Every time before saving contacts, it asks me if I want to save to Phone or SIM.

My S10e device has Strong Protection (encryption) enabled, and in addition to this, my SIM card has a SIM PIN code.

I know probably the best way to save contacts is by backing them up or saving them using "Sync Contacts" to a Google account, but these contacts are mostly sensitive, so this method is not an option.

Which one would be safer from a security standpoint? Save to phone or save to SIM?

Thanks in advance!
    10-08-2019 11:08 AM
    Phone, 100%. Especially if you have encrypted your device.
    10-08-2019 01:20 PM
    I'd save them as Google contacts - that's the only way they get backed up. And anyone who can get into Google's database won't. (Very few employees can, and they know better. Plus, they're far too busy doing real work to search around in your backups.)

SIM contacts are a holdover from the turn of the century, when there was no other place to store contacts, not even phone storage. (Early phones had no user-accessible storage.) Phone contacts are a holdover from before we had places like Google Drive and Apple Cloud to store things. Neither one (SIM or Phone) gets backed up to Google. So if you lose the phone, or it gets damaged or stops working, if you saved the contacts as phone storage, you've lost your contacts. SIM cards? They do fail. It's not if, it's when. Google is backed up off-site, from multiple servers, so even if one installation was bombed to rubble, you wouldn't lose your contacts (or anything else backed up to Google.)
    mary beth hale likes this.
    10-08-2019 01:58 PM
    Thanks for the explanation, but I was just wanting to compare saving contacts to Phone or SIM from a security standpoint. That is all I need to know.

Yes, Google account syncing would be the best, but these are sensitive contacts that I will not risk to backup on the cloud.

Just to confirm, as for security, which one would be better to save to? Phone or SIM?
    10-08-2019 11:24 PM