Why I picked S10e over S10 and S10+. My reasons. let me know what you think.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I picked up S10e couple weeks ago.Since then my carrier had introduced a new very attractive promotion on S10. That promotion would allow me to get S10 at the same monthly cost as S10e. I could swap S10e for "superior" and more expensive S10.

The only difference between two options was the higher cost of replacement should S10 got damaged or stolen before the term was up.

So up to today I had opportunity to swap S10e for S10 and.... I almost did but I changed my mind at the last second.

I decided to keep S10e because I think S10e is a better, less gimmicky phone of the two and here are my reasons

First. S10 and S10e are the same width. S10 is just taller. So typing on S10 is no better than typing on S10e.

Second. Typing in curved display is prone to making more mistakes.

Third. Curved screens are more fragile and easier to damage. I had two bad experiences with curved screens before. One on my old Blackberry PRIV which got damaged twice and then on my friend's S9 which got damaged from a single drop on the floor literally two days after the phone was purchase. Glass in tow corners of the screen got cracked. The phone was in official Samsung case at that time.

Fourth. Cost of replacing curved screen must be significantly higher than replacing flat screen because it does not have fancy thumb unlocking sensor and it is not curved.

Fifth. S10e smaller battery lasts longer than S10 battery. There are several battery drain tests on YouTube and S10 comes worst. This must be due to higher resolution and taller screen.

Sixth. S10e fits perfectly in a pocket. S10 does not fit in a pocket due to height.

Seventh. S10 third 2x optical camera is a bit of a gimmick. i cannot imaging it being any better than 2x digital zoom. it is only 2x zoom after all !

Eight. The extra 2Gb of RAM is great on ... PC with Windows 10. I cannot imaging how many apps i would need to have open at the same time for that 2Gb to make real difference.

Ninth. S10 higher resolution is a bit of a gimmick again because it drains battery faster and it marginally looks better on phone with HD+ resolution like S10e.

Tenth. S10e is easier to hold in hand then S10 because it is smaller and is less heavy.

Eleventh: Screen protectors are challenge to put on curved screen

Twelfth: Cases offer better protection on flat screens vs curved screens.

As to S10e vs S10+

S10+ is wider,has bigger battery and extra camera in the front and back but it is also so expensive expensive, heavier and the extra screen size is a bit of overkill on phone without s-pen support. Big screen is great on Note because is easier to hand write notes on bigger screen.

So for me S10e is a winner and i do not mind forging opportunity to own S10 without extra carrying monthly cost.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'll play.

The size, I'm a bit burnt out on giant phones.

The screen, curves is for ladies, not phone screens.

The fingerprint sensor, I just didn't really trust in-display to be good enough yet.

Finally, and most importantly... IT'S BRIGHT FRIGGIN' YELLOW!!! You can keep your boring black S10. I've also got the yellow galaxy buds, they match the laces in my Doc's and the joy-cons on my switch. Bet you can't guess my favourite colour.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
What carrier has yellow? I'd love to have that color.

I bought it unlocked, I don't mess around with carriers.

Unfortunately, if you spell colour without the U, you probably can't get it. It's not available in the US, you guys get pink instead.

On the plus side, you're not stuck with an Exynos... the yellow is worth it though!

scottcraft

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I bought it unlocked, I don't mess around with carriers.

Unfortunately, if you spell colour without the U, you probably can't get it. It's not available in the US, you guys get pink instead.

On the plus side, you're not stuck with an Exynos... the yellow is worth it though!
Ah... I spell color sooo, lol. I saw the yellow on a droid life video and it looked really good.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it's really nice in person, super bright.

These regional colours have always done my head in... I'm sure there's plenty of Americans who'd like the yellow or green, and plenty of Brits who would love the pink! And yet we all get white, the worst colour there is for a phone!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I picked up S10e couple weeks ago.Since then my carrier had introduced a new very attractive promotion on S10. That promotion would allow me to get S10 at the same monthly cost as S10e. I could swap S10e for "superior" and more expensive S10.

The only difference between two options was the higher cost of replacement should S10 got damaged or stolen before the term was up.

So up to today I had opportunity to swap S10e for S10 and.... I almost did but I changed my mind at the last second.

I decided to keep S10e because I think S10e is a better, less gimmicky phone of the two and here are my reasons

First. S10 and S10e are the same width. S10 is just taller. So typing on S10 is no better than typing on S10e.

Third. Curved screens are more fragile and easier to damage. I had two bad experiences with curved screens before. One on my old Blackberry PRIV which got damaged twice and then on my friend's S9 which got damaged from a single drop on the floor literally two days after the phone was purchase. Glass in tow corners of the screen got cracked. The phone was in official Samsung case at that time.

Fourth. Cost of replacing curved screen must be significantly higher than replacing flat screen because it does not have fancy thumb unlocking sensor and it is not curved.

Fifth. S10e smaller battery lasts longer than S10 battery. There are several battery drain tests on YouTube and S10 comes worst. This must be due to higher resolution and taller screen.

Sixth. S10e fits perfectly in a pocket. S10 does not fit in a pocket due to height.

Seventh. S10 third 2x optical camera is a bit of a gimmick. i cannot imaging it being any better than 2x digital zoom. it is only 2x zoom after all !

Eight. The extra 2Gb of RAM is great on ... PC with Windows 10. I cannot imaging how many apps i would need to have open at the same time for that 2Gb to make real difference.

Ninth. S10 higher resolution is a bit of a gimmick again because it drains battery faster and it marginally looks better on phone with HD+ resolution like S10e.

Tenth. S10e is easier to hold in hand then S10 because it is smaller and is less heavy.

As to S10e vs S10+

S10+ is wider,has bigger battery and extra camera in the front and back but it is also so expensive expensive, heavier and the extra screen size is a bit of overkill on phone without s-pen support. Big screen is great on Note because is easier to hand write notes on bigger screen.

So for me S10e is a winner and i do not mind forging opportunity to own S10 without extra carrying monthly cost.

They are your reasons and it sounds like you bought the right phone for you. Nothing wrong with that....don't second guess yourself any longer.

scottcraft

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

These regional colours have always done my head in... I'm sure there's plenty of Americans who'd like the yellow or green, and plenty of Brits who would love the pink! And yet we all get white, the worst colour there is for a phone!
Yeah, that really doesn't make sense to me. I would be interested in green as well.

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I traded in a Note 8 for the S10e mainly because of size and location of fingerprint scanner. Note 8 feel out of shirt pocket numerous times since it was so tall. I have always really loved the Notes, owning the 4, 5, 7, and 8. The 7 was my favorite by far. But I got tired of the size so opted for the S10e and have no regrets.

Now if Samsung would only make a Note Mini the size of the S10e I would jump all over it!

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Swapped my iPhone XS for an S10 and I honestly miss the fingerprint sensor in the power button on the S10e.

Last edited:

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site

I would love the green and I could get it but not for the loss of carrier features since they set up phones that way here.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure there's plenty of Americans who'd like the yellow or green, and plenty of Brits who would love the pink!
I don't know about pink - maybe BRG*? Pink for the ladies, though - I see a lot of them carrying their phones (whatever they are) in pinkish cases.

(*British Racing Green for those not into international car racing.)

Curved screens are flat screens, heated to about bright cherry red and pressed over a curved form. Then they have to be properly annealed to relieve all stresses in the curves. Samsung doesn't seem to be so great at that. I've heard of phones having broken screens from just tapping the edge of the phone on one's knee.

Digital "zoom" is just taking a smaller piece of the picture (1/4 in this case) and enlarging it to full size. In this case, you lose 3/4 of the quality. Optical Zoom is changing the position of the lenses (or switching camera in some phones), so as long as the design is done correctly, the picture quality doesn't change. (Everything gets foreshortened, though - but that's normal for telephoto lenses).

Walking to half the distance does the same thing - without foreshortening.

That depends on how long you keep phones. I tend to keep mine running until they can't be used any more. (I still have a few analog phones, and a few that do voice over 2G or CDMA. They work, there are just no towers in the US to use them on.) 12GB would be about right for my needs, because by the time I stop using a phone I buy now, the OS will probably be using half of that.

That never bothered me, since I use Otterbox Defenders. But dropping a curved screen phone in a Defender, it there's an unrelieved stress point, could still break the screen.

Last edited:

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I traded in my Note 8 to get my son the 10e back at release and he loves it. So do I. I use a Note 9, but there are many times that I pick up his phone and I'm a little jealous. In my opinion, Samsung nailed it with the 10e. Great balance of features, size and price. I use my S-Pen daily so I think I'd miss that, but if I were going with the S line, it would, more than likely, be the 10e.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

As to S10e vs S10+

All valid reasons. I personally got the s10e because i wasn't a fan of the curve. To me it was a bit small tho.

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying one now, will see when it gets here but I wanna toss the Note 9. Too tall, too heavy and the curved screen. with a decent case it's least 215 grams. also wanna ditch the back fingerprint panel.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Size is a major reason, that's why sold my Xs Max for Xs, 3 XL for 3a and have used all versions of S10 series and settled with S10e. Thanks ergonomic advantages of using small phones outweighs everything else for me. And the the flat screen on the S10e is added bonus compared to curved ones on the other S10 phones.

I have got tired with big phones and settled with the smaller sized counterparts over the last few months.

android_freak1

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Bought the S10e recently and so far so good. Just love the form factor. I owned a S9, and just hated the curved screen.

I hope Samsung will keep this form factor on their new future release phones. And, I wish people can submit their positive feedback on the S10e so Samsung can continue releasing these NON-CURVED display screens.

I think the S10e is a great choice!

Chris Williams8

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
It depends on how good your eyesight is but Quad HD looks much better than Full HD. Definitely not a gimmick. Not to mention there are loads of content on YouTube and Netflix you can watch in Quad HD at the moment.

It's one of my favorite features of the phone.

But if you don't do a lot of media consumption on your phone it may not matter.

bxrider117

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I recently purchased the S10e. Best Buy had the unlocked version for $300 off. You just have to have an eligible upgrade on a phone line. I have the S10+,but like many I'm burnt out on big phones. Today is just my 2nd day with the phone. So far so good. I'm just waiting in my case from Amazon to get a better grip and feel for use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs