Anyone interested in the S10e for size alone?

nate0

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Samsung released the 10e to rival the XR, that's the main reason why. Another reason is because they raised the price of the Galaxy s lines. The plus starts at a $1000 and the regular at $899 so they needed something more affordable. Has little to do with sales from last year

Ya the pricing is nuts now for this stuff. Gladly bought a LG G6 yesterday mint condition for 100.00. I can wait a year or two and get an S10 for 100 somewhere....

douglas4895

Apr 15, 2019
Visit site
you still have "digital" zoom capabilities on the camera instead of hardware based, only difference. and as far as an "in screen" fingerprint sensor, i'd rather have a physical button for now. I'll let early adopters be the test pilots for that and wait. I'd rather have a flat screen and a "small" phone.

Darth Vader4

Apr 15, 2019
Visit site
If the S10e had the third camera lense like the other two, I definitely would have went with it. 6 gigs of RAM is PLENTY for what 99% of us need and have to do. The smaller screen offsets the lower resolution. S10e is a perfectly sized phone with more than enough features to satiate just about anyone, save for socialites. I can see it easily becoming Samsung's most popular smartphone yet.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I had one briefly but sold it. The size was terrific and just what I was/am looking for but as a lefty the fps placement is terrible. Not easy to reach with your index finger without adjusting your grip.

I get that there are more right than left handed people but designing a phone that has compromises for a large proportion of people is just dumb imo.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I had one briefly but sold it. The size was terrific and just what I was/am looking for but as a lefty the fps placement is terrible. Not easy to reach with your index finger without adjusting your grip.

I get that there are more right than left handed people but designing a phone that has compromises for a large proportion of people is just dumb imo.

I’m left handed with small hands and having no problems. If I am using my right hand I use my thumb to unlock, if I’m using my left hand I have it set for my middle finger. I still would have preferred it on the back, but in general it hasn’t been a problem for me.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I’m left handed with small hands and having no problems. If I am using my right hand I use my thumb to unlock, if I’m using my left hand I have it set for my middle finger. I still would have preferred it on the back, but in general it hasn’t been a problem for me.

It's the same for me but I have long fingers. The middle finger hits the spot for me.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Really interesting. In the normal holding position i.e. how I would type there is no way I could reach around to the sensor. I had to shift my grip up to reach and from there I could not type or use the phone normally without shifting down again. Hardly the end of world but compared to a rear or front ‘don’t even have to think about it’ sensor a hassle to do multiple times per day.

Are you both saying you can hold the phone in the normal position without shifting at all and still reach it?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm circling back to the Samsung Galaxy S10e. And size is a huge factor. Also, the side fingerprint scanner sounds intriguing.

frifred

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
The small size is exactly why I want this. I'm a long time LG user, but I'm so sick of phones getting bigger and bigger. I just want to be able to use a phone comfortably in one hand like I could with the G3. This phone is a smidge smaller than the G3 with a larger screen, so I'm pretty excited. The icing on the cake is that I don't have to give up an ultra wide camera lens. That was literally the only thing keeping me in LG's pockets.

Me too! I had the LG G2, G4, and G6. My favorite was the G4 and the S10e reminds me somewhat of that one. I did not care that much for the new G8, so I went with the S10e. And, so far, I am happy with my choice!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Man, this phone is becoming more and more enticing with each passing day... And the size is a huge factor! When I do get it (and if I do lool), I'm considering buying outright from Samsung. Has anyone else done this?

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Man, this phone is becoming more and more enticing with each passing day... And the size is a huge factor! When I do get it (and if I do lool), I'm considering buying outright from Samsung. Has anyone else done this?
I have but it helps to do it that way with the trade in deal that they might have.
Otherwise, unless you have a student or work discount, it might not be worth it.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have but it helps to do it that way with the trade in deal that they might have.
Otherwise, unless you have a student or work discount, it might not be worth it.

Thank you for your input! I just love buying unlocked phones and paying them off in my own time instead of slowly bleeding through a carrier for two years. I hesitate to buy it through my carrier.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Just an update. I've had the S10e for a few weeks now. Girlfriend has the S10. My decision was based primarily on size, but, after using it these pass few weeks, I don't feel that its smaller size benefits its one-handed usability as much as I would have liked.

There are some instances requiring stretching or a second hand. Between Samsung moving a lot of the UI down and being able to quickly shrink the screen temporarily (which I've done on the S10e on occasion), I just don't think the size is a better selling point than the price for this phone.

The benefit of the size is that it does feel better in hand, but not significantly so compared to the regular S10. Also, if you like using a battery case, you'd be better off with this over the slightly bigger model.

Regarding the side fingerprint scanner: I am not a fan. At all. Plenty of instances where my fingerprint isn't registering because my finger or thumb didn't cover the button entirely. With his I hold my phone, I have to be mindful when using the fingerprint because it's not as natural and effortless to use as a back scanner would have been. My girlfriend has not had any problems with her in-screen reader.

I'm one hundred percent satisfied, but would get the standard size given opportunity.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Just an update. I've had the S10e for a few weeks now. Girlfriend has the S10. My decision was based primarily on size, but, after using it these pass few weeks, I don't feel that its smaller size benefits its one-handed usability as much as I would have liked.

There are some instances requiring stretching or a second hand. Between Samsung moving a lot of the UI down and being able to quickly shrink the screen temporarily (which I've done on the S10e on occasion), I just don't think the size is a better selling point than the price for this phone.

The benefit of the size is that it does feel better in hand, but not significantly so compared to the regular S10. Also, if you like using a battery case, you'd be better off with this over the slightly bigger model.

Regarding the side fingerprint scanner: I am not a fan. At all. Plenty of instances where my fingerprint isn't registering because my finger or thumb didn't cover the button entirely. With his I hold my phone, I have to be mindful when using the fingerprint because it's not as natural and effortless to use as a back scanner would have been. My girlfriend has not had any problems with her in-screen reader.

I'm one hundred percent satisfied, but would get the standard size given opportunity.

Thank you for your review! One reviewer I watched said that the side fingerprint scanner worked pretty flawlessly. But I see your point that it may be cumbersome if your full finger wasn't on it. Have you registered a few fingers? Hopefully in time it will get better for you!

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for your review! One reviewer I watched said that the side fingerprint scanner worked pretty flawlessly. But I see your point that it may be cumbersome if your full finger wasn't on it. Have you registered a few fingers? Hopefully in time it will get better for you!

I have my right thumb registered twice, then my left and right index fingers registered. It does work flawlessly—when my thumb covers it entirely. The problem is, without thinking about how I'm placing my thumb, I'm not usually covering the full scanner when I just casually toss it up there. I've actually had more luck unlocking by wrapping my left index finger around.

I just need to be more mindful and in my place my thumb. It'll be me habit eventually. You'd think I'd be able to effortlessly get it right every time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech