How do I stop my S10 from trying to navigate to my contacts?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

This is infuriating. I cannot use my voice commands for navigation anymore. To give an example other day I said "Navigate to Nick's in San Clemente." My phone replied "Actually, there is no address for Tiphanie San Francisco." Literally just because it recognized the word "San!" Contacts like "Alex Best Buy" and "Austin Warehouse" prevent me from being able to ever navigate to Best Buy or Austin. Many of these contacts I have already deleted from my phone's contact list in an attempt to fix this, but yet they still pop up on navigation attemps. Help!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Most of the data for voice commands )Google Assistant, Alexa, anything) are stored in the cloud, so you have to tell Google to delete directions to Austin Warehouse, or whatever you want deleted.

datroyenschwartz

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Most of the data for voice commands )Google Assistant, Alexa, anything) are stored in the cloud, so you have to tell Google to delete directions to Austin Warehouse, or whatever you want deleted.

To clarify,

None of my contacts have addresses programmed in - in fact the issue is that my phone will always respond to my navigation requests by trying to navigate me to a contact for which there is no address. Me - "Navigate to Best Buy in Chicago." Phone response - "Actually, there is no address for Alex Best Buy." In this case, there used to be a contact in my phone called "Alex Best Buy" and now my phone is trying to navigate me to Alex even though he has been deleted and never had an address programmed in my phone in the first place - GAH!!!

Also this problem literally followed me from my S9 to my S10, so a cache clear or factory data reset most definitely doesn't fix this either.

datroyenschwartz

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
there still may be history on the phone. try deleting the app cache. if that does not work, try wiping the cache partition.

I would love if it were this simple. But no joke, this issue followed me from my S9 to my S10 when I upgraded. App cache and cache partition wouldn't be able to transfer to a new phone regardless of transfer method, right?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I know there was an option in Google Assistant to modify exactly what it will search. I had the opposite problem, where I would say "Call Business X" that has a specific number I use for work in my contacts, but it would do an online search and give me the general access number that may or may not even go to the correct location. I was able to change the settings so the Assistant ONLY searched and gave results from my contacts, since I only use it for voice dialing.

The problem is, that was long ago and once I set that, I never touched the Assistant stuff. I just tried to poke around the settings and can't find those options again to tell you how to find them. All I can say is it is possible to modify it so you could omit contact searching in your case to solve your problem. Hopefully you can find it or someone else knows how. If I get more time later, I'll try to look for it again and reply if I do figure it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12