Any of you jumping to the Pixel 4?

Gix1k

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm so torn here. Now that my S10+ has Android 10, the only thing I'm gaining is a marginally better camera and a "worse" screen.

Your thought?

dendron01

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Visit site
Their Face ID security (without fingerprint scanner) using the camera is a joke. Massive fail. I'm betting we'll see a price cut within a month. How a huge company like Google managed to drop the ball in this is absolutely mind boggling.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Their Face ID security is a joke. Massive fail. I'm betting we'll see a price cut within a month. How a huge company like Google managed to drop the ball in this is absolutely mind boggling.
Why do you say that ? I heard it was quick and accurate.

dendron01

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Visit site
Why do you say that ? I heard it was quick and accurate.
Quick and accurate doesn't equal secure.

There is a reason Apple invested so heavily in 3D facial scanning technology before they even bothered to introduce Face ID on an iPhone. And it wasn't so we could have cute animated 3D emojiis.

I'll the take the real and proven biometric security provided on my S10+, thank you very much.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I was not going to buy the Pixel 3 because I didn't think there was a big enough difference between that and my Pixel 2 to justify an upgrade.

But the Pixel 4... Well, it looks great but I just don't want to spend that money on it. It's an amazing phone, no doubt about that. I'm due for an upgrade - will get the S10/10e. Maybe I'll look out for the Pixel 5.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

There is a reason Apple invested so heavily in 3D facial scanning technology before they even bothered to introduce Face ID on an iPhone. And it wasn't so we could have cute animated 3D emojiis.

I'll the take the real and proven biometric security provided on my S10+, thank you very much.
Lol... gotcha , I didn't hear about how secure it was yet as I'm still at work , but later will watch some YouTube on it .

dendron01

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Visit site
Haha...it supposed to be 3d face unlock
Supposed to be, but what that means to Google is anyone's guess. It seems we are supposed to just take their word for it.

They certainly aren't saying that much about it, which is not only surprising given it would be an Android first to have proper 3D facial recognition...but doesn't give us any indication whether it's any better than Apple's tech (sarcastic missives by Google aside) let alone trustworthy enough.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Supposed to be, but what that means to Google is anyone's guess. It seems we are supposed to just take their word for it.

They certainly aren't saying that much about it, which is not only surprising given it would be an Android first to have proper 3D facial recognition...but doesn't give us any indication whether it's any better than Apple's tech (sarcastic missives by Google aside) let alone trustworthy enough.
We see what YouTuber say in their reviews

dendron01

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Visit site
We see what YouTuber say in their reviews
I'll take a wild guess the Tubers will love it as long as its fast and easy, but won't have a frigging clue as to how it really works, how secure it is or indeed what it's actually doing because...well, Google has provided next to zero explanation and clearly expects us to take their word for it, no questions asked...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'll take a wild guess the Tubers will love it as long as its fast and easy, but won't have a frigging clue as to how it really works, how secure it is or indeed what it's actually doing because...well, Google has provided next to zero explanation and clearly expects us to take their word for it, no questions asked...
People going to closely review it , it's a big thing and want to know how it stacks against apple

dendron01

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Visit site
People going to closely review it , it's a big thing and want to know how it stacks against apple
Not saying they won't review it and even compare it to Apple ad nausea, but that's not my point. What the heck will they know about how it works when even Google themselves have said next to nothing about it? Apple gave a very detailed and IMO credible explanation to win over the trust of their customers. It's also been actively implemeted and proven for two years running.

Google has done nothing of the sort and quite frankly its quite shocking, given Android's absolutely laughable reputation in this area.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site

Because Samsung scanning your face is secure? But Google doing it is not? I guess I don't see the correlation as to why Samsung face unlock is more secure.

dendron01

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Visit site
Because Samsung scanning your face is secure? But Google doing it is not? I guess I don't see the correlation as to why Samsung face unlock is more secure.
LOL I never said Samsung face unlock was secure. Face unlock on Android period has been a complete joke up to this point. For Google to not only come out with something they claim is secure, but take a swipe at Apple in the process is IMO a big gamble.

Barely a few weeks ago Google was caught red handed with one its contractors testing their new face unlock on homeless people. They had to cancel the testing program. You ready to trust your credit cards with it?

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
LOL I never said Samsung face unlock was secure. Face unlock on Android period has been a complete joke up to this point. For Google to not only come out with something they claim is secure, but take a swipe at Apple in the process is IMO a big gamble.

Barely a few weeks ago Google was caught red handed with one its contractors testing their new face unlock on homeless people. They had to cancel the testing program. You ready to trust your credit cards with it?
I did not know about the cancelled experiment. That's a major "whoops" to say the least.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Not saying they won't review it and even compare it to Apple ad nausea, but that's not my point. What the heck will they know about how it works when even Google themselves have said next to nothing about it? Apple gave a very detailed and IMO credible explanation to win over the trust of their customers. It's also been actively implemeted and proven for two years running.

Google has done nothing of the sort and quite frankly its quite shocking, given Android's absolutely laughable reputation in this area.
I don't know why you getting so nervous about this ? Phone just was announced .