Hello, I have a problem I haven't been able to find any information on.

I'm limping along with an AT&T Galaxy S2 used on a different carrier now. It has a 2gb SD card in it and 12gb of internal storage. I updated the OS fairly recently and I think but am not sure my problem started then.

The problem is that I've started always having the "Storage space running out" warning message and the phone also seems to be running slow. When I go into Memory Usage I see that under the "All" tab it lists all installed apps and then at the bottom says "1.9GB used - 101MB free." (Or some other low number free). Then, when I switch over to "On SD Card" tab, it lists a few random apps, only a handful of the ones I have installed, and at the bottom shows "5.7GB used - 5.7 GB free." (Or some such large % free.)

So, in other words the phone seems to be "confusing" the SD card with the main internal memory. I've never messed around with using the SD card in any such way, or any other shenanigans with the phone's memory. The phone does appear to be slowing down and/or hanging at times, although it's hard to tell whether that's due to running out of memory or just being old. (I'm unclear on whether phones use virtual memory the way PCs do.)

Windows still recognizes the card as a 2gb device and the phone as a 12gb, as does Kies. The OS is fully updated and I can't find any options or commands in it that seem useful to this problem.

So basically I have no idea what caused this problem and what I should do about it or even really what exactly is going on. I haven't tried just removing the card yet because if as much stuff is actually on there as the phone says there is, it seems like doing that could have consequences.

11-19-2015 02:09 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! The phone's internal storage is being partitioned into a smaller App Storage area (where apps are installed--that's the area with 1.9 GB used and 101 MB left), while the "SD card" that you're seeing is most likely a partition of the Internal Storage that acts like a nonremovable "Internal SD." There should be an additional listing for External SD, which would by your 2 GB microSD card.

See this guide for more info: http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...-warnings.html
    11-19-2015 04:32 PM