1. I am singin the GT_I9100 blues's Avatar
    "Clean Master" tells me on its main screen that my Storage is at 8% (3.70GB / 43.18GB
    and RAM is at 84%.

However here is what my S2 tells me about my storage use:

Device memory: Total space 1.97GB, Applications 1.21GB, Available space 400MB

USB storage: Total space 11.50GB, Applications 259MB, Pictures/videos 474MB, Audio(music, ringtones,..) 1.31GB,
    Misc files 80.70MB, Available space 9.61GB

SD card: Total space 29.71GB, Available space 29.48GB

I cannot move anymore downloaded apps into my microSD card's space - even though there are gobs available)
    what is the restriction here? What good was it to get a 32GB microSD card if I can only utilize 5 or 6% of it?
    How can I get up to speed on these sorts of things? I was a hardware/software design and test engineer. It's
    very frustrating not to be able to find the reference materials needed.

Thanks in advance of your help,
    I am singin the GT_I9100 blues
    06-07-2015 07:57 AM
    Welcome to the forums. I am looking over your numbers, and trying to sort everything out. I at least wanted to say hi so that you wouldn't think you were being ignored.
    06-07-2015 08:04 AM
    Ok...had to dig out my S2 to help myself see what is going on.
    what is the restriction here?
    Apps have to be stored on the internal storage of the device. They cannot be completely stored on the SD card as the read write speeds are slower. Some of the data can possibly be moved, but it is up to the app developer. Part of your concern also is this: When Samsung made the S2, for whatever reason they chose to partition the internal storage; rounding off for easier numbers, 2 GB for apps, and 12 GB for general storage. This is where the problem lies. Any more apps you want to download, the OS will say no. You are getting quite close to the storage limit.
    Sorry for the prolonged reply, but the limitation is this exact version of Android. I have seen others at the same OS level where the internal wasn't partitioned. It comes back to the choice Samsung made way back when.

What good was it to get a 32GB microSD card if I can only utilize 5 or 6% of it?
    Since the OS limits what can be stored, system wise, on the phone, the SD card is actually best used for media files (which can typically get quite large). So storing any pictures, videos, and songs would be best stored there.

Now on to the numbers I needed to figure out: CleanMaster is reporting the 1.57 GB on the Phone storage, the 1.89 GB on the internal storage, and the .23 GB on the card for a total of 3.69 GB (1.57+1.89+.23=3.69). CleanMaster reported 3.7 GB used, so without seeing any other kind of data, I can account for most of what CleanMaster sees.

This is what I am not clear on:
    How can I get up to speed on these sorts of things?
    I am not quite sure on what you are referring to.

Hope that helped.
    06-07-2015 08:29 AM