Battery life

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
How does anyone get good battery life out of the S10? I just got the S10 from T-Mobile and have been using it the past week. I am coming from an LG V30 and while it does feel like a great upgrade in terms of storage, screen, speakers, camera, etc, the battery is definitely leaves much to be desired. The battery life in my V30 lasts all day and only takes a short time to recharge whereas it seems my S10 takes quite awhile. That's definitely a bummer considering I am paying 960 dollars in the long run for this device...

My screen is cracked on my V30 so that's why I was looking to purchase a new device. And I could buy another brand new V30 for 250 on amazon.

Any suggestions of what I should do? I have tried lowering my brightness in the 60-80% range and that seems to help and playing with the resolution settings. I am sad to do that with a device that I've spent nearly 1000 dollars on though. I have been looking into a battery charge case. Zero lemon makes several of them but evidently they don't protect the phone very well. I'm not sure why companies make a case with no protection. It would be nice to have a high end battery charge case with rugged protection as well.

Makes me paranoid as well since you can't remove the battery status icon from the AOD. I hate that. It doesn't show on my V30.

mrm5

Mar 14, 2019
Visit site
How does anyone get good battery life out of the S10? I just got the S10 from T-Mobile and have been using it the past week. I am coming from an LG V30 and while it does feel like a great upgrade in terms of storage, screen, speakers, camera, etc, the battery is definitely leaves much to be desired. The battery life in my V30 lasts all day and only takes a short time to recharge whereas it seems my S10 takes quite awhile. That's definitely a bummer considering I am paying 960 dollars in the long run for this device...

My screen is cracked on my V30 so that's why I was looking to purchase a new device. And I could buy another brand new V30 for 250 on amazon.

Any suggestions of what I should do? I have tried lowering my brightness in the 60-80% range and that seems to help and playing with the resolution settings. I am sad to do that with a device that I've spent nearly 1000 dollars on though. I have been looking into a battery charge case. Zero lemon makes several of them but evidently they don't protect the phone very well. I'm not sure why companies make a case with no protection. It would be nice to have a high end battery charge case with rugged protection as well.

Makes me paranoid as well since you can't remove the battery status icon from the AOD. I hate that. It doesn't show on my V30.
That's surprising mine lasts 2 days with auto brightness and Max power around 7 hrs of sot.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I see what you are saying. I don't really like seeing my battery percentage indicator on my S10's lockscreen. My battery life is pretty good - I'm a moderate/light user though. I listen to about an hour of music a day; have data on all day; make a few phone calls; use it for an hour on my lunch break at work; and I can usually come home with about 60-65% left.

Standby time leaves a bit to be desired, to be honest; but I'd rather the battery last the way it is based on my usage patterns.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I would say I'm a heavy all day user and need to keep it on a wireless charger when not using plus plug in cable. But I do use a large watt USBC to USBC charger and that does a better job.

I definitely get better - less drain - using iPhone 11 doing same: web and Twitter mostly for hours, plus moving photos around.

Poor cell signal can impact battery.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I would say I'm a heavy all day user and need to keep it on a wireless charger when not using plus plug in cable. But I do use a large watt USBC to USBC charger and that does a better job.

I definitely get better - less drain - using iPhone 11 doing same: web and Twitter mostly for hours, plus moving photos around.

Poor cell signal can impact battery.

That's very true about poor cell signal. That will affect my battery as well, especially since there is lower signal in some areas of my workplace. Good point!

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm typically around 50% brightness, at the most. At home I'm closer to 40%. I easily get through a day. 80% screen brightness seems like a lot, but to each their own I suppose.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
You know, after thinking about it, if you're outside in broad daylight a lot I totally get 80%. I'm indoors most of the time.

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Has it been a week? That's how long it takes for the phone to adjust to your usage habits. I had poor battery usage the first 2-3 days, after it learned my usage pattern it got better (about 16-18 hours) with medium usage, more on the weekends, less during the weekday (I get poor cell reception at work).

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
80% brightness a lot? I've never understood people who have high end phones and go around with it on 40-50% brightness. Why? And how do you even see the screen? Back when I had the S5, when you could actually swap the batteries out, I used to keep it on full brightness.

It'll be a week tomorrow. This thing is still trash when it comes to battery IMO. I don't know about the usage patterns, but why did my V30 have great battery out of the box?

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
80% brightness a lot? I've never understood people who have high end phones and go around with it on 40-50% brightness. Why? And how do you even see the screen? Back when I had the S5, when you could actually swap the batteries out, I used to keep it on full brightness.

It'll be a week tomorrow. This thing is still trash when it comes to battery IMO. I don't know about the usage patterns, but why did my V30 have great battery out of the box?
Oh, my screen looks fantastic. But thanks.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
I don't get it. I've also tried lowering the screen resolution to 1080, changing the brightness, using adaptive brightness, power saving mode, changing settings on AOD to tap to display and it hasn't improved hardly at all. Since I woke up this morning, barely using my phone, it was already at 90%. That's terrible IMO. I know I am comparing this to my V30 too much, but still, when using that device, it would be at like 95% if even that. And that's with full power mode, full 2880x1440 resolution, having AOD on non-stop and 80% brightness.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
When starting with a full charge, screenshot your usage battery stats at the end of the day. You never mentioned your sot, can you state the LG and the new times? How many bars do you get? What power mgt setting are you on? Are you leaving GPS, bt, wifi scanning on 24/7? Have you cleared the cache partition and rebooted since setting up the phone?
You may have a bad battery, but more info is needed.

Norg

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Hey Gray2018, I agree out the box experience should perform like a champ.

Not sure how you migrated your Apps and data over to your new S10, having lived through a few phone upgrades myself over the years, it sounds like 1 or more of your Apps may be chewing up some juice. No doubt Cellular signal as well as your email volume and refresh rates have an impact on overall battery performance too. I went from an S8 to a S10 and had a very similar initial experience. The "Device Care" App and its Sub-Menus has typically helped me optimize performance, everything from Battery, Storage and Memory can be individually customized. Unfortunately it takes some time and practice to master this stuff.

I've now been using the S10 for at least 6 months, and overall performance is pretty comparable to my previous devices. Hope this helps you out!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Are you referring to standby time as well as SOT? LG G- and V-series phones seem to have good standby time, from what I've seen IRL and heard from around the forums.

But not all phone batteries are created equal-especially since the processors have a lot to do with how the battery performs. The size of the phone, its software/bloat, etc, all have an effect on battery. AOD is also a big culprit.

Bottom line: if you are unhappy with your S10, you can always bring it back if it's within your return window. It's been a few days, right? I had a week to return mine if I wanted to. The S10 Plus has a bigger battery if you still want to stay within the 10 line.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Can we see your battery stat?

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Can we see your battery stat?

Yes I am refering to SOT. As you can see, even though I have had the device on since 5am this morning, I have had a SOT of under two hours. Its about to dip under 50%. Am I crazy or is that terrible? And thats not to account for how heavily I use it when I get home from work usually until about 930-10PM at night.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191216-150134_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20191216-150134_Settings.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20191216-150129_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20191216-150129_Device care.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 13

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes I am refering to SOT. As you can see, even though I have had the device on since 5am this morning, I have had a SOT of under two hours. Its about to dip under 50%. Am I crazy or is that terrible? And thats not to account for how heavily I use it when I get home from work usually until about 930-10PM at night.
No doesn't look bad you probably end up by 20 percent 4SOT and 21 hrs, you can go into medium mode to save further battery , what's the battery usage for 1 day you have under 7 days for apps ?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Do you keep your apps running in the background? That will also eat your battery. I'd say that looks fairly normal, especially based on how often you have YouTube active. Video play/media consumption of any kind will affect your battery. I know that when I have Google Play Music playing for almost an hour, I'll lose some battery life.

Also, using Facebook browser apps will assist in keeping your Facebook percentage down. The app is known to drain batteries.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary