No Secure Startup option for Internal Encryption

android_freak1

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Just got myself the Galaxy S10e and It seems that the Secure Startup option got replaced with Strong Protection with the Encryption toggle switched to Enabled/Data Protection (under the More Secure Settings options) and was already ON by default Is there still an option somewhere for Secure Startup? I know on my previous Galaxy S9, there was Secure Startup, but the S10e does not even ask for the screen lock password before the phone boots into Android despite setting up a screen lock password during the setup process.

Can anyone confirm if Samsung dropped the name from Secure Startup to Strong Protection/Data Protection (under the More Security Settings options) to encrypt internal data on the phone?

On my S9 phone, I had to enter the screen lock password before the phone booted into Android, but now with the S10e, I do not get that now. Has Samsung changed the way how the device encryption works on the S10e or other S10 series phones?

Thanks!

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Device encryption is called "strong protection" on my S10e.

Your phone should ask for your password to unlock unless you've set up smart lock. If you haven't, try setting the password up again.

Where did you buy the phone?

android_freak1

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, I meant Strong Protection.

On your S10e, when you restart your phone, does it ask for your screen lock password with the following text message above it like this BEFORE you get to the actual Android screen lock again?

Your phone is encrypted for security. To start up your device,enter your password

Mine just boots to Android and then from there I do need to enter the lock screen password and then after that, it says briefly Phone is Starting...And then my home screen appears.

Did not setup Smart Lock.

Last edited:

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
No, Android doesn't do that anymore and hasn't for a couple of versions... Though it may have taken Samsung a while to catch up, they do seem a bit behind the times in a few areas.

It sounds like your device is working normally, nothing to worry about.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
and I don't like it. I preferred the encryption before the phone had done anything. Seems like a much easier way to get around the security.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Just got myself the Galaxy S10e and It seems that the Secure Startup option got replaced with Strong Protection with the Encryption toggle switched to Enabled/Data Protection (under the More Secure Settings options) and was already ON by default Is there still an option somewhere for Secure Startup? I know on my previous Galaxy S9, there was Secure Startup, but the S10e does not even ask for the screen lock password before the phone boots into Android despite setting up a screen lock password during the setup process.

Can anyone confirm if Samsung dropped the name from Secure Startup to Strong Protection/Data Protection (under the More Security Settings options) to encrypt internal data on the phone?

On my S9 phone, I had to enter the screen lock password before the phone booted into Android, but now with the S10e, I do not get that now. Has Samsung changed the way how the device encryption works on the S10e or other S10 series phones?

Thanks!
If you go to settings and type in search bar strong protection it dont come up?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Strong Potection is there, I see it and it is enabled by default.

My question was, has Secure Startup been replaced by Strong Protection?

Essentially, yes.

and I don't like it. I preferred the encryption before the phone had done anything. Seems like a much easier way to get around the security.

It's still encrypted, and your data doesn't get decrypted until you enter your password. It stores the stuff that loads up before you enter your password separately and it's no less secure them requiring a password at boot.

It's a much better way of doing things.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
With secure startup you can do nothing with your phone until the password is entered, but with strong startup calls, messages and alarms are still available. And I have issues with that.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
That's precisely why it's better.

Why wouldn't you want it to receive calls? That can be the difference between finding it and not if it's ever lost.

And what possible reason could you have for wanting to miss an alarm?

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
So I can turn off the phone and the police can't get anything. Paranoia, maybe. But it was an easy way to make sure no one has any access. If someone steals my phone, can't do anything with it.
Besides, put in your password and you have all your alarms anyway. No big deal, just an extra level of security

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
If you hav turn your phone off, the police, or anyone else, can get no more information than before except your lock screen background... So yeah, change that photo of you murdering someone on 75 kilos of cocaine and you would be good

The only difference it makes if someone steals your phone the only difference is you might actually be about to find out where it is. And come on, what are the chances the thing will be turned off when someone nicks it anyway?

The thing you're either not understanding or choosing yo ignore is that, as I've said, your phone is encrypted until you enter your password. There is no extra level of security.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I understand you, I just think you and I disagree about how strong the encryption is. With secure startup the phone cannot do anything until a password is entered, nothing. That is my preference. You prefer to restart and have it available to use the most basic features. To me that is a glaring hole in security.

It's not about bales of cocaine it's about having over reaching police or the like having any unwanted access to my phone.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
That's the point though, your basic premise is that what Samsung call "strong protection" is less secure, and that's a fallacy.

It might "feel" less secure, but that's simply not the case.

ralbrux

Jul 3, 2019
Visit site
I'm like android_freak1 I recently acquired a S10e. I have activated strong protection and understand it to encrypt the entire phone. Is that so?

I found the discussion in this thread to be helpful. However, I find information on this security setting in the manual and on Samsung sites to be bit sketchy. I have done a fair amount of googling, but am still a bit in the dark on strong protection.

Does anyone know if this is an implementation of full disk encryption enhanced by file-based encryption (direct boot) as implemented by Android since v 7?

Thanks for any info anyone may have.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol