It's the little things that still drive me crazy.

DallasXanadu

Nov 16, 2018
Visit site
I've just recently dipped my toes back into the Android waters after 6+ years of Windows/Apple. I did briefly have an Android phone in 2012, but it was not a good experience. I'm now rolling with a Samsung S10+, and while overall I LOVE it, there are still those minor, yet confusing, annoyances. Honestly, some of them are probably Samsung, not Android. For instance, I usually mute the phone with the 3-way toggle from the drop down menu (on/vibrate/mute). Every time I use that button to unmute, all the different volumes turn back on except 'notifications'. I go into sounds/volume, and that slider is always at zero. Also, I have random icons just disappear from the home screen for no apparent reason. I can prevent it by locking the home screen, which I do. But I shouldn't have to.

And there are a dozen other little things, like if I clear FB notifications on my laptop, the badge notifications don't reset on my FB app. That might be an issue with the app, but not something that happened on iPhone. Or even W10 for that matter. My biggest gripe 7 years ago was the huge disparity in app stores, especially because identical iPhone apps always seemed to have features that the Android version didn't have. For the most part the Play store seems to have caught up.

Anyway, bottom line is that I know nothing is perfect, I just wanted to rant a little I suppose. I mean, I did switch from Apple to Android for a reason. That is all, carry on.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I think Android 10, once it gets to our S10, will be welcome change.

About volume control:

Adjust All Volume Levels Anywhere

Android 9 Pie made a bold change in how the volume rocker worked by making the media volume the default action. This was a huge win for those in the Android community who had been asking for this for years. But Google isn't stopping there. With Android 10, Google is making all volume levels even easier to access.

Instead of having to enter Settings for some volume levels, you can now manage the volume of your media, calls, ringer, and alarms from any screen. After pressing the volume rocker to bring up the volume menu, choose the icon at the bottom of the menu. This will bring up a new popup which provides access to each of the manageable volume bars found in the Settings.
_______

https://android.gadgethacks.com/new...0-new-features-you-should-know-about-0192760/

Samsung and Microsoft want to improve and lessen the gap so it is more friendly and yes Apple like.

Like you iOS seemed more refined apps in the past. It may be reversed now.
Can there be too many options for customization of features?
Can a smart phone even be... too smart, know too much about you, suggesting things?

DallasXanadu

Nov 16, 2018
Visit site
Instead of having to enter Settings for some volume levels, you can now manage the volume of your media, calls, ringer, and alarms from any screen. After pressing the volume rocker to bring up the volume menu, choose the icon at the bottom of the menu. This will bring up a new popup which provides access to each of the manageable volume bars found in the Settings.

This sounds great, and something my Windows phone did for years. What I'm talking about though is that when I mute my phone thusly:
Screenshot.jpg

whenever I unmute it, all the different volume levels return to where they were previously, except for notifications. Which is really the most important one in my world. Just a weird little bug.
Screenshot.jpg

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

This sounds great, and something my Windows phone did for years. What I'm talking about though is that when I mute my phone thusly:
View attachment 308388

whenever I unmute it, all the different volume levels return to where they were previously, except for notifications. Which is really the most important one in my world. Just a weird little bug.
View attachment 308389

That does not happen with my S10+. You def have a particular problem there. There are so many settings that it could be anywhere. Hope you get it resolved!

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Agreed, my notifications volume goes right back to where it was.

My beef with notification volume is, at some point no matter how much lower you make the slider go, the volume stays the same. And it's too loud.

I'm not alone in this beef, and Samsung knows about it. This wasn't the case on my S9+, but it is on my S10+. I expect I'll have to live with that until I change phones.