Recent app lag with third party launchers ever since 10 update

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else experiencing occasional lag with the recent apps view? Sometimes if I have a few apps open and I hit the open apps gesture or button (I tried both) and go to select a different app, I will get severe lag and the app will take forever to open. I have not been able to recreate the issue with the stock launcher.

I use Nova but tried out Action launcher and was presented with the same issue. I'm seriously considering a factory reset. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Nova, starting fresh with Nova (not using backup) and the problem persists. It blows my mind that nobody else seems to be having the issue.

I've tried tweaking several settings but nothing helps. I am working up to a factory reset but I honestly don't think that will help and I'll be super annoyed if it doesn't. I have better things to do than to spend time messing with a factory reset but I would do it in a second if I knew it would help. It seems like a bug with 10 and how it treats third party launchers. Man, I really wish I had never done the 10 update. It's just complete garbage. My phone ran flawlessly before.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
It's a pretty bad single thing but no, there are other things I don't like as well. Admittedly, I'm extremely frustrated so I'm being a bit dramatic. I just did a factory reset so we'll see if it helps.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I can't imagine what you don't like compared to Android 9. The tweaks are all positive ones.

I fired up the Microsoft Launcher, and didn't get any of the behavior you described.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Factory data reset did nothing but waste my time and somehow nuke all of my Samsung Health data. What a complete waste of time. Not sure what is going on but the horrible lag is still happening. I'm so frustrated.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Factory data reset did nothing but waste my time and somehow nuke all of my Samsung Health data. What a complete waste of time. Not sure what is going on but the horrible lag is still happening. I'm so frustrated.
Is it there on the stock launcher?

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
No I have not been able to encounter the issue with the stock launcher. I hate the stock launcher though. It's way too limited. I also spoke to the Nova developer and he assures me that it's not his app as nobody else has reported the issue and third party launchers can't even modify anything regarding the recent app function. I'm just at a loss as to what it could be.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No I have not been able to encounter the issue with the stock launcher. I hate the stock launcher though. It's way too limited. I also spoke to the Nova developer and he assures me that it's not his app as nobody else has reported the issue and third party launchers can't even modify anything regarding the recent app function. I'm just at a loss as to what it could be.
Do you have animations on in developer settings or in settings advance feature?

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Try turning developer settings off and restart the phone see if its still there
You know, oddly enough, I think this might have solved the problem. I disabled developer options, shut the phone down, cleared the cache and when I restarted, I was prompted with a Knox terms of service pop-up. I have not had the recent app lagging since. I guess something got hung up somehow. It's strange though, I always have developer options enabled and have for years through many different software upgrades. Fingers crossed. I'll report back tomorrow. Really hoping this issue has gone away for good.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You know, oddly enough, I think this might have solved the problem. I disabled developer options, shut the phone down, cleared the cache and when I restarted, I was prompted with a Knox terms of service pop-up. I have not had the recent app lagging since. I guess something got hung up somehow. It's strange though, I always have developer options enabled and have for years through many different software upgrades. Fingers crossed. I'll report back tomorrow. Really hoping this issue has gone away for good.
Keep me posted , that settings I use to use back in the day with older Samsung devices not anymore I think weird behavior happens with it on over time

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Keep me posted , that settings I use to use back in the day with older Samsung devices not anymore I think weird behavior happens with it on over time
Very strange. I've never had an issue with developer options being enabled. It was so puzzling because the stock launcher was fine but any other third party launcher I tried, I'd get the issue. I consider myself very good at trouble shooting issues but this one was blowing my mind. I've figured out complex issues before and helped others out on XDA.

Anyway, thanks for the tip man. Still no issues and I've been I putting it through the ringer opening multiple apps and switching obnoxiously just to try to recreate it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Very strange. I've never had an issue with developer options being enabled. It was so puzzling because the stock launcher was fine but any other third party launcher I tried, I'd get the issue. I consider myself very good at trouble shooting issues but this one was blowing my mind. I've figured out complex issues before and helped others out on XDA.

Anyway, thanks for the tip man. Still no issues and I've been I putting it through the ringer opening multiple apps and switching obnoxiously just to try to recreate it.
I've run into on with my pixel 3xl breaking Now playing , and after time on my older Samsung phones it felt slower very fast first couple days then slower so just kept it off .

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I've run into on with my pixel 3xl breaking Now playing , and after time on my older Samsung phones it felt slower very fast first couple days then slower so just kept it off .
I used to turn off the animations but now I like seeing them. I feel like it looks more smooth. Turning them off just looks so choppy. I just have always enabled developer options just because I guess but now that I don't change the animations, I really don't have any need for it. I'll just make sure I definitely have them off before any updates going forward.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
There was a apk file mod you could download back then to fine tune the animations .1.2.3.4.5.6.7 ect which was pretty cool .
But then I start using Nova launcher to tweak animations was good with that

cknobman

May 15, 2018
Visit site
My phone was lagging and really annoying me and I think I found the problem (for me at least).

Yesterday I went into the "Device Care" section and clicked on "Battery".
I noticed my Power Mode as set to "Medium Power Saving".

This mode limits your CPU to 70% along with some other stupid things.

I set it back to "Optimized" but left the "Adaptive Power Saving" checked.

This morning my phone was lagging again and I went back in only to see it set to "Medium Power Saving" again.
This time I set it back to "Optimized" and then unchecked "Adaptive Power Saving".

Once I put it back in "Optimized" my phone performs as it always had before Android 10.
Not sure if this is a beta bug or what.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My phone was lagging and really annoying me and I think I found the problem (for me at least).

Yesterday I went into the "Device Care" section and clicked on "Battery".
I noticed my Power Mode as set to "Medium Power Saving".

This mode limits your CPU to 70% along with some other stupid things.

I set it back to "Optimized" but left the "Adaptive Power Saving" checked.

This morning my phone was lagging again and I went back in only to see it set to "Medium Power Saving" again.
This time I set it back to "Optimized" and then unchecked "Adaptive Power Saving".

Once I put it back in "Optimized" my phone performs as it always had before Android 10.
Not sure if this is a beta bug or what.
That would do it also in medium power saving mode

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me with December's update, I had to factory reset before it got rid of the lag. It's now back to normal. It was so bad I went out last month and picked up a OnePlus 7t till I was able to resolve it. Now I am having trouble not using my OP7t lol..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly Ryan