Why have a front facing camera?

UseAndroid86

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
What's frustrating me is all this effort to incorporate a front facing camera when I have never once used a front facing camera. Never used the Iris scanning feature, never used it as a mirror, definitely never used it for selfies. Seems to me that this feature is holding back the evolution of the phone. Couldn't they have a model specifically with or without the front camera? Am I alone on this?

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
A phone without a good front facing camera would sell horribly. Some people like you may not use it, but most people do occasionally and some very frequently.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've rarely used mine and would be fine without it. But selfies are extremely popular (even starting to replace autographs with celebs), so I can see why manufacturers use them.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
And it's not only about selfies, more and more people use the front camera for video calls, being with friends, relatives or even business. As stated above, a phone without a front camera or any workaround trick would sell terribly.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I agree OP but that will never happen.

The only reason I do selfies is because my girl wants me to. LOL

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
What's frustrating me is all this effort to incorporate a front facing camera when I have never once used a front facing camera. Never used the Iris scanning feature, never used it as a mirror, definitely never used it for selfies. Seems to me that this feature is holding back the evolution of the phone. Couldn't they have a model specifically with or without the front camera? Am I alone on this?

Yes, you're alone on this.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
You may not be alone, but nearly. No front camera and the phone won't sell. I could easily do without selfies, but I do video chat with wife and kids.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I do selfies all the time and snapchats using the front facing camera. I can't see it going away but it is popular and lots of people do video chat I guess. I have an App called Tango and I used to video chat with my dad who has an iPhone but he never knows how to use it or answer LOL!

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Never used mine but I have seen people who apparently have forgotten what they look like & so must keep taking selfies! I think it's an addiction!

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
No, he's not alone, but a phone with no front facing camara is just not going to be successful today. Yes, selfies (I agree, an addiction for some), but also video conferencing for work, family and friends is expected in a modern handset.
Err no he's not!

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
No, he's not alone, but a phone with no front facing camara is just not going to be successful today. Yes, selfies (I agree, an addiction for some), but also video conferencing for work, family and friends is expected in a modern handset.

Exactly. And this wasn't even a point of discussion until the hole punch. Let's get real. If you don't like the hole punch design, you don't like the hole punch design. We get it. But let's not start insulting people who require a front camera for a variety of reasons, because you don't like a design choice ( not *you*, but others in the thread).

Last edited: