Had to redo fingerprint recognition

isabel95

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Recently my reader hasn't been recognizing my thumbprint so I deleted it and reread it into the phone (Settings/Biometrics and Security). It's working fine now.

I suspect that part of the reason is I take the cover off when I recharge and each time it gets returned it might fit a little differently, changing the way my finger sits on the button.

Doesn't take long at all to redo the reading and if I'm having a problem - usually when my finger isn't totally dry after washing my hands, I can use the pin number.

Loving this phone.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The Pixel reader has sort of the same problem - aside from wet, if your fingers are a bit shriveled from being out in the cold, it doesn't work either. (I drove Google nuts - including 4 replacement phones that also didn't work - until I figured it out and just redid them all.)

Sgooter

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Wife noticed that fingerprint sensor hasn't been working well over the past few days. We attributed the problem to the November update. So, we re-did the fingerprint signature process for her and me. Seems to be working better now.

Ethynil

Dec 5, 2019
Visit site
This phone is my first experience with a fingerprint reader. If the reader fails to read the fingerprint, as has been reported in this thread, how do you override your authentication? Are you given the option to enter your PIN?

Thanks!

Stephen

isabel95

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Yes...you can easily use your pin and about a quarter of the time I do because I didn't place my thumb correctly on the button or my hand is wet - it's finicky. Nice to know my pin will always work.

isabel95

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Forgot to mention that you should use the same pressure on the reader as you used when you were registering your fingerprint and had to keep replacing your finger so all of it was recorded. If you press too hard, or harder than you did when you were registering it, you are distorting the whorls on your finger so it can't be read.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome