Any new or improved screen protectors for the S10 plus?

4rings

Apr 9, 2019
Visit site
It's time for me to remove the stock Samsung screen protector that my S10 plus came with and get a new one. The problem is that all of the information I'm seeing is about eight months old. The phone has received several FPS software updates, and perhaps there have been some product updates along the way. Have there been any improvements around the finger print sensor? I am leaning towards the Whitestone Dome screen protector, but I feel as though I can't trust anything I see or read today.

Thank you.

Last edited:

4rings

Apr 9, 2019
Visit site
I was hoping for some recent end user experiences vs. (outdated) YouTube reviews that were posted prior to a series of FPS and possible product updates. Has anyone installed a screen protector on their S10 or S10 plus within the past few months that can comment on how well (or not) the FPS is working.

Which screen protector did you choose and are you satisfied with it?

I was also considering the Clearview liquid tempered glass screen protector but can't find where to purchase it. I can only find it for the S10.

Thank you.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I did a review awhile back.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=959555

Not much has changed. It still works great for me on both my S10+ and Note 10+

For the record I never had a problem with FPS before or after the updates.
As a side note, a very positive feature of their adhesive is that even when the screen protector cracks it stays pretty intact and sometimes you can't see the crack so if you don't want to change it right away you can just keep using it.

4rings

Apr 9, 2019
Visit site
@MikeDee - I'm glad you haven't had any problems with yours. It seems like your experience is in the minority though.....
@Rose4uKY - I can understand why you don't want Whitestone.....

Judging by Amazon only, most recent reviewers/verified purchasers are NOT happy with the product, and for various reasons, ranging from installation issues, FPS not working after installation, cracking, peeling etc. It's a crap shoot, and for the price they're asking, Whitestone Dome is a 'No' for me.

Which makes me wonder.....is a screen protector even necessary? Isn't the Gorilla glass supposed to be scratch resistant? I can see the added protection in the event of an accidental drop, but from an everyday usage stand point of taps, swipes and in/out of your pocket. Is anyone not using a screen protector and scratch free?

Thank you.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Which makes me wonder.....is a screen protector even necessary? Isn't the Gorilla glass supposed to be scratch resistant? I can see the added protection in the event of an accidental drop, but from an everyday usage stand point of taps, swipes and in/out of your pocket. Is anyone not using a screen protector and scratch free?
To answer your last request I haven't had a screen protector on mine for the past 5 months. There are no scratches on mine as of yet. Also I didn't have one on my s9+ for the majority of the time I had it (from launch of the s9 to the launch of s10) and it didn't get any scratches either.

To me the only advantage of a screen protector is for possible drop protection not scratch protection. If you want scratch protection don't put your phone in your pocket with stuff in your pocket .

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
@MikeDee - I'm glad you haven't had any problems with yours. It seems like your experience is in the minority though.....

Judging by Amazon only, most recent reviewers/verified purchasers are NOT happy with the product, and for various reasons, ranging from installation issues, FPS not working after installation, cracking, peeling etc. It's a crap shoot, and for the price they're asking, Whitestone Dome is a 'No' for me.

Thank you.
If I was in the minority they wouldnt be selling. Unfortunately you'll see more often than not people post bad experiences instead of good ones. If I was to rely on Amazon reviews I would never buy anything.

To answer your question about Gorilla Glass...it is scratch resistant and for the most part if you are careful with your phone it will resist scratches, however a screen can get scratched when you least expect it. They also help prevent screen cracking from some drops. In the past I never broke a screen by dropping it but I'm hesitant to go without one these days with devices that have curved screens.

Last edited:

WCinLA

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
I put the Whitestone on my S10. Looks great, but fingerprint scanner is almost not worth using now. It works, but not well.
Best thing I loved about my S8 was the fingerprint scanner.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
To me the only advantage of a screen protector is for possible drop protection not scratch protection. If you want scratch protection don't put your phone in your pocket with stuff in your pocket .

A screen protector is exactly that, designed to prevent scratches. A film protector will not prevent cracks from drops and even a glass protector is not a guarantee against cracks from drops.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
So what is the best screen protector where the FP still works besides Whitestone. I don't need glass just an easy one to put on. Mine is so scratched up already. Samsung had sent me a 2 pack and I lost one and the other got messed up in my purse. I've always gone to the Zagg stand at the mall as I previously stated but heard it wasn't so great for the 10 plus. I'll have to search Amazon I guess.

4rings

Apr 9, 2019
Visit site
It's hit or miss as to whether the FPS works with Whitestone. Let us know which one you choose and whether the FPS works after installation and creating new scans. Quite frankly, I can honestly say that for me, that with the original screen protector, applying all of the updates and creating new scans, the FPS probably only works about 50% of the time.....very disappointing. Curious if it's just me.....

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site

Thank you.
I too have been considering screen protectors. Initially I considered going naked. I went back and forth with it saying several times that the condition of my protector was bad enough to just removed it. Obviously I haven't. What I've now noticed is that in addition to the damage the screen protector has taken/saved me from, whichever, there is clearly wear in my keyboard area where the oilphilic coating is gone. Had this been my actual screen is be pretty bummed right now. So to treat myself for Christmas I figured I'd replace it with the OEM protectors I kept hearing about when everyone was going back and forth about Whitestone only now I can't find them. Or maybe I just don't know what I'm looking for. Which is how I ended up here.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I too have been considering screen protectors. Initially I considered going naked. I went back and forth with it saying several times that the condition of my protector was bad enough to just removed it. Obviously I haven't. What I've now noticed is that in addition to the damage the screen protector has taken/saved me from, whichever, there is clearly wear in my keyboard area where the oilphilic coating is gone. Had this been my actual screen is be pretty bummed right now. So to treat myself for Christmas I figured I'd replace it with the OEM protectors I kept hearing about when everyone was going back and forth about Whitestone only now I can't find them. Or maybe I just don't know what I'm looking for. Which is how I ended up here.
I hope you'll be able to find the ones you're looking for.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Update...

I went directly to Samsung, because where else would you find something that they were selling... Yeah exactly. Anyway I found what I presume to be them, a two pack for $19.99, thought it was a 3 pack but whatever, and they had 16 reviews averaging 2.5 stars. 2.5 stars, what? I looked at the reviews and whatever they are, they are not the OEM protectors. They are thinner, don't stick along the edges and bubble up for no reason, so says 11 out of 16 reviews, all 1 star. Didn't even look at the two 2 star reviews or the one 3 star or one 4 star reviews. For those not keeping count that's 16, meaning there were zero 5 star reviews. Zero.

Enough said.

Looks like I will be taking my chances with something else.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Update...

I went directly to Samsung, because where else would you find something that they were selling... Yeah exactly. Anyway I found what I presume to be them, a two pack for $19.99, thought it was a 3 pack but whatever, and they had 16 reviews averaging 2.5 stars. 2.5 stars, what? I looked at the reviews and whatever they are, they are not the OEM protectors. They are thinner, don't stick along the edges and bubble up for no reason, so says 11 out of 16 reviews, all 1 star. Didn't even look at the two 2 star reviews or the one 3 star or one 4 star reviews. For those not keeping count that's 16, meaning there were zero 5 star reviews. Zero.

Enough said.

Looks like I will be taking my chances with something else.
Thanks for the update. I'm not going to bother with those screen protectors.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I was using the screen protector from gadgetshieldz. It's really worth the money and it's fingerprint user-friendly, you don't have to register your fingerprint again after application. The application is quite simple once you watched their application video on their YouTube channel. I'll drop the link from where I got just in case you're interested.
https://www.gadgetshieldz.com/galaxy-s10-plus-screen-protectors-scratch-guards.html

Looks like I'll try this one. Mine is just so scratched up and a mess. I just wish I had someone to professionally put it on. I kind of want an extra one in case my hubby messes it up. LOL!

4rings

Apr 9, 2019
Visit site
OK, so gadgetshieldz might work well with the finger print sensor, but is it any more scratch resistant than what came on the phone from Samsung?.....which is essentially nil. It appears to be a similar 'film,' vs. a tempered glass screen protector like Whitestone Dome or Clearview, which should be less susceptible to the types of scratches we're all trying to avoid on our screen protector and screen.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,
I was browsing YouTube and found a Whitestone "competitor" in a more recent video. I watched the whole video and kind of started to get excited because the price, the material and installation was very similar to Whitestone. Then she spoiled it by saying that it smudged and fingerprinted pretty easily. If you don't care about having to wipe down your screen, most likely constantly, but want the tempered glass protection at half the cost this might be the protector for you... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHavrePSl2I