Screen wakes up when receiving text messages

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I have all the motion and gesture options turned off. What all do I need to do to keep my screen from waking up when receiving a text message?

I noticed my screen waking up when a friend of mine , texted me this evening.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have all the motion and gesture options turned off. What all do I need to do to keep my screen from waking up when receiving a text message?

I noticed my screen waking up when a friend of mine , texted me this evening.
Long press the message app and tap info
Scroll to notifications and tap go down to lock screen tap and choose no notifications.Screenshot_20190817-225839_Settings.jpeg

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Edge lighting and notifications, found in Display settings.

Accessibility Advanced settings Flash notifications

There are almost too many custom settings to control the phone.

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Edge lighting and notifications, found in Display settings.

Accessibility Advanced settings Flash notifications

There are almost too many custom settings to control the phone.

I have Edge lighting off. Flash notifications in Accessibility - Advance settings is also turned off.

I have smart pop up notification turned off as well.

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Maybe can try DND

I could try but then I won't be able to hear notification sounds. I feel like it's like an iPhone... when it lights up when I get a text message. It's really weird.

Samsung Support on Twitter is of no help. They always tell me to go to a walk in Service center. That's what they told me when you were helping me with my DnD not working on my S9+. *insert eyeroll here* lol

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I could try but then I won't be able to hear notification sounds. I feel like it's like an iPhone... when it lights up when I get a text message. It's really weird.

Samsung Support on Twitter is of no help. They always tell me to go to a walk in Service center. That's what they told me when you were helping me with my DnD not working on my S9+. *insert eyeroll here* lol
Yeah I Know Samsung won't be help lol
If i come across something I will report back here... sometimes I can forget to check on things get busy helping members here on the forum just call me out like you have and I'll respond back

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I Know Samsung won't be help lol
If i come across something I will report back here... sometimes I can forget to check on things get busy helping members here on the forum just call me out like you have and I'll respond back

I guess I contacted them, thinking they wouldn't keep telling me to go to a Service center to get a quick evaluation of the device. Their support is a joke.

Thanks! I will. if I don't hear back from you in a while and I haven't figured anything out either, I will mention (call you out) . :)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Lol cool
I guess I contacted them, thinking they wouldn't keep telling me to go to a Service center to get a quick evaluation of the device. Their support is a joke.

Thanks! I will. if I don't hear back from you in a while and I haven't figured anything out either, I will mention (call you out) . :)

Anika Brumbaugh

Oct 1, 2019
Visit site
I had the same issue on my Note 10+, i figured it out. You gotta go to your settings, then find Edge Lighting, dont turn it off. Leave it on, but under Edge Lighting click on MANAGE NOTIFICATIONS, and thats where you select which apps you want to wake up your screen when notifications come through. When i clicked on that, my texts were checked off. Check it off, or whatever app that lights up unclick it. Thats it!

Anika Brumbaugh

Oct 1, 2019
Visit site
See the screenshots

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190930-220031_Edge screen.jpg
    Screenshot_20190930-220031_Edge screen.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20190930-220043_Edge screen.jpg
    Screenshot_20190930-220043_Edge screen.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 22

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue when riding my bike the screen turning on in my pocket when getting a text but I managed somehow to turn it off. I don't remember what I did though. The endless settings in this phone are maddening! If I remember I'll post.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I had the same issue when riding my bike the screen turning on in my pocket when getting a text but I managed somehow to turn it off. I don't remember what I did though. The endless settings in this phone are maddening! If I remember I'll post.
that it does ..since Pie

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
that it does ..since Pie

My previous LG V20 wasn't this complicated when trying to change some settings. I don't think its Android but Samsung and their implementation of personal customization.

Ok, I think I remember, lol.....

When the screen wakes from the notification.....click (or long press/hold) on that notification and I believe the setting is somewhere in there not to wake screen anymore. So you should 'hear' the notification but the screen won't wake....especially if its in your pocket....so stupid!! I hope that was it, lol.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My previous LG V20 wasn't this complicated when trying to change some settings. I don't think its Android but Samsung and their implementation of personal customization.

Ok, I think I remember, lol.....

When the screen wakes from the notification.....click (or long press/hold) on that notification and I believe the setting is somewhere in there not to wake screen anymore. So you should 'hear' the notification but the screen won't wake....especially if its in your pocket....so stupid!! I hope that was it, lol.
Yeah I dont remember in Oreo(8.0) being this bad , I mean you have a notification for anything now lol.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Sitting here at work, I just noticed my screen wakes up when I receive a text from my brother so I offer my humble apology for not knowing what I'm talking about. Hope you find your solution OP.