Turning off screen

Jims S5

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
I had an adapter for my Lenovo Yoga 900 laptop that allows me to hook up to my tv.

I successfully used same adapter on my S10e but screen stays on.
How can i get it to turn off when using hdmi to tv?

Image%20(1).jpeg

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You can't anymore. The way the OS has been updated to the only way to do screen mirroring is to keep the screen on at all times. When using DeX or Smart View, this automatically dims the screen to a very low level, but the screen is still on.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
What is it you want to display on your TV? Something like a chromecast might be a better solution.

Just a reminder, while Chromecast would work for content that supports it (the Chromecast is actually doing the data connection and stream, not the phone, but it DOES require data connection), even on a Chromecast if you want to MIRROR the device, the screen needs to be on or the mirroring stops when you turn it off.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Just a reminder, while Chromecast would work for content that supports it (the Chromecast is actually doing the data connection and stream, not the phone, but it DOES require data connection), even on a Chromecast if you want to MIRROR the device, the screen needs to be on or the mirroring stops when you turn it off.

It's almost as if there was a reason that the first thing I said was "what is it you want to display on your TV?" and then chose the word "might" rather than "would". Hmm... Strange...

Jims S5

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
I can mirror using Roku. But that requires wifi.....i am full time rving and need data. So my issue is:

Verizon plan has slow hotspot speeds, but connecting directly gets faster speeds....make sense?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's almost as if there was a reason that the first thing I said was "what is it you want to display on your TV?" and then chose the word "might" rather than "would". Hmm... Strange...

Didn't mean that as a jab, just wanted to clarify for the OP :) You were right in asking those questions, which do dictate if a Chromecast (or other dedicated streamer) would be a solution.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I can mirror using Roku. But that requires wifi.....i am full time rving and need data. So my issue is:

Verizon plan has slow hotspot speeds, but connecting directly gets faster speeds....make sense?

Yup, totally. For mirroring, you're using part of the bandwidth of your router to do the video stream, and that's intensive both in data amount AND in processing, which is why, often times, mirroring a device wirelessly results in either choppy images, dropped frames, or delayed audio.

In your case, streaming directly to your phone might look OK but, as you mention, if you were to use a Chromecast or Roku using your hotspot, that speed would be reduced and so would be your video quality.

So if that's your particular case, you would probably be better off with your current set up (wired mirroring), with the caveat that the screen would remain on.

Now, since you own a Samsung, does the HDMI dongle prompt you to use DeX? If not, you might want to look for one that does (they're not expensive, probably 20 bucks?) and that way you can use DeX on your TV but the phone screen either remains off, can be used for something else, or can be used as a mouse for use with DeX. Note that this is only true IF you use DeX and not direct mirroring, AND that not all video apps work correctly on DeX in external monitors/TVs that don't feature proper DRM protection ports.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
praestrudtulle