Would you recommend the S10e?

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
I currently have the LG V30 that I have had for a year now. Its almost paid off but unfortunately, about two months ago, I cracked the screen. I would love to upgrade to the regular S10 but I really cant see paying 900 dollars for a phone along with almost 200 dollars up front. The s10e is 750 and usually zero down at T-Mobile/Samsung.com. Last Samsung phone I had was the S5 and I loved it. Should I uprade to the S10e? Would you recommend it? The only things that would be negative for me technically from the device I have now are a smaller screen with lower resolution and smaller battery. How is the battery life? That has always been a glaring issue with me with samsung phones.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
The S10e is a brilliant phone, although there are some devices which offer slightly better value for money. However, this is how it stacks up:

Camera: With a 12MP dual aperture (f/2.4 and f/1.5) main camera with OIS and an ultra-wide angle lens, the S10e takes good photos in good and low light. The camera app also has scene optimiser and a night mode to help improve shots. Samsung’s noise reduction algorithms are sometimes over-aggressive, but either way the S10e’s cameras are great and better than the V30’s. The selfie camera is also pretty good, a big step up from the V30’s 5MP unit.

Battery: With a 3100mAh battery, the S10e has enough battery life to last all day (thanks to its smaller and lower-res screen and more efficient processor) but not more than that. So the battery life is solid/competent/adequate but unexceptional.

Display: Samsung displays are known to be the best in the industry. The 5.8 inch FHD dynamic AMOLED has a punch-hole to house the selfie camera and unlike the other S10s the display is flat with slightly thicker bezels. The display is excellent and the lower resolution isn’t something you would notice unless you look extremely close.

Performance: Packing a 7nm Snapdragon 855 with 6GB of RAM, the S10e has more than enough performance even for demanding users. Day-to-day usage and heavy gaming is handled pretty well, although extended periods with the latter may result in the phone warming slightly (and obviously drain the battery more than usual).

Other: The S10e has 2D facial recognition and a more secure (and interesting) side-mounted fingerprint sensor on the power button. Both work well. As usual, the S10e has an IP68 water resistance rating, headphone jack, expandable storage and stereo speakers. 15W Fast charging (both cable and wireless) is present along with Wireless PowerShare.

Hope that helps! :)

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
The S10e is a brilliant phone, although there are some devices which offer slightly better value for money. However, this is how it stacks up:

Camera: With a 12MP dual aperture (f/2.4 and f/1.5) main camera with OIS and an ultra-wide angle lens, the S10e takes good photos in good and low light. The camera app also has scene optimiser and a night mode to help improve shots. Samsung’s noise reduction algorithms are sometimes over-aggressive, but either way the S10e’s cameras are great and better than the V30’s. The selfie camera is also pretty good, a big step up from the V30’s 5MP unit.

Battery: With a 3100mAh battery, the S10e has enough battery life to last all day (thanks to its smaller and lower-res screen and more efficient processor) but not more than that. So the battery life is solid/competent/adequate but unexceptional.

Display: Samsung displays are known to be the best in the industry. The 5.8 inch FHD dynamic AMOLED has a punch-hole to house the selfie camera and unlike the other S10s the display is flat with slightly thicker bezels. The display is excellent and the lower resolution isn’t something you would notice unless you look extremely close.

Performance: Packing a 7nm Snapdragon 855 with 6GB of RAM, the S10e has more than enough performance even for demanding users. Day-to-day usage and heavy gaming is handled pretty well, although extended periods with the latter may result in the phone warming slightly (and obviously drain the battery more than usual).

Other: The S10e has 2D facial recognition and a more secure (and interesting) side-mounted fingerprint sensor on the power button. Both work well. As usual, the S10e has an IP68 water resistance rating, headphone jack, expandable storage and stereo speakers. 15W Fast charging (both cable and wireless) is present along with Wireless PowerShare.

Hope that helps! :)

Wow. Thank you! I do know there other phones out there for better deals, but a lot of them arent IP68 rated and thats a dealbreaker for me. Another thing thats a dealbreaker for me is no expandable memory. Idc how much internal storage a phone has. I need that expandable to take all the pictures I want of my son without having to worry about them being lost or stored to an app.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Wow. Thank you! I do know there other phones out there for better deals, but a lot of them arent IP68 rated and thats a dealbreaker for me. Another thing thats a dealbreaker for me is no expandable memory. Idc how much internal storage a phone has. I need that expandable to take all the pictures I want of my son without having to worry about them being lost or stored to an app.

The S10e has 128GB of standard storage, I believe. That’s enough for most people, but you can always get more storage with microsd (it has expandable storage) up to 512GB (or 400...not sure about the precise number, but I doubt you’ll need that much lol). As for cloud storage you get unlimited FHD cloud storage on Google Photos, plus 15GB on Google Drive and 15GB-5GB on Samsung Cloud (5 for new and 15 for existing).

Water-resistance is also something that I find very handy...being able to use my phone in heavy rain or knowing it’s splash proof is great!

Hope that helped :)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I am actually considering buying the S10e in a little while. It is an excellent phone!

Though the display is smaller and the battery is smaller too (compared to its bigger brothers), the smaller display will assist with the battery lasting longer. I've read that it gets pretty decent battery life - enough to get you through the day, at least.

And with regards to the screen, it's a very impressive display - one of the things Samsung is known for, in my opinion - but it's not the same as the S10/10+. But according to review videos I've watched, such differences aren't very noticeable.

I'd definitely recommend the phone! One of my favourite things about it is that it has a side-mounted fingerprint scanner. Let us know what you decide!

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Def buy the S10e.. I love mine and have the 256GB version with 8GB RAM. I might be biased but I think it's the best phone in Samsung's lineup right now and might be the best phone out period.

Small form factor, large screen, lightning fast, all day battery (for me) and the no gimmick fingerprint reader on the power button...

I'd buy mine again without hesitation or 2nd thought...

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
What everyone is saying here is exactly how I feel about it. The battery life is good enough to get you through the day, the screen and sound are brilliant, speed is more than adequate, camera is more than capable. I have tried the Note 10 and the iPhone 11 at the same time while using the s10e and I gravitate back to the 10e because of its size and brilliance.

I would absolutely recommend it, no question.

Sgooter

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I would definitely recommend the S10e...because my wife absolutely loves hers (Flamingo Pink 256/8). I believe it's the best phone Samsung has made in a long time..maybe ever. If my trusty GS7 craps out, I will instantly buy the S10e.

cache11

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
It is a fantastic phone. I traded mine in for a Note 10, but in the end I ended up with a Note 10+. You won't find a smaller & lighter form factor with that size screen and battery life is really good too. Its actually better than the S10. I had the ultra light and thin Olixar mesh case on it and it was the most comfortable phone I have ever had. There is really nothing that I disliked and there are times that I miss it especially when my N10+ is weighing down my pocket. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it over its two larger siblings. The side mounted finger print sensor is excellent. I am right handed so I held it with my left hand and my left index finger landed perfectly on the sensor each and every time. Samsung should use that sensor on every phone and ditch the in-screen version.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It is a fantastic phone. I traded mine in for a Note 10, but in the end I ended up with a Note 10+. You won't find a smaller & lighter form factor with that size screen and battery life is really good too. Its actually better than the S10. I had the ultra light and thin Olixar mesh case on it and it was the most comfortable phone I have ever had. There is really nothing that I disliked and there are times that I miss it especially when my N10+ is weighing down my pocket. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it over its two larger siblings. The side mounted finger print sensor is excellent. I am right handed so I held it with my left hand and my left index finger landed perfectly on the sensor each and every time. Samsung should use that sensor on every phone and ditch the in-screen version.

Plus, in the review videos I've seen, reviewers would state that the side-mounted fingerprint scanner is faster (in their opinion) than the S10's in-display fingerprint sensor.

flippyfloop

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
It's a great phone but the camera is dissapointing IMO. Samsung’s over processing is pretty awful, no pro mode for video, anything not shot in bright light tends to look pretty bad, wide shots have no detail and look like a painting when only slightly zoomed in. The camera app is a bit of mess & they really need to fix it.
So if camera is your main thing I’d look elsewhere but if you don’t pixel peep like I do, you will probably be happy.
Everything else is good, great screen, micro SD, good fingerprint reader, headphone jack, nice size, smooth performance.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Forget opinions. It is factually quicker and more accurate than the in-display.

Well, I only have opinions to go off of because I myself have yet to test the side-mounted fingerprint scanner... But that's good to know that it is indeed that fast!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It's a great phone but the camera is dissapointing IMO. Samsung’s over processing is pretty awful, no pro mode for video, anything not shot in bright light tends to look pretty bad, wide shots have no detail and look like a painting when only slightly zoomed in. The camera app is a bit of mess & they really need to fix it.
So if camera is your main thing I’d look elsewhere but if you don’t pixel peep like I do, you will probably be happy.
Everything else is good, great screen, micro SD, good fingerprint reader, headphone jack, nice size, smooth performance.

The camera is that disappointing? I've seen some pretty good shots. Have you tried the S10/10 Plus, that has that telephoto lens?

gjh1978

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I actually traded mine in for a Note 10, then sold the Note 10 and went back to the S10e..it's the best device in Samsung's lineup right now IMO.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
The camera is that disappointing? I've seen some pretty good shots. Have you tried the S10/10 Plus, that has that telephoto lens?

The camera setup on the S10e/S10/S10+ is excellent and versatile from pictures I’ve seen taken with it and from reading many reviews. It might not have the AI or optical zoom of the P30 Pro or the processing of the Pixel 3, but if you want natural looking pictures with colours that are still pleasantly vivid along with a highly competent setup with all the features you want in a clean and easy to use app, the S10 devices won’t let you down.

Not sure what problem you have with the camera app, it’s actually pretty decent.

Whenever someone says ‘I’m disappointed’ my first thought is ‘what were your expectations?”

I would say that you’re overly harsh with your criticism. And the comment ‘anything not shot in bright light looks bad’ is laughable.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I try most phones whenever they come out Samsung , pixel, iPhone,
I currently own a iPhone xs , s10, pixel 3, and s10e . In this sized phone the only thing that comes close to being as good as my s10e overall is the pixel 3 . They all have there strong suits but for me the E just wins out for the way I use my phone .
It beats the pixel 3 and iPhone xs easily on battery life . I got 15 hours off charger today with 6.5 hours screen time and 2.5 hours talk time and still had 18% left . The camera takes great pictures , not quite as good as the pixel but close enough.
video is not even close .
Get one you won't regret it .

flippyfloop

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
The camera setup on the S10e/S10/S10+ is excellent and versatile from pictures I’ve seen taken with it and from reading many reviews. It might not have the AI or optical zoom of the P30 Pro or the processing of the Pixel 3, but if you want natural looking pictures with colours that are still pleasantly vivid along with a highly competent setup with all the features you want in a clean and easy to use app, the S10 devices won’t let you down.

Not sure what problem you have with the camera app, it’s actually pretty decent.

Whenever someone says ‘I’m disappointed’ my first thought is ‘what were your expectations?”

I would say that you’re overly harsh with your criticism. And the comment ‘anything not shot in bright light looks bad’ is laughable.

Some of the issues I have with the camera app. Can’t switch HDR mode without going into the settings. Can’t use Tracking auto-focus for photos unless video size is set to 1920x1080, which is mad. Annoying things in Pro Mode like it’s so easy to adjust settings & accidentally tap out side of the slider & lose it. This may not sound like much but it’s become super annoying.
I also find that the camera sometimes has a lot of trouble focusing.

You can say my statement about non-bright light shots looking bad is laughable but it’s the one thing I’ve found to be consistently bad. Just read through the forum post above. I’m not alone here on this as many people have found older phones performing way better in these situations. I’ve had a reasonable amount of daylight through my window & indoor shots still come out looking super noisy.

I’m not say the camera is awful, I’ve taken some great shots outside. I just feel that it should perform better considering the price and the fact that Samsung advertise it as being ‘ Pro ‘ while removing many pro options, there are non in video mode whatsoever!

I bought the phone just before going on holiday. Took lots of pictures that looked good on the phone but when I got home & opened them on my PC I was pretty disappointed by a reasonable percentage of them. It was the inconsistency that I still find baffling.

I do have a Exynos model & seen a few reports that camera performance is worse in this model so maybe that’s got something to do with it ?

I’ve got a Pixel 3a on the way so I’ll see how that works out. I’m guessing I’ll miss all the nice stuff the S10e offers over the 3a apart from the camera and updates.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I try most phones whenever they come out Samsung , pixel, iPhone,
I currently own a iPhone xs , s10, pixel 3, and s10e . In this sized phone the only thing that comes close to being as good as my s10e overall is the pixel 3 . They all have there strong suits but for me the E just wins out for the way I use my phone .
It beats the pixel 3 and iPhone xs easily on battery life . I got 15 hours off charger today with 6.5 hours screen time and 2.5 hours talk time and still had 18% left . The camera takes great pictures , not quite as good as the pixel but close enough.
video is not even close .
Get one you won't regret it .

Wow, that's a great SOT! Glad you are enjoying it!