The sms/mms protocols are absolutely awful. Videos are compressed so badly they're worthless. You get no delivery confirmations and, as much as I hate Apple everything (and I do), they are light years ahead of us with iMessage. I thought rcs was right around the corner and that we'd have all of those features. In fact, I read somewhere that Google Messages was already using rcs. You sure could have fooled me. As a test I sent a one minute video from my S10+ to my wife's Note 9 and it went through as that crap mms so the video looked like a grainy 1990 vintage mess on her phone. We're both on Verizon and we are both using Google Messages.

When is Android going to come out of the dark ages?
    kct1975 likes this.
    11-10-2019 07:20 PM
    The sms/mms protocols are absolutely awful. Videos are compressed so badly they're worthless. You get no delivery confirmations and, as much as I hate Apple everything (and I do), they are light years ahead of us with iMessage. I thought rcs was right around the corner and that we'd have all of those features. In fact, I read somewhere that Google Messages was already using rcs. You sure could have fooled me. As a test I sent a one minute video from my S10+ to my wife's Note 9 and it went through as that crap mms so the video looked like a grainy 1990 vintage mess on her phone. We're both on Verizon and we are both using Google Messages.

You use the trick to enable RCS in Google messages?
    11-10-2019 08:01 PM
    You use the trick to enable RCS in Google messages?
    What trick? Is there a way to activate/get rcs?

If so, please enlighten me.
    11-10-2019 08:03 PM
    What trick? Is there a way to activate/get rcs?

If so, please enlighten me.
    Use the first link in beginning

https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=983319
    11-10-2019 08:05 PM
    Thanks Mustang. That was pretty complicated but I have it installed now. Still can't see if a text was received and/or read. Does the other party's phone also have to have this installed and running for the sender to get delivery receipts?
    mustang7757 likes this.
    11-10-2019 08:39 PM
    Thanks Mustang. That was pretty complicated but I have it installed now. Still can't see if a text was received and/or read. Does the other party's phone also have to have this installed and running for the sender to get delivery receipts?
    Yes both party need RCS enable , to verify this go into settings of Google message and see if chats feature is connected.

Your welcome!RCS coming to Google Messages?-screenshot_20191110-204211.jpeg
    11-10-2019 08:42 PM
    And when RCS is enabled it be dark blue bubble to another RCS Party or if they don't it will send as sms and light blue
    11-10-2019 08:45 PM
    So although I am happy that I have it set up now, it's really essentially worthless unless most or all of my text partners are also on rcs. Given the complexity of enabling it that I just went through that is never going to happen. Why doesn't Google just automatically make it the way Messages works right out of the box so everyone has it by default?

This is very weird.
    11-10-2019 08:50 PM
    So although I am happy that I have it set up now, it's really essentially worthless unless most or all of my text partners are also on rcs. Given the complexity of enabling it that I just went through that is never going to happen. Why doesn't Google just automatically make it the way Messages works right out of the box so everyone has it by default?

This is very weird.
    I think they are working on this with all carrier to happen by next year , kinda like having 5g right now where it's not wide spread yet lol
    11-10-2019 08:51 PM
    Well, I guess I can now consider myself future proofed while I wait for the rest of the world to catch up. Grrrrrrr.

What a drag.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    11-10-2019 09:19 PM
    Well, I guess I can now consider myself future proofed while I wait for the rest of the world to catch up. Grrrrrrr.

What a drag.
    Lol...I have others with RCS and some not, but look at this way can get and send better pictures and videos and works on wifi
    11-10-2019 09:48 PM

This is very weird.
    They don't because that previously linked thing is a hack and not an actual launch.
    11-11-2019 03:50 AM
    In the UK RCS is available on all networks now. My kids and husband are using it and my friend Elayne. So we use it all the time over WhatsApp and Hangouts
    11-11-2019 05:43 AM

Damn bro.. talk about being angry because you don't know any better. Wow. Read a bit more next time before u rant.

I'm 100% sure that if u just typed "enable RCS" or even just RCS in Google search, u'd have found tons of "how to enable RCS" results. Just like the pic attached.
    Attached Thumbnails RCS coming to Google Messages?-190645.jpg  
    11-11-2019 01:07 PM
    It's live now... no hack needed.
    11-14-2019 02:28 PM
    It's live now... no hack needed.
    Not everywhere but supposedly it's rolling out to some today.
    11-14-2019 02:36 PM
    Hurry up update......Go Google Go!
    mustang7757 likes this.
    11-14-2019 05:12 PM
    Do you all prefer the google messaging app over the samsung version? Personally I like the samsung messages particularly because I can pin my favorite contacts to the top of all other text messages. I dont know if RCS is enough for me to switch messaging apps.
    11-14-2019 06:41 PM
    Do you all prefer the google messaging app over the samsung version? Personally I like the samsung messages particularly because I can pin my favorite contacts to the top of all other text messages. I dont know if RCS is enough for me to switch messaging apps.
    I do prefer Samsung message but unless your on the carrier version no RCS
    Adawg1203 likes this.
    11-14-2019 06:47 PM
    Just switched to Google messages from Textra to try the RCS feature. Looks like it's working with Verizon.

My question is, is there a way to set up messages so it wakes up my screen when I receive a new text message? With Textra, if my phone is on the desk in front of me, it will wake the screen up and show a preview of the text. I can't seem to get that with messages, and with my phone on silent at work, it is useful to see a pop up. I don't use AOD.
    11-15-2019 09:05 PM
    Just switched to Google messages from Textra to try the RCS feature. Looks like it's working with Verizon.

My question is, is there a way to set up messages so it wakes up my screen when I receive a new text message? With Textra, if my phone is on the desk in front of me, it will wake the screen up and show a preview of the text. I can't seem to get that with messages, and with my phone on silent at work, it is useful to see a pop up. I don't use AOD.
    For some reason it wont wake up the screen with no AOD, but with AOD it shows
    11-15-2019 09:23 PM
    oh ok. I'm try it with AOD.
    I usually leave it off to save battery
    11-16-2019 01:28 AM