Hi all,

My i9100 just died on me: turning itself off, going to the boot logo once, turning off, and then never turning on again.

Im gonna try and put the motherboard in another i9100 to confirm its the motherboard. Im wondering, does this mean that whatever was stored on the internal 'SD Card' memory (I also had an 'external SD-Card' in use) is now lost and irrecoverable?

I have taken apart and put together i9100s a couple of times, but I'm not sure: Is the internal memory on the biggest board inside, or on the narrow board running down the right side?

I think I backed up some stuff onto the external sd card, but im not sure yet. Ill see when i get hold of a working i9100 phone.

Thanks for any help.
    01-12-2015 07:13 AM
    does this mean that whatever was stored on the internal 'SD Card' memory (I also had an 'external SD-Card' in use) is now lost and irrecoverable?
    That depends on exactly what's bad on the motherboard and how valuable the data is. If the memory chip that the "internal SD card" is on is still good, and you're willing to pay a recovery service a lot of money, they can connect directly to the chip and read what's on it (and, if it's something findable, like a database or a picture, save it to an SD card). If it's the memory chip that's bad, nothing can be recovered from it. (Well ... not entirely true, but even Bill Gates would have to think twice about spending that kind of money - it involves a lab, a scanning electron microscope, a physicist ... the kind of money you don't borrow from a bank unless you're a bank.) And even if the chip itself is good, you're not going to get the data recovered for the price of a Straight Talk phone.

Don't feel bad. I was absolutely certain I had Maps version 6 backed up. If I did, it's gone. So I know what "thought it was backed up but it isn't" feels like. (I don't make that kind of mistake with important stuff - hard drive in the computer, NAS drive, 2 cloud accounts, one SD card - data backed up on the phone every time it changes [Helium for app data] and at least once a week to everything else. If all of them go at once I'll be having more problems than data - like learning how my wings work [or more likely, how hot the fire is].)
    01-12-2015 10:32 AM
    If I lost all my hard drives Id be finding out where the nearest liquor store is too.

In the i9100, is the memory chip on the motherboard, or the narrower board? Once I know which of the boards went bad by swapping them out one by one, maybe I can get to the SD-Card memory if its not on the bad board.
    01-13-2015 05:27 AM