Screen not registering touch input near bottom edge

CharlesCC2

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Edit: Issue completely resolved after downloading a phone software update released April 13 (downloaded April 15). See post 18.

I have a Galaxy S10+, and must note that this issue is only when using full screen gestures for the navigation bar (instead of buttons). The problem was initially only with my Google keyboard, and it began when my phone got Android 10 I believe. The issue was that tapping the lower end of the bottom row of keyboard buttons did not work at all. I had to tap the upper half of the space bar, number toggle, comma, etc, or the touch would not register.

Now this problem has become worse and touch input doesn't register near the bottom edge of the screen for any app, and its most noticeable when navigation buttons are at the bottom (Instagram, Twitch, etc). In Instagram I have to tap somewhere within the top quarter of a navigation icon for it to register (home, search, etc). Anywhere in the bottom three quarters of the icon will not register touch. In messaging apps where you have to touch the typing area to bring up the keyboard, touching the bottom half of this area does not work and the keyboard will only pop up when touching near the top of the typing area.

This is not a physical screen/hardware issue. When I change navigation bar back to buttons I can tap the absolute bottom edge of the screen/navigation buttons with no problem. If I leave gesture navigation on and enable "Show button to hide keyboard," it puts an arrow at the bottom edge of the screen, under the keyboard, to hide the keyboard. I can touch the absolute bottom edge of the screen where this arrow is to hide the keyboard, but then cannot touch that same spot where the "send" button relocates to. I instead have to tap slightly higher to register touch input.

I hope this made sense. This issue is very annoying and has led me to go back and forth with putting navigation buttons back on the screen just so I don't have any touchscreen dead zones at the bottom. I've played around with the overscan function via USB debugging on the computer to move the display around, but that didn't help. I use Nova launcher and switched to One UI to see if Nova was the issue, but that didn't change anything either.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

CharlesCC2

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
You using any type of glass screen protector?

As mentioned in my post, there are situations where touching those parts of the screen work perfectly fine, making it clear it's a software issue. It's not a screen protector issue (using PET though).

Thanks. At least I know I'm not the only person in the world with this issue.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
As mentioned in my post, there are situations where touching those parts of the screen work perfectly fine, making it clear it's a software issue. It's not a screen protector issue (using PET though).

Thanks. At least I know I'm not the only person in the world with this issue.
Not familiar with that screen protector

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
To be honest there are times when I have to tap slightly higher to register taps on my S10+. I am also using full screen gestures on OneUI 2.1

I have kinda got used to it. I found that sometimes this also happened on my Pixel 4XL. Perhaps it is an Android 10 with gestures thing.

Gmadhureddy

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S10+, and must note that this issue is only when using full screen gestures for the navigation bar (instead of buttons). The problem was initially only with my Google keyboard, and it began when my phone got Android 10 I believe. The issue was that tapping the lower end of the bottom row of keyboard buttons did not work at all. I had to tap the upper half of the space bar, number toggle, comma, etc, or the touch would not register.

Now this problem has become worse and touch input doesn't register near the bottom edge of the screen for any app, and its most noticeable when navigation buttons are at the bottom (Instagram, Twitch, etc). In Instagram I have to tap somewhere within the top quarter of a navigation icon for it to register (home, search, etc). Anywhere in the bottom three quarters of the icon will not register touch. In messaging apps where you have to touch the typing area to bring up the keyboard, touching the bottom half of this area does not work and the keyboard will only pop up when touching near the top of the typing area.

This is not a physical screen/hardware issue. When I change navigation bar back to buttons I can tap the absolute bottom edge of the screen/navigation buttons with no problem. If I leave gesture navigation on and enable "Show button to hide keyboard," it puts an arrow at the bottom edge of the screen, under the keyboard, to hide the keyboard. I can touch the absolute bottom edge of the screen where this arrow is to hide the keyboard, but then cannot touch that same spot where the "send" button relocates to. I instead have to tap slightly higher to register touch input.

I hope this made sense. This issue is very annoying and has led me to go back and forth with putting navigation buttons back on the screen just so I don't have any touchscreen dead zones at the bottom. I've played around with the overscan function via USB debugging on the computer to move the display around, but that didn't help. I use Nova launcher and switched to One UI to see if Nova was the issue, but that didn't change anything either.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Hi Charles,

Even I am facing the same issue with my s10+. Noticed this issue from today itself and it is really annoying. First I thought its screen guard problem. I removed it and still the problem persists. When I removed the navigation gesture from invisible to gesture hints everything is normal. It looks like someossue with software itself. Samsung needs to look into this issue asap and release a fix for this. This is really annoying and I am not the last one to get this issue. Peace out.

Last edited by a moderator:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi Charles,

Even I am facing the same issue with my s10+. Noticed this issue from today itself and it is really annoying. First I thought its screen guard problem. I removed it and still the problem persists. When I removed the navigation gesture from invisible to gesture hints everything is normal. It looks like someossue with software itself. Samsung needs to look into this issue asap and release a fix for this. This is really annoying and I am not the last one to get this issue. Peace out.
Is this happening with full gestures and swipe from sides? (googles gesture)

Gmadhureddy

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
Did anyone try one samsung UI 2.1 update and let us know if the issue is fixed. We are not able to get the updates from tmobile. Any pointers to this would be greatly appreciated.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Did anyone try one samsung UI 2.1 update and let us know if the issue is fixed. We are not able to get the updates from tmobile. Any pointers to this would be greatly appreciated.
My bad I was under the impression is was from 2.1 update , I'm on that with my Note note 10+

CharlesCC2

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Update One UI Home in the Galaxy store and see if that helps.

Yeah you hit the nail on the head with looking at One UI. Apparently it is obtaining the most recent update that is causing this for many people. Check out the top four reviews alone in the attached screenshot.

Not familiar with that screen protector

Sorry I said that like it is a common term when it's not. I meant I am using the old style plastic/film screen protector made of PET plastic (polyethylene terephthalate).

Anyway it looks like we have our culprit. It may not be causing an issue with all Samsung phones, as the all of the reviews stating this issue are Galaxy S10 variants. Guess all I can do for now is leave my own review as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200415-115514_Galaxy Store.jpg
    Screenshot_20200415-115514_Galaxy Store.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 7

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah you hit the nail on the head with looking at One UI. Apparently it is obtaining the most recent update that is causing this for many people. Check out the top four reviews alone in the attached screenshot.

Sorry I said that like it is a common term when it's not. I meant I am using the old style plastic/film screen protector made of PET plastic (polyethylene terephthalate).

Anyway it looks like we have our culprit. It may not be causing an issue with all Samsung phones, as the all of the reviews stating this issue are Galaxy S10 variants. Guess all I can do for now is leave my own review as well.
Lol..gotcha
You try clearing cache/data and force stop home UI? It will reset your home screen setup though

CharlesCC2

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Question for people: What is One UI 2.1? The version I'm seeing in the Galaxy Store, which I have, is 11.0.75.19.

Lol..gotcha
You try clearing cache/data and force stop home UI? It will reset your home screen setup though

Thanks for the suggestion, I've already cleared cache, and I just force stopped home UI but that didn't seem to have any effect at all (didn't affect my home screen either as I'm using Nova).

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My version is 11.0.75.19

You can also try uninstalling the update to see if it work with previous version just don't let it update in the Galaxy app store

CharlesCC2

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
So I just downloaded and installed a phone software update from April 13. My issue is now completely resolved, no dead zone whatsoever. Even the issue I had going back to downloading Android 10 where it was only noticeable with the keyboard has completely disappeared.

Hopefully anybody else having this issue will have it resolved in a soon to come software update.

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
Do it in Safe mode? If so still could a system setting but unlikely.
Probably a 3rd party app or hardware failure.
Clear system cache.

-Last- resort.
Hard reset, if that doesn't work, it's hardware.