Disappointed with sound for music

Wanderlust_Girl

Jul 22, 2019
Visit site
So I just picked up the S10e, replacing a J3 Eclipse. Nice speed upgrade, more efficient interface, but I immediately noticed the headphone sound wasn't as good as with my Eclipse (which had no enhancements made to the stock sound).

The highs on the S10e are tinny and shrill, even after adjusting the EQ, using Altos and adapting the sound, which maybe made a slight improvement. I'm using Apple earbuds which have always given the best sound on any device I've used.

Anyone else notice this? Perhaps it's just my device? I could live with it, as it's not terrible or broken, but I use my phone very heavily for music, so I'm leaning towards returning it as I shouldn't be taking a step backwards when it comes to audio.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Even though your Apple earbuds have been your best earphones, have you tried others on the phone? Apple headphones can be a little funky when it comes to Android devices, due to the slightly different iPhone headphone jack configuration.

Wanderlust_Girl

Jul 22, 2019
Visit site
I bought a pair of wireless Anker headphones, which didn't sound as good (naturally being wireless). My opinion is based on comparing the sound between the Eclipse and Galaxy using the same Apple earbuds. I haven't tried the one's that came with the phone but will to see if it makes a difference.

I also noticed when talking on the phone that voices have a more tinny/shrill sound to them and have to turn the volume down. Obviously this phone is tuned differently than the Eclipse, which had a warmer/fuller sound.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I too would recommend using the headphones that came with your phone to see if that makes a difference.

If you really enjoy the S10e otherwise, perhaps exchange it for a new one and see if the sound is improved. It could be that you have a lemon! Keep us posted!

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
So I just picked up the S10e, replacing a J3 Eclipse. Nice speed upgrade, more efficient interface, but I immediately noticed the headphone sound wasn't as good as with my Eclipse (which had no enhancements made to the stock sound).

The highs on the S10e are tinny and shrill, even after adjusting the EQ, using Altos and adapting the sound, which maybe made a slight improvement. I'm using Apple earbuds which have always given the best sound on any device I've used.

Anyone else notice this? Perhaps it's just my device? I could live with it, as it's not terrible or broken, but I use my phone very heavily for music, so I'm leaning towards returning it as I shouldn't be taking a step backwards when it comes to audio.

APPLE EAR BUDS? Hey man, you've got to spend a little bit of cash and get some quality buds. I've got klipsch 8rxi buds. They're fantastic. Of course being a music lover, I also carry my cowon plenue r high res player with me since I got the s10e. Before that, I had the LG V30. You can't beat the sound of LG phones because they have an ESS 32BIT SABRE QUAD DAC built in.

droidmaster1

Aug 18, 2019
Visit site
I bought a s10e about a month ago but I haven't encountered such a sound problem.
My audio is crisp and has high quality sound.
I don't know exactly what your problem may be but it might be your device