Initial setup of S10+ - any importance on order of steps taken?

siglerm

Mar 14, 2020
Visit site
I just bought an S10+ yesterday and I am ready to start setting it up. I am coming from a Blackberry KeyOne with it's own Blackberry suite of apps (Calendar, Contacts, Hub, etc.) that I would like to use on my S10+. I want to do this new setup with the least problems. Do I download the Blackberry apps I want on this phone FIRST before I do the transfer of all the phone data from the KeyOne over to the new phone, or does it really matter? Also, the guy at the store cautioned me that I should install the SIM card before even turning on the phone. Does that even matter?

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
None of that matters. It will all sort out as you go.

Apple phones, for some reason, require the SIM card be installed at setup. Android phones don't. They set up fine on wifi. When you install your SIM card, you may get some additional software from your carrier, that's all.

How are you transferring things from the old phone? Are you backed up to your Google account? That's the best way to do things right now, frankly. But be sure to set yourself up a Samsung account, and set that to back up your data as well. One nice thing about the Samsung account: if you wipe clean and restore, you get a cleaner restore. I use the Samsung launcher, and it puts everything right back where it came from. No need to set up the home screen all over again.

siglerm

Mar 14, 2020
Visit site
Hi Adam, Thanks. I never heard of a Samsung account. I guess I need to figure that one out. I was going to use the wire to wire transfer. Initially, I backed up everything to Google and figured there would be some kind of wizard to walk me through it (like when I have had to factory reset my KeyOne). Then I saw this Switch Transfer using wire to wire and it looks easy. So I thought I would try that. But I like your Samsung account for future stuff.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi Adam, Thanks. I never heard of a Samsung account. I guess I need to figure that one out. I was going to use the wire to wire transfer. Initially, I backed up everything to Google and figured there would be some kind of wizard to walk me through it (like when I have had to factory reset my KeyOne). Then I saw this Switch Transfer using wire to wire and it looks easy. So I thought I would try that. But I like your Samsung account for future stuff.
Wire to wire would be good start, definitely sign into your Samsung account or make one , can use a tool called smart switch on the computer to make back ups , also use Google photos to do photo back ups .

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central and to the world of Android and Samsung! How exciting! I too came to Android from BlackBerry - you'll find a lot of us here! Let us know if you need anything else!

One suggestion I have while setting up your new phone is to check out the Samsung Theme Store is a great place to download wallpapers, themes, icon packs, and fonts! Be careful - it's addictive! There's a lot of free stuff, too.

Also, I highly recommend Zedge - it's an app like the Samsung Theme Store. It's a great feature that has hundreds of wallpapers, ringtones, notifications, and icon packs for you to choose from! It's free to download and it's super fun to use!

Enjoy your new phone!

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
speaking of wallpapers:

1102892635960762370-2-png__700.jpg

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Mostly answered, but your phone will basically guide you. Signing into your Google account will download a lot of your data and apps on it's own, and the S10 will prompt you to connect to the other phone to pull stuff from your old phone.

The most important piece of advice I can give is don't listen to the guys in the stores. They usually don't know what they're talking about.

dpomerance

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Unless you are particularly technically challenged I would skip the wire to wire and do a clean load of all your apps. Then transfer your photos and music through a computer using plain old file explorer and let your apps build their databases from scratch clean. I just set up a new 10+ yesterday and tried the wire method to start and it got so messed up half the apps couldn't find their data so I did a reset and built it up manually. Good luck.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I used the same email address for both my Google and Samsung accounts.

siglerm

Mar 14, 2020
Visit site
Hi Morty. So far so good. I am pleased with the speed of things, the huge beautiful screen, and some of the new features. I am still having trouble getting used to a vkb though. But in time....

dpomerance

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I think it is terrific. My wife had gotten tired of hearing me ***** about my old phone, an S6, so she made me do it but I was darned if I was going to shell out $11 to $1300 for a new S20 with 5G that doesn't exist for a while. So I got the S10+ and the speed, screen, and battery life has just amazed me. I was having to charge my old phone a couple of times a day or keep it plugged in to keep it topped off. Yesterday I went almost the entire day without hooking up and when I got home last night I was still at 87%.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi Morty. So far so good. I am pleased with the speed of things, the huge beautiful screen, and some of the new features. I am still having trouble getting used to a vkb though. But in time....

I'm so glad you are enjoying it thus far! Yes, do not worry - you will get used to it! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781