Not Just another moisture detected error....

stabbedintheface

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I have an unlocked S10 that recently started giving me the dreaded moisture detected error. Like most people, I will swear up and down this phone has never seen any moisture.

However, my case is a little different. I really only ever plug in my phone to do Android Auto in my car. I have wireless chargers everywhere else.

I went through all the normal stuff to get rid of this error ( cleaned port, air blasted it, reset phone to defaults, etc). And nothing working.

Then I tried plugging the phone into another plug. And no moisture error. The moment I plug it into my car I get the moisture error.

So I figure it's the cable I'm using in the car. So I switch out the cables I'm using and I still get the moisture error in the car. I take both cables from the car to another source and no moisture error.

So now i'm thinking it has to be something to do with the Kenwood deck I have.

Here is my problem:

When I take it to Kenwood to get it warrantied they plug in any number of other phones (none of them are an S10) and they have zero problems. So they said there is nothing for them to do with the head unit.

I took my phone to ubrakifix and they of course said...there is nothing wrong with this phone. They can plug it in to any charger and they don't get the error.

This has been going on for well over a month and I'm looking to see if anyone else has run into anything like this or if anyone has any advice.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Just advice - buy a plug-in charger for the car. The Kenwood may not be able to handle the S10 for some reason. (The port is really meant for an mp3 player, not a phone.)

dendron01

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Visit site
I have an unlocked S10 that recently started giving me the dreaded moisture detected error. Like most people, I will swear up and down this phone has never seen any moisture.

However, my case is a little different. I really only ever plug in my phone to do Android Auto in my car. I have wireless chargers everywhere else.

I went through all the normal stuff to get rid of this error ( cleaned port, air blasted it, reset phone to defaults, etc). And nothing working.

Then I tried plugging the phone into another plug. And no moisture error. The moment I plug it into my car I get the moisture error.

So I figure it's the cable I'm using in the car. So I switch out the cables I'm using and I still get the moisture error in the car. I take both cables from the car to another source and no moisture error.

Here is my problem:

When I take it to Kenwood to get it warrantied they plug in any number of other phones (none of them are an S10) and they have zero problems. So they said there is nothing for them to do with the head unit.

I took my phone to ubrakifix and they of course said...there is nothing wrong with this phone. They can plug it in to any charger and they don't get the error.

This has been going on for well over a month and I'm looking to see if anyone else has run into anything like this or if anyone has any advice.
Android Auto does not work well with your device plugged in to charge. I had problems doing this using a Pixel device as well. Not sure of the exact issue, but I believe it has to do with trying to send audio and/or data via the cable when it's plugged in. Given the nature of USB-C and lack of consistency across different devices, that is bound to lead to compatibility issues.

So yes most likely all parties are correct and Android Auto is the real culprit.

I suggest you use wireless charging in the car as well and that should solve it.

stabbedintheface

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Android Auto does not work well with your device plugged in to charge. I had problems doing this using a Pixel device as well. Not sure of the exact issue, but I believe it has to do with trying to send audio and/or data via the cable when it's plugged in. Given the nature of USB-C and lack of consistency across different devices, that is bound to lead to compatibility issues.

So yes most likely all parties are correct and Android Auto is the real culprit.

I suggest you use wireless charging in the car as well and that should solve it.

Crazy that it throws the moisture error though.

The Kenwood place plugged in a pixel and it worked fine. Oddly enough, my wifes S7 works fine also.

I can't use wireless charging because then I can't use Android Auto.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Here is my problem:

Try resetting the head unit by pulling the fuse or disconnect the battery for 15 minutes ?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, yes and no. Android Auto is still running everything. Only difference is the display being used is the phone's.

Actually, just no. AA changes up a number of functions and the display of the phone. If you do a standard Bluetooth connection, that does not use AA. It does not change the display or anything about how the phone operates.

As for the original question, I'm guessing it's a general compatibility problem, which is unlikely to be fixed. Maybe try reaching out to Kenwood's corporate contact instead of a local shop? A local shop is going to be limited in what they can do, especially if this requires a firmware update (you are up to date, right?) or something that their programmers need to address.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
There seems to be some confusion in this thread. Android Auto works integrated with a head unit or without a head unit by just using your device. It doesn't matter which one you use it's still Android Auto. It may look different but it's still Android Auto. It may not seem as beneficial as opposed to running Google Maps but it's still Android Auto.

There are also head units that support Android auto wirelessly but both the device and the head unit must support it.

Lastly, if your head unit supports Android Auto the USB is port is designed for a phone and not just an MP3 player. There may be compatbility issues using Android Auto depending on the head unit and software especially with aftermarket units and especially after an update.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The problem is then I can't use Android Auto.

Plus, it worked before... So weird
Did you recall if this happened after an update? I'm usually the last person to blame updates but that's always a possibility.
If you can't get it working I would factory reset the phone after backing up your data.
You be amazed at some of the problems that solved though I know that seem painfully.
It would also be nice to try another S10+ but that may not be realistic for you.

stabbedintheface

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Did you recall if this happened after an update? I'm usually the last person to blame updates but that's always a possibility.
If you can't get it working I would factory reset the phone after backing up your data.
You be amazed at some of the problems that solved though I know that seem painfully.
It would also be nice to try another S10+ but that may not be realistic for you.

No update. I checked that. I've already factory reset it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax