at all times while DeX let's you turn it off but still use it as a mkuse/keyboard for the DeX interface.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, you can. And not even DeX mode needed (DeX is really a more windows-like environment). For mirroring your device to the TV you can buy an USB-C-TO-HDMI cable. Just check the cable to see if it needs to be connected to a charger for it to work. The most common ones you can find are with one or two extra USB ports alongside the HDMI output.

When you do this, however, the phone will ask if you want to either mirror the phone or enter DeX mode. So just pick whatever mode you prefer! (mirroring requires you to keep the phone screen on at all times while DeX let's you turn it off but still use it as a mkuse/keyboard for the DeX interface.

I'm confused about cable having to be plugged into a charger part. We're also going out of town and would like to watch Netflix on hotel tv from our phone. So I need a USB-C to HDMI? And do you have to mirror to a Samsung or smart TV? Thanks! I'll look on Amazon for a cable.

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm confused about cable having to be plugged into a charger part. We're also going out of town and would like to watch Netflix on hotel tv from our phone. So I need a USB-C to HDMI? And do you have to mirror to a Samsung or smart TV? Thanks! I'll look on Amazon for a cable.

Some adapters need extra power to work (they can't draw the power from the phone). For instance, this is the one I use on mine. No additional power required for the phone or my tablet to work.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6601308

If you have this and an HDMI cable, you're good as long as the TV you want to mirror to has an HDMI input available. Doesn't have to be a Samsung TV or a smart one, just anything that has HDMI. Now, THAT might be the problem on hotels, as some either don't have any available or are blocked by walls/boxes you can't remove.

Now, for the DeX part. When I plug mine into a TV, if the video app is supported in DeX mode, then I use that (basically the TV becomes a monitor and you get an Android version of Windows/Linux, with your phone becoming a touchpad/keyboard). The advantage of doing that is that while you watch content on the TV, your phone's screen can be off, saving on battery if you don't have this connected to a power adapter.

If the app doesn't work well on DeX, however, you'll have to use mirroring mode, which essentially does that: mirror the phone screen onto the TV. This, however, requires your phone screen to be on at all times; if you turn it off, the image on the TV, since it's mirrored, is also shut off.

Not to add complexity to this, but you can also use wireless mirroring to a Samsung smart TV directly (which most hotels don't have) without having to be on the same network. As long as you have the remote on the TV to put it into the mirroring input, you can connect to it with a Samsung phone using WiFi-Direct.

If you want to do this wirelessly to a non-smart TV, you'd need a mirroring-capable dongle like a Roku stick or a Chromecast. BUT for these to work, both the phone and the dongle need to be in the same WiFi network (and in hotels, this is usually blocked...plus, Chromecast cannot connect to WiFi networks that require an extra login page, like in most hotels).

What I do, since Roku does support hotel WiFi logins, I just carry a Roku stick around and use my video apps to stream that way. It's a lot easier and has a remote.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Some adapters need extra power to work (they can't draw the power from the phone). For instance, this is the one I use on mine. No additional power required for the phone or my tablet to work.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6601526

If you have this and an HDMI cable, you're good as long as the TV you want to mirror to has an HDMI input available. Doesn't have to be a Samsung TV or a smart one, just anything that has HDMI. Now, THAT might be the problem on hotels, as some either don't have any available or are blocked by walls/boxes you can't remove.

Now, for the DeX part. When I plug mine into a TV, if the video app is supported in DeX mode, then I use that (basically the TV becomes a monitor and you get an Android version of Windows/Linux, with your phone becoming a touchpad/keyboard). The advantage of doing that is that while you watch content on the TV, your phone's screen can be off, saving on battery if you don't have this connected to a power adapter.

If the app doesn't work well on DeX, however, you'll have to use mirroring mode, which essentially does that: mirror the phone screen onto the TV. This, however, requires your phone screen to be on at all times; if you turn it off, the image on the TV, since it's mirrored, is also shut off.

Not to add complexity to this, but you can also use wireless mirroring to a Samsung smart TV directly (which most hotels don't have) without having to be on the same network. As long as you have the remote on the TV to put it into the mirroring input, you can connect to it with a Samsung phone using WiFi-Direct.

If you want to do this wirelessly to a non-smart TV, you'd need a mirroring-capable dongle like a Roku stick or a Chromecast. BUT for these to work, both the phone and the dongle need to be in the same WiFi network (and in hotels, this is usually blocked...plus, Chromecast cannot connect to WiFi networks that require an extra login page, like in most hotels).

What I do, since Roku does support hotel WiFi logins, I just carry a Roku stick around and use my video apps to stream that way. It's a lot easier and has a remote.

Thanks! I will show this to my husband. The adapter you linked to is unavailable. We found some video last night that said you need this Samsung adapter plus an HDMI. I just thought an HDMI to USB C would work no adapter. It all confused me but thanks for explaining.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! I will show this to my husband. The adapter you linked to is unavailable. We found some video last night that said you need this Samsung adapter plus an HDMI. I just thought an HDMI to USB C would work no adapter. It all confused me but thanks for explaining.

Yeah, there is no 'one cable' solution for this. You need the USB-C adapter AND an HDMI cable. The one I linked is unavailable but I added it for reference (there should be a ton of similar options). You can, of course, buy the official Samsung adapter (which still needs an HDMI cable to connect to the TV, though) it's just more expensive than 3rd party options that might include more port options.

Tomab

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Most reasonable hotels have support for Netflix built in. No connection required. Just login to their tv Netflix app. Call your hotel beforehand to verify. Anything less than $100 / night may be a crapshoot.

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Most reasonable hotels have support for Netflix built in. No connection required. Just login to their tv Netflix app. Call your hotel beforehand to verify. Anything less than $100 / night may be a crapshoot.

I'm not entering my username & password on a device that I don't own, and have no control over.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm not entering my username & password on a device that I don't own, and have no control over.

This is why I like the Roku stick. It's portable, it's already signed into my services, and it supports hotel logins (which, sadly, Chromecast doesn't... that would be great).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech