Google play music album art problem

xxpc12

Sep 8, 2020
Visit site
I used to be able to add a music file to a certain location and then the system will automatically link the image within the folder with the music file like this:

Music/X1/music.mp3
Music/X1/pic.jpg

There would be a .thumbnails folder in the Music folder which contains compressed pic.jpg in which Google play music will then treat it as the album cover of folder X1.

None of the above actions ever required me to edit any tags or anything.

I wonder why does it not work anymore.

Any ideas in how I could trigger these functions? I tried many things, clear data Google play music, clear data MediaStorage, clear .thumbnails, nothing seems to work.

Thanks.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
No idea what the fix would be, but do remember that Google Play Music is now a defunct app that is officially discontinued and will cease development/work soon. It is being replaced by YouTube Music.

if you're looking for a solid local file media player, most people recommend MX Player as an option.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't put too much effort into it, the Play Music service is being shut down soon in favor of YouTube Music.

Laurieb52

Apr 10, 2018
Visit site
You can still download and use music manager for 4 more days, then use it to go into Google play music and add album art. I've been rushing to get some final songs uploaded to Google play music, add missing album covers and make additional playlists. You'll then have until at least October 1 to get everything transferred to you tube music. After September 13, the ability to use music manager and the ability to purchase music on Google play go away.