No MMS with Wifi Calling Turned on.

Jul 3, 2018
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S10

I was having a ton of trouble receiving picture messages (MMS) whenever Wifi Calling is active.

I tried Stock Samsung Messages app, Textra, and Google Messages. (currently still using Google Messages)

My home has horrible reception (outside great, inside horrid), so after Wifi calling went active (we used to use a microcell that had horrible data speeds) we figured most issues would be fixed.

Well now, I get day late clues (no notification at all) that someone sent me a MMS and i have to "download" it. Or, if someone sent me a MMS while wifi/wifi calling were turned on, I would see the spinning photo box, but it would never show a picture. Not until I restarted my phone in good data coverage or by random it would work. I thought it had something to do with Iphones sending to my android (as most of the people I know use iphone), but found out last week that it was Android as well. After hours of trial and error, I thought it was wifi itself. But this happens at work (where I have great 4glte and 5g) and while at home (where I have horrible 4glte inside the house). After digging further and further, I found WIFI CALLING to be the culprit.

If i receive a MMS while wifi calling is active, It will not download. You cannot receive the message and just turn wifi calling off, as it won't download still. You have to receive the message while wifi calling is turned off to properly receive the picture message.

I should note, I can SEND MMS with wifi calling turned on. I just cannot RECEIVE any MMS.

Anyone have any idea on what to do?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Settings > About phone > Send feedback

Let them know. (MMS receive should default to data when both are on, unless your carrier wants it to be done differently.)

You could also take the phone to a carrier company store and see if their tech people can help.

Jul 3, 2018
Visit site
There is no "Send Feedback" under Settings>About Phone

Carrier is ATT.

My old S9 did the same thing. I chucked it up to being "older" to convince myself to go to the S10.

Jul 3, 2018
Visit site
I visited the ATT store, they could not help me and suggested that I call ATT tech support.
Which I did. Apparently, this issue is directly related to Samsung's latest update.

There are a bunch of claims in stating that people cannot send/recieve MMS when wifi calling is turned on.
It is a known issue at ATT/Samsung, but they haven't done anything since the beginning of October for it.

So, their best suggestion is to WAIT, and to turn off your WIFI calling at the moment.

bbgpsuser

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
My wife's AT&T S9+ has the same issue. Also with wifi calling enabled, her S9+ just eats the battery. I have also seen posts of people with AT&T Note 10s having the issue also. I think AT&T made a change and is blaming Samsung.

Wifi calling isn't an option on my unlocked Note 10+.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I visited the ATT store, they could not help me and suggested that I call ATT tech support.
Which I did. Apparently, this issue is directly related to Samsung's latest update.

There are a bunch of claims in stating that people cannot send/recieve MMS when wifi calling is turned on.
It is a known issue at ATT/Samsung, but they haven't done anything since the beginning of October for it.

So, their best suggestion is to WAIT, and to turn off your WIFI calling at the moment.
It's a known bug , can try different message app like textra or Google messages.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's not an app issue. I've tried 3 different apps and they all failed with the same symptoms.
Samsung Messages, Textta, and Google Messages. All the same issue. It has to do with the wifi calling.
Yes your correct I've been hearing it's a bug , was hopeful another message app might help:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37