Reasons to pick up a S10+ over a Note 9?

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
New devices are always on the horizon. As someone who would be upgrading from a Nexus 6P that is showing its age at an accelerated pace, I've been tempted by "Techtober"; especially with the fact that I've realized that stock Android is rather boring.

As soon as I heard that the Note 9 was coming with a 4000 mAh battery, I thought my decision was made. But now with big changes supposedly coming to the 10th anniversary phones, I'm wondering if I should wait even more. I've never owned a Note, so it would be convenient to use the S-Pen when I need to, but the rumors surrounding the S-line phones have me excited.

Sure, having a bezel-less phone would be cool in terms of content consumption, but what has me excited is the possibility of the display being shatterproof, much like Motorola phones of a few years ago. I'm also hearing that the S10+ will also have a 4000 mAh battery, and coupled with the 7nm SD 855, battery life and efficiency *should* be fantastic.

I don't have the funds to upgrade every year, so whatever I get, I'm sticking with for the next three years, at least. 5G won't be widespread for a while, and anyway, I'm hearing that the 5G variant of the S10+ will be a Verizon exclusive (of course 🙄). I want to be as future proof as possible. Which phone would be a better buy for me next year, once the prices drop?

Last edited:

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
The s10 is rumored to be a major upgrade to s series. So many of the features will be exported to the Note 10. It usually comes down to the s pen. If you don't really use it, then I'd wait to see what the s10 offers before considering the Note 9.

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
The s10 is rumored to be a major upgrade to s series. So many of the features will be exported to the Note 10. It usually comes down to the s pen. If you don't really use it, then I'd wait to see what the s10 offers before considering the Note 9.

Is scroll capture a Note exclusive feature? I've always thought that was useful.

Last edited:

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The only possible downside I could see on the next gen Samsungs is if they're using in-display fingerprint scanners, which means to use that, there should be no screen protectors. That tech using ultrasonic vibrations so the protectors will mess up the acoustics. There is the iris scanner though.

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
The only possible downside I could see on the next gen Samsungs is if they're using in-display fingerprint scanners, which means to use that, there should be no screen protectors. That tech using ultrasonic vibrations so the protectors will mess up the acoustics. There is the iris scanner though.

I think that might be why they're supposedly going with the shatterproof screens, assuming they're indeed shatterproof. But you're right, either way, I'd want an extra layer of protection, be it a film or TGSP. I'd love to be able to use RhinoShield's impact protection screen protector again, but they haven't been able to make one for the curved screens.

My question with the in display fingerprint scanner is how much of an affect it'll have on battery life and standby time. From what I've seen so far, the optical scanners definitely have an affect on battery, especially since you have to apply a bit of pressure for it to work. People open their phones a lot throughout the day, so it'll add up.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I think that might be why they're supposedly going with the shatterproof screens, assuming they're indeed shatterproof. But you're right, either way, I'd want an extra layer of protection, be it a film or TGSP. I'd love to be able to use RhinoShield's impact protection screen protector again, but they haven't been able to make one for the curved screens.

My question with the in display fingerprint scanner is how much of an affect it'll have on battery life and standby time. From what I've seen so far, the optical scanners definitely have an affect on battery, especially since you have to apply a bit of pressure for it to work. People open their phones a lot throughout the day, so it'll add up.

The new shatterproof screen is fortified plastic. You know who else is using a plastic shatterproof screen? Motorola. They call it Shattershield. Is it really shatterproof? Yes. Is it also a scratch magnet? Yes, because it's plastic. Basically, to make something shatterproof, you need it to be softer so it can sort of squeeze on impact and distribute the force better. Then to make something scratchproof, it has to be so hard that nothing can make impressions on it. So yeah. Pick your poison.

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
The new shatterproof screen is fortified plastic. You know who else is using a plastic shatterproof screen? Motorola. They call it Shattershield. Is it really shatterproof? Yes. Is it also a scratch magnet? Yes, because it's plastic. Basically, to make something shatterproof, you need it to be softer so it can sort of squeeze on impact and distribute the force better. Then to make something scratchproof, it has to be so hard that nothing can make impressions on it. So yeah. Pick your poison.

True. At least it seems that Samsung is listening to the complaints about screen protectors not fitting correctly.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
There is always something new rumored to come out next. I know someone that had a Galaxy Note 4 until two weeks ago and he upgraded to a Note 9. He is happy. Me, I did get a new device every year, until last year and I said no. I'm sitting on a S8+ and I'm going to wait and see what actually come out from Samsung in the Spring. Rumors don't always happen.

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Screen protectors suck IMO anyway after using note 8 since new without one - just another ploy from manufacturers to get ya $$$. I do use the Samsung folder case tho.

Velenoso

Nov 11, 2018
Visit site
Last edited:

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
They are, in recent articles which I can't find but did read, bixby beat down siri google assist and alexa in a show down. Also in that article they stated that samsung will be spending 22 billion on bixby over the next 2 years.

Found it.

https://www.afr.com/technology/did-samsungs-bixby-just-beat-out-siri-alexa-and-google-20181107-h17n1y

Literally nothing in that article suggests that Bixby 'beat down Siri, Google Assistant and Alexa in a showdown'. Infact, the developers know that Bixby is behind the competition by saying:

"Adam Cheyer, Viv's co-founder and chief technology officer, who developed Siri before selling it to Apple in 2010, admitted that Samsung had fallen behind in the AI market, despite its huge presence in electronics.

"We're realistic. Google Assistant has been in the market for a number of years, Alexa has 20,000 skills, so we're really starting behind."

Bixby is years behind Google Assistant - anyone who's used the two could tell you that. The article states that maybe in the future Bixby could catch up or surpass Alexa/Assistant. Sure that could happen, if Google and Amazon literally stop improving Alexa/Assistant and just let Samsung pass them...

Velenoso

Nov 11, 2018
Visit site
Literally nothing in that article suggests that Bixby 'beat down Siri, Google Assistant and Alexa in a showdown'. Infact, the developers know that Bixby is behind the competition by saying:

"Adam Cheyer, Viv's co-founder and chief technology officer, who developed Siri before selling it to Apple in 2010, admitted that Samsung had fallen behind in the AI market, despite its huge presence in electronics.

"We're realistic. Google Assistant has been in the market for a number of years, Alexa has 20,000 skills, so we're really starting behind."

Bixby is years behind Google Assistant - anyone who's used the two could tell you that. The article states that maybe in the future Bixby could catch up or surpass Alexa/Assistant. Sure that could happen, if Google and Amazon literally stop improving Alexa/Assistant and just let Samsung pass them...

When you have the guy who created siri saying "Viv Labs has been working to radically overhaul Bixby with an AI system which the company says is far more sophisticated than anything Google, Amazon, Apple or Microsoft have been able to achieve"

I believe them not you dude.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
When you have the guy who created siri saying "Viv Labs has been working to radically overhaul Bixby with an AI system which the company says is far more sophisticated than anything Google, Amazon, Apple or Microsoft have been able to achieve"

I believe them not you dude.
I'll believe it when I see it. Easy to make outlandish claims, very hard to back them up.

Again, where does it state Bixby has 'beaten out' the other AI assistants? Certainly doesn't say it in the article, nor has it been demonstrated in the real world.

Velenoso

Nov 11, 2018
Visit site
I'll believe it when I see it. Easy to make outlandish claims, very hard to back them up.

Again, where does it state Bixby has 'beaten out' the other AI assistants? Certainly doesn't say it in the article, nor has it been demonstrated in the real world.

It's implied in the heading of the article, "Did Samsung's Bixby just beat out Siri, Alexa and Google"

Plus I've been looking into this reading other articles and they say the new bixby will be released next year, maybe to coincide with Samsung's 10th anniversary.

If your not happy about my post who cares.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
It's implied in the heading of the article, "Did Samsung's Bixby just beat out Siri, Alexa and Google"

Plus I've been looking into this reading other articles and they say the new bixby will be released next year, maybe to coincide with Samsung's 10th anniversary.

If your not happy about my post who cares.

This was your original comment, posted as a factual statement that has already happened:

They are, in recent articles which I can't find but did read, bixby beat down siri google assist and alexa in a show down. Also in that article they stated that samsung will be spending 22 billion on bixby over the next 2 years.

Found it.

https://www.afr.com/technology/did-samsungs-bixby-just-beat-out-siri-alexa-and-google-20181107-h17n1y

The the article you source doesn't make the claim you did, it poses a question.

Then when you read the article, it suggests that Bixby *could* beat out the other AI assistants given the new technology. And sure it could, but Google and Amazon and Apple will also be improving their AI assistants too, but they are in a far better position than Bixby is right now.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site

Found it.

Can you link the article where Bixby beat down Siri, Google assistant, and Alexa in a show down? The article you linked just talks about what Samsung is working on.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
There is always something new rumored to come out next. I know someone that had a Galaxy Note 4 until two weeks ago and he upgraded to a Note 9. He is happy. Me, I did get a new device every year, until last year and I said no. I'm sitting on a S8+ and I'm going to wait and see what actually come out from Samsung in the Spring. Rumors don't always happen.
Same. Still rocking my S8. It'll be the S10 or......something for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22