Unlocked S10e use with Verizon, FYI

jlp0209

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
Returned my Verizon branded S10+ for a variety of reasons and decided on a whim to try an unlocked S10e. For those on Verizon on the fence about buying an unlocked S10, I can confirm that all key Verizon features work (that I'm aware of at least...not sure about Verizon video calling, but I use Duo for that anyway so couldn't care less). I have VoLTE, HD voice, WiFi calling (!), and basic visual voice mail all up and running perfectly.

Have not seen much, if anything, posted about carrier features working on unlocked S10 series phones. Just wanted to post my experience. For those on Verizon, unlocked works perfectly.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for sharing! I just switched and I saw the WiFi calling toggle but I wasn't sure if it would work for me or not. This is very reassuring.

jlp0209

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
You're welcome. Here's a screen capture of my phone. You'll see the WiFi signal bars with the phone symbol in the dialer when your phone uses WiFi calling. I also tested my phone in airplane mode with WiFi enabled, made a call just fine over WiFi calling.

GS10.jpg

Rob McEntegart

Mar 16, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. My Verizon Pixel 2 is a year old and a month ago wifi calling stopped working. Verizon fixed it in a chat but that only lasted a day. I need wifi calling in airplane mode because cell service in my home office varies from okay to nothing, unpredictably. So you got an unlocked S10e (on Amazon?) and stuck in your Verizon sim card and you've got wifi calling in airplane mode?

rolexreviews

Feb 23, 2019
Visit site
what do you mean Visual Voicemail? I've always had to use YouMail because visual voicemail never seemed to work on android...

You talking about the stock Samsung voicemail app or like a Verizon Voicemail app?

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. My Verizon Pixel 2 is a year old and a month ago wifi calling stopped working. Verizon fixed it in a chat but that only lasted a day. I need wifi calling in airplane mode because cell service in my home office varies from okay to nothing, unpredictably. So you got an unlocked S10e (on Amazon?) and stuck in your Verizon sim card and you've got wifi calling in airplane mode?

For me, I got mine directly from Samsung. The WiFi calling is a switch in the phone app.
If it helps, the Verizon system had no issue identifying my phone. They already knew that my phone was the S10e and it has an image online (I mean on Verizon's site) for it. Not a ?.

Just make sure you get the model that ends in U1.

jlp0209

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site

I activated my unlocked S10e in my Verizon account online and everything works perfectly. WiFi calling works as it would on any Verizon branded phone, when signal is weak and / or in airplane mode with WiFi on. I got mine from Best Buy.

jlp0209

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
what do you mean Visual Voicemail? I've always had to use YouMail because visual voicemail never seemed to work on android...

You talking about the stock Samsung voicemail app or like a Verizon Voicemail app?

I had to go into my Verizon account online and add basic visual voicemail onto my line. Then it worked right away with the stock Samsung voice mail app. I opened the app and the "terms and conditions" for basic visual voice mail popped up, accepted it, and it works.

rolexreviews

Feb 23, 2019
Visit site
I had to go into my Verizon account online and add basic visual voicemail onto my line. Then it worked right away with the stock Samsung voice mail app. I opened the app and the "terms and conditions" for basic visual voice mail popped up, accepted it, and it works.
Do you mind posting a screenshot of what it looks like? (blocking out sensitive data of course)

Do I have this option for prepaid service?

rolexreviews

Feb 23, 2019
Visit site
I did it through My Verizon app on my phone. I'm not sure about prepaid though.
I just disabled the 3rd party visual voicemail and this is how my stock Verizon voicemail app looks.

Does not give me any kind of visual voicemail at all. Wondering is this is a prepaid limitation or I'm just not doing it right
1d571e0ccfec987144cdd526e5ece113.jpg

EDIT: yup just googled it, it's disabled on Verizon prepaid. oh well, YouMail is a great app so im not bummed by this

Last edited:

jlp0209

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
I just disabled the 3rd party visual voicemail and this is how my stock Verizon voicemail app looks.

Does not give me any kind of visual voicemail at all. Wondering is this is a prepaid limitation or I'm just not doing it right//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190317/1d571e0ccfec987144cdd526e5ece113.jpg

EDIT: yup just googled it, it's disabled on Verizon prepaid. oh well, YouMail is a great app so im not bummed by this

Gotcha, yeah I'm on postpaid here's my voice mail screen.

Attachments

• 1163.jpg
    1163.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 68

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Returned my Verizon branded S10+ for a variety of reasons and decided on a whim to try an unlocked S10e. For those on Verizon on the fence about buying an unlocked S10, I can confirm that all key Verizon features work (that I'm aware of at least...not sure about Verizon video calling, but I use Duo for that anyway so couldn't care less). I have VoLTE, HD voice, WiFi calling (!), and basic visual voice mail all up and running perfectly.

Have not seen much, if anything, posted about carrier features working on unlocked S10 series phones. Just wanted to post my experience. For those on Verizon, unlocked works perfectly.
How did you check HD calling works? If I search for advanced calling it doesn't show any results in the settings.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
For me, I see it as a feature on my Verizon account. Someone would have to confirm if there's a secondary way.
I saw on the S10+ forum that advanced calling is a setting, search for advanced calling in the settings page and it'll show up at least in the Verizon version. In the unlocked model it doesn't show anything.

dfeda992deedbc0f9539a1d41bc69dad.jpg