S10e with EU SIM Card Only (need advice)

android_freak1

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Purchased an unlocked Galaxy S10e phone and just noticed on the box that it reads European SIM Card Only.

Previous to the S10e, I owned a Galaxy S9 also purchased from Europe and I just inserted the same SIM card that was in the S9 to the S10e.

Before travelling to the US, do I need to make the same 5-10 minute calls using the same local country SIM card that was in my S9 using my current S10e phone?

If I travel to the US, I cannot use a US SIM card on my new S10e since it says European SIM Card Only?

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Check the model and see if it supports US radio bands (it should). The warning is for what you mention, it won't be truly 'unlocked' unless you use an Euro SIM first. Once it's unlocked, then you can use any compatible SIM as long as the radio frequencies your intended carrier uses are supported by the phone,

android_freak1

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I know the model number but what radio frequencies should I look for? Is there a webpage that I can enter the model number and check?

Once I am in the US, probably will be using T-Mobile.

But first I need to make some outgoing calls from my current local EU country SIM card for long as 5 to 10 minutes for it to region unlock?

Last edited:

frifred

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
There are a number of websites that will show you the bands that your model supports. GSMarena is one, but there are others. Just do an online search. As for which bands T-Mobile uses, I am sure that you can easily search for that as well (I use a different carrier, so am not familiar with T0Mobile).

android_freak1

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I had taken out my local EU country SIM card which I had been using on my previous phone which was the Galaxy S9 and had put it into the new S10e. Do I still need to make the 5 to 10 minute calls for it to region unlock so I can put in a US SIM card whenever I need to use the S10e in the US?

Here are the Radio Bands information for my S10e device below:

For Galaxy S10e (SM-G970F)
https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s10e-9537.php#sm-g970f/ds

T-Mobile Information on Radio Bands
https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4988#frequencies

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
To get the factual true radio bands go to Samsung UK website and check the specs for your model number. Then do the same on Samsung USA website.
I've got burned in the past by verifying bands using third party websites.

android_freak1

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Will check it, thanks.

In the meantime, can you please assist me with my next question?

I had taken out my local EU country SIM card which I had been using on my previous phone which was the Galaxy S9 and had put it into the new S10e. Do I still need to make the 5 to 10 minute calls for it to region unlock so I can put in a US SIM card whenever I need to use the S10e in the US?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't have the be the 10 minute call now, I think, but yes, the first call made on the device should be with an Euro SIM for it become active and properly unlocked.

android_freak1

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I will make some outgoing 5 to 10 minute calls for it to be region unlocked.
And should this be only making outgoing calls from my S10e to other mobile phones here in my local EU country or should there be some incoming calls as well?

My S10e which I purchased in Europe SHOULD work with the US radio bands?

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't matter (for the call) as long as the SIM being active at first-use is an European one with an European carrier.

As for the US radio bands, if the listing matches the frequencies you want to use with the US carrier, yes. Most of the time the ones you need to look out for are the LTE bands as those are the ones that sometimes differ between European and US carriers/models, so it might work for voice/text and 3G, but you might not have 4G data if you don't have the proper LTE channel support. I assume you took a look at the links above or from a Google search.

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
Also bear in mind it won't show 4G LTE status bar once used here in the USA. It'll show 4G even when connected to LTE. It was like this on previous devices. You in UK at the moment?

android_freak1

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I’m just going to have to find out once I am there to see how it goes.

I rarely make calls on my phone and the most I use is the internet for checking email and browsing. So WiFi nearby would work out just in case the radio bands don’t work.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2