Music disappears days/weeks after downloading, even if not in downloads folder.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I refuse to use spotify and such services, I download MP3's and keep them locally on my phone (galaxy s10e, android 11, one UI 3.1). I use the samsung music app. However I've had a recurring problem for as long as I can remember having this phone: songs delete themselves after a certain time (sometimes days, sometimes 1-2 weeks), even if I download them directly to "music" and not "downloads". This has even happened after I put songs in the music folder via usb from my laptop. I remember reading about someone else having this problem with photos a while back.

I'd understand if this was a download cache clearing thing, but not everything gets deleted from downloads. PDFs and other files, including photos, stay in the downloads folder. Its just when I download music (usually from my transferring music folder on onedrive, but also from email attachments). And as I mentioned, it even happens sometimes when I transfer files directly to the default music folder from file explorer on my laptop.

I've even tried two other music apps - same thing happens.

Any help solving this issue appreciated.

ihertzler

Sep 24, 2021
Visit site
You use any app cleaners or have a sd card ?

I'll leave a Link to register so you can communicate here, As a guest account you can only post questions but can't reply
https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=409154

I do not use app cleaners nor do I use an SD card. To answer the other question, I obtain my MP3s from questionable sources on the web on my computer, and I when I gather enough new music, I put them in a folder on onedrive. I access onedrive from the app on my phone, select the music that I uploaded, hit "save", and it gives me the option of choosing a folder in the phone's directory to download it to. Default is "Downloads", but I put it in "Music", as this is makes the most sense to me (although the samsung music app will draw music files from any folder in the phone, not just "Music").

I just noticed the "device care" app has an "auto optimize" feature that is on by default. I turned this off and we'll see if this stops the phone deleting files, although this seems to have more to do with shutting down apps and conserving RAM. However, this shouldn't be deleting files that purposely bypass the temp downloads folder. And neither should it be deleting files that I've shoveled directly into the Music folder via USB from the laptop, which also happens.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I do not use app cleaners nor do I use an SD card. To answer the other question, I obtain my MP3s from questionable sources on the web on my computer, and I when I gather enough new music, I put them in a folder on onedrive. I access onedrive from the app on my phone, select the music that I uploaded, hit "save", and it gives me the option of choosing a folder in the phone's directory to download it to. Default is "Downloads", but I put it in "Music", as this is makes the most sense to me (although the samsung music app will draw music files from any folder in the phone, not just "Music").

I just noticed the "device care" app has an "auto optimize" feature that is on by default. I turned this off and we'll see if this stops the phone deleting files, although this seems to have more to do with shutting down apps and conserving RAM. However, this shouldn't be deleting files that purposely bypass the temp downloads folder. And neither should it be deleting files that I've shoveled directly into the Music folder via USB from the laptop, which also happens.
Hi, welcome to AC !

This where i circled in my screenshot shouldn't delete those files , which Samsung model you have ? How long does it take to delete?Screenshot_20210923-230542_Device%20care.jpg

Last edited:

ihertzler

Sep 24, 2021
Visit site
Clicking that button resulted in this: (screenshot). It took about 5 seconds and no files were deleted. For the record, i also never use this feature and any music deleted hasn't come from me clicking "optimize".

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210927-200308_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20210927-200308_Device care.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 3

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Clicking that button resulted in this: (screenshot). It took about 5 seconds and no files were deleted. For the record, i also never use this feature and any music deleted hasn't come from me clicking "optimize".
Yeah thats what i mean using that wont delete those files