I've been meaning to post this here for a while so here goes. Back at the beginning of this month, my dad got a brand new S10e from a Samsung store. After going through the initial setup minus the account setup (no good internet was available in the shopping mall) and checking out a few features, we noticed the battery was at a measly 8%. Of course it works fine, charges fast, etc... But I'm just curious, does this mean the phone was sitting for a long time or what? I might have my dad install the Samsung-specific phone info app at some point in the future to check the manufacture date. Every device he and I have had in the past came with 50-ish percent charge out of the box.
    01-19-2020 12:09 PM
    Did you have Mobile Data turned on? If your father's S10e had been looking for a signal, that could have affected the battery drain. Also, initial setup and all the new things that come with getting a new phone would have put a strain on the battery.

It is strange that the phone came with that kind of a battery charge, but I wouldn't be too concerned about it. My S10 came with maybe 50 or more percent charge I think, I can't really remember.

Keep us posted on how your father's phone is working!
    milleniumdroid likes this.
    01-19-2020 12:43 PM
    Did you have Mobile Data turned on? If your father's S10e had been looking for a signal, that could have affected the battery drain. Also, initial setup and all the new things that come with getting a new phone would have put a strain on the battery.

It is strange that the phone came with that kind of a battery charge, but I wouldn't be too concerned about it. My S10 came with maybe 50 or more percent charge I think, I can't really remember.

Keep us posted on how your father's phone is working!
    He claims it works great so far. Maybe it was just sitting for a long time as back in Serbia, high end phones aren't exactly in big demand.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-19-2020 01:41 PM
    He claims it works great so far. Maybe it was just sitting for a long time as back in Serbia, high end phones aren't exactly in big demand.
    I imaging between sitting for a while and setup, it drained the battery. Hope he enjoys it!
    milleniumdroid and Morty2264 like this.
    01-19-2020 01:44 PM
    See also this thread: https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=990477
    01-19-2020 02:07 PM
    I imaging between sitting for a while and setup, it drained the battery. Hope he enjoys it!
    Oh he absolutely LOVES it. The whole second day of using it he was repeatedly telling me "This is a SMOOTH phone". Well, of course since he was upgrading from a Snapdragon 617 phone the S10e is frickin smooth in comparison. He previously didn't think he needed/wanted a high end phone but I managed to change his mind (he already thought my S8 was nice, and I told him that the S10e has a better camera setup, much fast processor and storage and was generally gonna be super amazing).
    TgeekB and ABOSWORTH007 like this.
    01-19-2020 08:03 PM
    I'm not saying this is the case for you but...it would be cause for me to ensure there isn't a short causing the battery to slightly drain while the phone is turned off. Again, not to be an alarmist but better to check it out while it's under warranty.
    01-20-2020 12:51 PM
    I'm not saying this is the case for you but...it would be cause for me to ensure there isn't a short causing the battery to slightly drain while the phone is turned off. Again, not to be an alarmist but better to check it out while it's under warranty.
    If it had a short I think there would be evident battery issues during use. But of course, if it does start to have issues, the warranty is there.
    01-20-2020 06:31 PM
    I'd wonder if it was a unit that someone might have returned immediately, and they didn't bother tanking it back up to 50%. Or maybe one of the techs had to do work on it for some reason and forgot to tank it back up. My understanding is that carrier stores may have to open the boxes to do some kind of preliminary setup -- or at least they used to. Anyone with direct work experience at a carrier store here?
    01-21-2020 02:20 PM
    I'd wonder if it was a unit that someone might have returned immediately, and they didn't bother tanking it back up to 50%. Or maybe one of the techs had to do work on it for some reason and forgot to tank it back up. My understanding is that carrier stores may have to open the boxes to do some kind of preliminary setup -- or at least they used to. Anyone with direct work experience at a carrier store here?
    Doubt it. EVERYTHING looked brand new in the packaging. Heck, the protective film on the edges of the phone was so well stuck on (like on a totally new phone) that it took an experienced precision-peeling expert like me to take it off (it was also borderline impossible to see the film even with my glasses on). Everything indicative of a brand new phone. Also, as I mentioned it was an OFFICIAL Samsung store. I think my theory about it sitting is most likely the situation, as Serbia doesn't really have too big of a market for high end phones purchased outright from brand stores like this.
    01-22-2020 01:03 AM
    Ah, that would make sense.
    01-22-2020 01:58 AM
    I've taken a few hundred phones out of the box and set them up. Most are near 50% charge, occasionally one came by with significantly more or even dead. This includes numerous brands and with and without removable batteries.
    01-22-2020 03:22 AM
    I wouldn't be too concerned unless you notice excessive battery drain or other strange behaviors.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-22-2020 06:28 AM
    I wouldn't be too concerned unless you notice excessive battery drain or other strange behaviors.
    I second this notion. Best not to worry unless you notice any oddities.
    kct1975 likes this.
    01-22-2020 08:42 AM