I'm an iPhone user primarily, however, my area's towers have all been upgraded so AT&T's 5G+ network is available, meaning I will have use of the mmWave or upper band 5G.

Does anyone here use the s10 and 5G? Wondering what your experience with it has been. AT&T claims the s10 5G will work on their upper and lower band 5G. Contemplating making the switch, I need to replace my phone anyhow, and iPhone this year is essentially a new camera.

For those in cities able to utilize mmWave, what has your experience been? Thanks
    09-11-2019 08:22 AM
    Here's the question, why?

You'll need a more expensive phone and a more expensive plan, what are the advantages?

If you're in an area with 5G, chances are you also have good 4G, do you regularly use your phone and think the mobile internet speed is incredibly slow?

If not, what's the point of spending the money besides being able to say that you have it?
    EMGSM likes this.
    09-11-2019 08:41 AM
    My plan stays the same, I already have the right plan package. Mainly want it to supplement our current internet. This location is stuck with DSL, the 4G speed works but for large GB files it would be nice to download them quicker.
    09-11-2019 09:11 AM
    Sounds like you've made the decision to be honest. Might as well stop the umming and ahhing and just buy the phone lol.

This is a perspective from an island dweller, but it seems insane to me that you're in a location where they're rolling out 5G, but the best internet you can get is DSL!
    09-11-2019 09:40 AM
    Here's the question, why?

You'll need a more expensive phone and a more expensive plan, what are the advantages?

If you're in an area with 5G, chances are you also have good 4G, do you regularly use your phone and think the mobile internet speed is incredibly slow?

If not, what's the point of spending the money besides being able to say that you have it?
    These are the same questions I asked myself.
    09-11-2019 12:23 PM
    My plan stays the same, I already have the right plan package. Mainly want it to supplement our current internet. This location is stuck with DSL, the 4G speed works but for large GB files it would be nice to download them quicker.
    Are you losing sleep over deciding whether or not to get it? If so, it's your money and if it's more convenient for you then go for it. Otherwise I would consider the questions @fuzzylumpkin brought up.
    09-11-2019 12:29 PM
    I'm an iPhone user primarily, however, my area's towers have all been upgraded so AT&T's 5G+ network is available, meaning I will have use of the mmWave or upper band 5G.

Does anyone here use the s10 and 5G? Wondering what your experience with it has been. AT&T claims the s10 5G will work on their upper and lower band 5G. Contemplating making the switch, I need to replace my phone anyhow, and iPhone this year is essentially a new camera.

For those in cities able to utilize mmWave, what has your experience been? Thanks
    Only if you have 5g coverage in your area. Sprint launched in NyC and it's amazing speeds on my s10 5g
    09-11-2019 09:06 PM
    Question. Does AT&T cap 5G? If they do, downloading big files just gets you to the cap pretty quickly. I, too, have crappy DSL and would love to use 5G for things at home. But, in my area, 5G is months away and when it does arrive, there are currently no data plans that would compete with my DSL as far as total data usage is concerned. I will upgrade to 5G when the S11 arrives. The 865 chip is rumored to have 5G integrated, so there should be no 5G premium on the phone and it should be more battery friendly. It should also be more universal in 5G band support. I can wait the 5 or 6 months.
    09-13-2019 09:25 AM

I would sit this out for a bit. The first Gen phones all have to use an extra modem for 5G as it isn't built into the SoC yet. This will lower battery life. A further battery life hit will come as the phone will constantly be switching from 5G to 4G just as we saw with the 4G early adopters (I am one).

Also, @ the non MMWave frequencies 5G is only marginally better than 4G. Even if MMWave is available in your area the chances of it working indoors are pretty close to zero.

However, if it isn't a money issue and you are willing to be a Guinea pig then have at it.
    09-14-2019 09:12 PM
    I'm personally going to wait until it becomes more mainstream. Not to many have it right now.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    09-14-2019 09:39 PM
    I'm personally going to wait until it becomes more mainstream. Not to many have it right now.
    I agree..
    EMGSM likes this.
    09-14-2019 09:49 PM