wireless charger good or bad?

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm wondering if wireless charger is bad for the phone's battery. I don't always charge my phone to 100% I always keep an eye on the percentage while it's charging.

My mom gifted me with a mophie wireless charger about a year or two ago. But the wireless charger was getting warm and I think my phone got warm one time while charging on the Mophie Wireless charger.

I don't want to ruin the battery or anything by charging it on a wireless charger.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I have been using wireless charging for years at least since the note 3 though I had to get a battery attachment then. I really could not live without it so any phone I get better offer it. The only real disadvantage of using them is they charge slower than wire. I have three wireless chargers and none of them gets hot. are you using the wire that came with it or another?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Wireless chargers will get hot and so will your phone and battery while in use, especially "fast" wireless chargers (quoted because it's not a real thing).

Heat is bad for the battery, but it's pretty unlikely that it will get hot enough to appreciably impact it's life.

However, you should probably use wired charging just because it sounds like you're quite anal when it comes to charging and using a faster wired charger will mean less time spent hovering over the phone checking the percentage.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Maybe time to invest in a new Samsung charger that is certified for S10's. Also, a software issue can cause trouble. Even a battery app if you feel the need to get hard numbers on battery health, temp, etc - but some such apps were doing harm or sending needless personal data "home."

larrykay

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Heat is a byproduct of any charging to some extent...It might get warm, it should not get hot.
I have also been using wireless charging since the Galaxy S5 days, and could probably count on my two hands how many times I have plugged in a wire to charge my phones (S5, S7, S8+, S9, S10+) I would never have a phone that didn't offer it. None of my wireless chargers are Samsung...

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I have been using wireless charging for years at least since the note 3 though I had to get a battery attachment then. I really could not live without it so any phone I get better offer it. The only real disadvantage of using them is they charge slower than wire. I have three wireless chargers and none of them gets hot. are you using the wire that came with it or another?

Yup! I'm using the wire it came with.

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Maybe time to invest in a new Samsung charger that is certified for S10's. Also, a software issue can cause trouble. Even a battery app if you feel the need to get hard numbers on battery health, temp, etc - but some such apps were doing harm or sending needless personal data "home."

Only issue with that.. is it seems Samsung Duo dual wireless charger is the only one compatible with S10+ . I don't need a duo dual wireless charger.

larrykay

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Only issue with that.. is it seems Samsung Duo dual wireless charger is the only one compatible with S10+ . I don't need a duo dual wireless charger.

Huh???
Any QI wireless charger is compatible with the S10+, even the wireless charger in my car charges my S10+. If you are talking about Wireless Fast Charging, then just get one with a power supply that supports it.

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Huh???
Any QI wireless charger is compatible with the S10+, even the wireless charger in my car charges my S10+. If you are talking about Wireless Fast Charging, then just get one with a power supply that supports it.

When I selected which phone it would be compatible with, that's what the Samsung website showed me. So dunno.

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Did you contact Anker about it?

Also, a paid version of a respected battery app that shows temperature and charge.

I bought one charger- did t trust it - took EFI gauge field reading a d it was off the chart bad - not normal, cheap.

I figure a $900 phone deserves a $50 charger
And why I rely on Apple and Samsung parts when possible.
That's the one I bought. It ended up making my phone warm and the wireless charger itself was warm.

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Did you contact Anker about it?

Also, a paid version of a respected battery app that shows temperature and charge.

I bought one charger- did t trust it - took EFI gauge field reading a d it was off the chart bad - not normal, cheap.

I figure a $900 phone deserves a $50 charger
And why I rely on Apple and Samsung parts when possible.

I made an Amazon review of the product.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have an Anker upright charger as well. My battery lasts all day most days, so I throw it on the charger when I go to bed. No issues.

DallasXanadu

Nov 16, 2018
Visit site
I've been charging wirelessly since 2009 with a Palm Pre up through several Nokia Lumia models and now the Galaxy 10+. The lack thereof is a deal breaker for me, or I might have gone the OnePlus route recently. I've never had a phone get more than slightly warm when charging. I used Palm and Nokia branded chargers until recently, when I went the generic route. So far, I've had zero problems with it. Many of the ones sold by Amazon don't include the power supply, so make sure you get a higher-capacity power supply to support quick charging. Mine charges right at 1% every two minutes, the exact same as when I plug it in (according to the estimate on the phone). So if you're worried about "no such thing" as fast wireless charging, you're really splitting hairs. You won't notice a difference if you're doing it right. Here's the one I use - it comes with the power supply.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6606687

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I've been charging wirelessly since 2009 with a Palm Pre up through several Nokia Lumia models and now the Galaxy 10+. The lack thereof is a deal breaker for me, or I might have gone the OnePlus route recently. I've never had a phone get more than slightly warm when charging. I used Palm and Nokia branded chargers until recently, when I went the generic route. So far, I've had zero problems with it. Many of the ones sold by Amazon don't include the power supply, so make sure you get a higher-capacity power supply to support quick charging. Mine charges right at 1% every two minutes, the exact same as when I plug it in (according to the estimate on the phone). So if you're worried about "no such thing" as fast wireless charging, you're really splitting hairs. You won't notice a difference if you're doing it right. Here's the one I use - it comes with the power supply.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6606779

That charger tops out at 10W, wired charging in the S10 line tops out at 18W.

That could only be described as "Splitting hairs" if you don't understand basic maths.

What's more, the S10 is actually quite slow when it comes to wired charging. Compare it to45W charging on the Note 10+ or 60W charging on the OnePlus 7 Pro and the speed of wireless charging is literally laughable.

If you prefer it that's fine, but don't try to claim the speed difference is negligible, because that's patently false.

DallasXanadu

Nov 16, 2018
Visit site
That charger tops out at 10W, wired charging in the S10 line tops out at 18W.

That could only be described as "Splitting hairs" if you don't understand basic maths.

What's more, the S10 is actually quite slow when it comes to wired charging. Compare it to45W charging on the Note 10+ or 60W charging on the OnePlus 7 Pro and the speed of wireless charging is literally laughable.

If you prefer it that's fine, but don't try to claim the speed difference is negligible, because that's patently false.

So when I plug my phone in via USB and it's at 80% and the phone tells me 40 minutes to full, and I do the same thing on the wireless charger and it tells me 42 minutes, you consider that a significant difference? Damn, those two minutes must mean a lot more to you than they do me. To me, that's the very definition of splitting hairs.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
So when I plug my phone in via USB and it's at 80% and the phone tells me 40 minutes to full, and I do the same thing on the wireless charger and it tells me 42 minutes, you consider that a significant difference? Damn, those two minutes must mean a lot more to you than they do me. To me, that's the very definition of splitting hairs.

Well first off, you only fast charge over usb if you use a usb 3.1 port that supports USB-PD.

Second, you're completely right. If you charge at 80% there is very little difference... But don't you think cherry picking results is a bit disingenuous?

Instead, let's be honest. What are the values at 20%? I just checked myself... At 16% battery my "fast" wireless charger says it'll fully charge the battery in 2 Hours and 2 minutes, my wired charger on the other hand claims 1 hour 24 minutes.

I'm sure that most people, myself included, would agree with you that your 2 minute difference (a mere 0.5%) is indeed bifurcating pili. But i would also hope that most people, you included, would be intelligent enough to understand that the 38 minute difference (roughly 31%) from mine is quite significant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos