fingerprint scanner

Karen Hildebrand

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I got an s10+ a week or so ago and love it except I'm having a terrible time with the fingerprint scanner. It won't register my print. Tells me to press harder or make sure I'm covering the whole sensor. I am. But it won't take. I have the factory screen protector still on it. Shouldn8 take that off maybe

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Does the situation persist in Safe Mode? Sometimes the fingerprint sensor can be a little finicky. It could be that the film protector is interfering with your fingerprint at times. Does it work some of the time?

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I found that the sensor worked better after I removed the original plastic screen protector.

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
You can also add multiples, and I recommend registering while holding the phone as you would normally. I register both left and right prints, and in different common hand held situations.

It's still not 100% but works most of the time.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You can also add multiples, and I recommend registering while holding the phone as you would normally. I register both left and right prints, and in different common hand held situations.

It's still not 100% but works most of the time.
Yeah I agree , even registering same print twice increase the odds being more accurate and having more data of that same print .

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
the fps, I've finally accepted, is garbage.

While I won't go that far, I can assure the world--especially the fanbois for whom anything "new" is by definition "better"--that the FPS on the rear of my S9+ was phenomenal. Instant. Just graze it with a finger and bam! there you are in a few milliseconds. This thing inside the screen, it's laggy and more often than not makes you try it several times before it's happy.

There. I've said it. The emperor has no clothes.

In other words, it works, it's not complete garbage, but--for the purposes for which it was built, and compared to the other options to do the same thing--it IS a complete failure.

Sometimes you just have to tell the market, we won't chase after your approval just because you THINK it should be done in a way we've discovered is far inferior. The blogging public is, by and large, not qualified to direct such decisions.

mundo472

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Okay, Adam. For a "first iteration" I agree with you and was not totally trashing it at the time. Now, however, we are looking to the '20 series for Sam to fix it.
And they failed. They moved the crappy sensor system up the screen a bit. Now it's easier to hit the sweet spot but it's still garbage slow and misses the read 3/4 times on a good day.
You are being kind. If the second iteration was fixed, I wouldn't be here complaining, but using my new s20.
My S8 and BlackBerry key2le readers are instantaneous, as they should be.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
My BB keyONE was instant as well. The only reason I got the S9+ was I was heading out for a couple of weeks vacation when the BB screen came off--like they all did. Costco was having a blowout sale on the S9 family (this was June, after a March launch--that's how Samsung rolls, look for incredible deals on the S20 family soon now) so I grabbed it--and loved it. Grabbed the 10+ at launch, and frankly, have wished I'd have kept my S9+.

I still have my BB. TCL fixed the screen, no problem.

So yeah, I'm being kind. Sammy knows how to do a good FPS. TCL made a superb system with the keyONE's spacebar. But Sammy released this thing that really isn't great for the purpose for which it was intended, a problem magnified by the fact that Sammy's face recognition isn't secure enough for Google/Samsung Pay and 1Password and the like.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Okay, Adam. For a "first iteration" I agree with you and was not totally trashing it at the time. Now, however, we are looking to the '20 series for Sam to fix it.
And they failed. They moved the crappy sensor system up the screen a bit. Now it's easier to hit the sweet spot but it's still garbage slow and misses the read 3/4 times on a good day.
You are being kind. If the second iteration was fixed, I wouldn't be here complaining, but using my new s20.
My S8 and BlackBerry key2le readers are instantaneous, as they should be.
Not everyone has the same experience as you. I had the S10+, Note 10+ and S20 Ultra in my possession at the same time. The Ultra is more precise and responsive. Keep in mind that I never had a total bad experience with any of them. Is it finicky for some compared to others?....without a doubt!

mundo472

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Not everyone has the same experience as you. I had the S10+, Note 10+ and S20 Ultra in my possession at the same time. The Ultra is more precise and responsive. Keep in mind that I never had a total bad experience with any of them. Is it finicky for some compared to others?....without a doubt!

Fair enough, Mike, and shame on me for not being clear that this is all "in my experience" and "your mileage may vary."
So, ime it is garbage and ymmv. However, this was not my first-hand experience on the s20 but derived from reviews and comments.
I don't claim to have read every comment and review though so I am glad to hear you have seen significant improvement. Do you feel it is worthy of a second iteration after a year? If it is a slightly better version
of wack-a-mole to unlock my phone (as it appeared from all the reviews I've seen) then shame on Sam for their failure to deliver.
Imo.
Cheers, bro

omelet1978

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I'd say the fingerprint scanner on my Galaxy S10 is good enough...lots of room for improvement but it is not something that should be a deciding factor on whether you purchase a Galaxy phone or not.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey