Thinking about upgrading to S10 from S8. How's that fingerprint sensor working these days?

rsdroid

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm considering the jump from the S8 to the S10 or S10e. Been researching and comparing and I was originally planning on going with the S10e due to the smaller size and the more reliable fingerprint sensor. And because for some reason I didn't realize the S10 still has the headphone jack as well and originally thought only the S10e had it, which was gonna be a dealbreaker. Now that I figured out the S10 also retained the headphone jack, it's making my choice much harder.

Things I like about the S10e - flat screen and more reliable fingerprint sensor
Things I like about the S10 - the telephoto camera and more RAM (more futureproof)

While I would prefer a flat screen, I can certainly live with the curved screen. I have smaller hands, so being able to one hand it is nice, however I've had larger phones as well and always adjust. I'll also put a pop socket on it right away.

The main thing I want the S10 for is the telephoto camera. I have not been super happy with the S8 camera. And I think it will feel like more of an upgrade than the S10e.

The main concern I've had about the S10 is the complaints about the fingerprint sensor. I'm used to a very snappy one on the S8. Have the updates improved it enough to not be annoying in everyday use? Also, for those that don't have problems with it, are you using a screen protector and if so, what kind/brand?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm considering the jump from the S8 to the S10 or S10e. Been researching and comparing and I was originally planning on going with the S10e due to the smaller size and the more reliable fingerprint sensor. And because for some reason I didn't realize the S10 still has the headphone jack as well and originally thought only the S10e had it, which was gonna be a dealbreaker. Now that I figured out the S10 also retained the headphone jack, it's making my choice much harder.

Things I like about the S10e - flat screen and more reliable fingerprint sensor
Things I like about the S10 - the telephoto camera and more RAM (more futureproof)

While I would prefer a flat screen, I can certainly live with the curved screen. I have smaller hands, so being able to one hand it is nice, however I've had larger phones as well and always adjust. I'll also put a pop socket on it right away.

The main thing I want the S10 for is the telephoto camera. I have not been super happy with the S8 camera. And I think it will feel like more of an upgrade than the S10e.

The main concern I've had about the S10 is the complaints about the fingerprint sensor. I'm used to a very snappy one on the S8. Have the updates improved it enough to not be annoying in everyday use? Also, for those that don't have problems with it, are you using a screen protector and if so, what kind/brand?
If you can try test out the fingerprint sensor at a carrier store or best buy , not sure demo units can test that though otherwise you usually have 14 days to test it and see how it works before committing to it

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded from S7 before Samsung updated the sensor recently. Initially I was not impress, but it's working about 90+% of the time now with fully naked screen.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I understand your concerns.

I too was between the S10 and the S10e. I wanted the flatter screen and the super-fascinating side-mounted fingerprint scanner. And I loved the smaller size.

But in the end, I chose the S10 for the telephoto lens, a new experience (I've always used smaller phpnes), bigger battery, and the knowledge that I could always get the S10e instead if the S10 didn't meet my needs. By the second week, I knew I was keeping it.

I'd say the fingerprint scanner is really good. Is it faster than my Pixel 2? No. Do I kind of "miss the mark" sometimes when I'm in a hurry/when I'm walking outside in the cold? Absolutely! But I think this new in-display fingerprint tech is hard to judge now because it's still in its infancy stage. Comparing it to other scanners is akin to apples and oranges when you think about it. But, it's snappy and I'm sure with future updates it will become even better. I love being able to unlock my phone with my fingerprint when it's lying flat on a table, couch, etc.

Screen protectors... That's a doozy. It took me about four or five stores to finally find a tempered glass screen protector that would work with my S10's fingerprint scanner. Mine has a cutout for my fingerprint. I wasn't a huge fan of it after installation but I refused to not have one the day I got the phone, so I stuck with it for three weeks. I'm ordering a three-pack tempered glass screen protector (that covers everything and works with the fingerprint scanner) that's supposed to be coming tomorrow. I'll post a screenshot of the product below.

Plastic vs tempered glass seems difficult here because plastic films apparently help with reading your fingerprint. I've heard Whitedome is good - I think that's the brand name! I usually read reviews on Amazon or read product specifications carefully before buying. Don't worry! You will have plastic film/tempered glass options if you do decide to get an S10.

Let us know what you decide! It's definitely a hard choice, to be sure.
8531ba662af935def7c9c3723467e5cf.jpg

Last edited:

turbochgd

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
The fingerprint scanner is actually quite accurate. Rarely does it not work the first time. Wasn't like this when I first got the phone 3 weeks ago. But at least two updates to improve it were released and I also followed some tips from online.

I'm using the original screen protector that the phone came with. It's film not glass. But from what I've read here on the forum there are glass protectors that work well with the fingerprint.

The phone (mine is S10+) is awesome in every way. The fingerprint reader is very cutting edge and will only continue to get better. Is it faster than the hardware FP readers? No. But it's real good and very cool to use.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I got a new S10 + beginning of October. The fingerprint sensor was flaky when I first got the phone. However, once I got the update for the fingerprint sensor I've had no problems with any of the four fingerprints I've registered.

rsdroid

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all for the helpful replies! This is what I was hoping to hear. Just ordered the S10. I figured I'd rather try it and know for sure if it's going to work for me or not rather than play it safe with the S10e and always wonder.

I can always return it in the 14 days if it doesn't work for me. I looked at them again in the store yesterday and the phones are the same width, so I don't think one handing it is going to be any different between the two.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all for the helpful replies! This is what I was hoping to hear. Just ordered the S10. I figured I'd rather try it and know for sure if it's going to work for me or not rather than play it safe with the S10e and always wonder.

I can always return it in the 14 days if it doesn't work for me. I looked at them again in the store yesterday and the phones are the same width, so I don't think one handing it is going to be any different between the two.

I too have small hands and I'm surprisingly apt at holding the S10. I think you will adjust well. So glad you made a decision! The S10 is a wonderful phone and I'm glad I have the telephoto lens. Let us know how you are liking it! What size and colour did you get?!

rsdroid

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I too have small hands and I'm surprisingly apt at holding the S10. I think you will adjust well. So glad you made a decision! The S10 is a wonderful phone and I'm glad I have the telephoto lens. Let us know how you are liking it! What size and colour did you get?!

I got the regular S10 in Blue! The S10+ would definitely be too big for me. Almost got white, but blue is my fav color. It's supposed to be an in store pickup, so hoping to be able to pick it up today. Got a Poetic case on the way from Amazon.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I got the regular S10 in Blue! The S10+ would definitely be too big for me. Almost got white, but blue is my fav color. It's supposed to be an in store pickup, so hoping to be able to pick it up today. Got a Poetic case on the way from Amazon.
I'm so excited for you! The Blue colour is awesome! I got the White version, myself. Let us know when you get it! Happy Phone Day!

rsdroid

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Ok, has anyone found a case that can work with a magnetic car mount, be able to put a pop socket on and have some decent protection?

I like the looks of the UAG cases, but doesn't look like any of them will work with either a magnet on the inside or a pop socket.

I ordered a Poetic case with the kickstand, but not for the kick stand, only because it looks like the kick stand lies totally flush when folded and I might be able to put a pop socket on over it.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
And S11 is now 4-5 months out....
That may be true, but from what I've seen, it did not interest me enough to wait. Sometimes users will wait for the new device to launch and will then get the previous iteration at a discount. Time will tell how the S11 does but sometimes there's not enough of a difference in specs to get the upcoming iteration instead of the previous year's.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Congratulations! I hope you like your blue S10. I have the blue S10+.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Sammobile is probably on everyone's list of sites to visit.... S11 camera, battery, what the next SoC offers...
https://www.sammobile.com/news/smallest-samsung-galaxy-s11-could-have-a-surprisingly-big-battery/

If you have not bought a phone in 2 years, well we see now that updates are frequent and regular and Project Treble and more are paying dividends. And wasn't the S8 an SD835 ? I look forward to UFS3 storage for one.
And who gets Android 10? which Google has said some security issues will not be made to pre-10 versions - the S8/Note 8 did not ship with Oreo, so they are out of the running it seems.
https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/android-10-update

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis