S20 Ultra to S20+?

AlphaBeepBeep

Apr 17, 2019
Visit site
I love the size of this phone but the camera is terrible. The focus is so bizarre....no matter what I do every shot looks like a portrait shot.

One thing will be in focus and everything else will have a serious blur to it. I've tried tapping to change focus and the camera does a weird "zoom" to refocus, and then it just focuses on the area I tapped on and everything else is severely blurred.

I'm shooting in the default camera mode and it keeps doing a portrait style focus. So annoying.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
We have other threads that discuss the shallow depth of field. I assume you have Ultra. Which lens are you shooting with?

AlphaBeepBeep

Apr 17, 2019
Visit site
We have other threads that discuss the shallow depth of field. I assume you have Ultra. Which lens are you shooting with?

Sorry, and yes I have the ultra. It's the main rear lens when i double press the power button to launch the camera. When in the app, the middle lens (two little tree icon) is selected.

AlphaBeepBeep

Apr 17, 2019
Visit site
So the subject will be 100% in focus but the background is almost completely blurred. Looks like a crappy effect from a free photo editing app. Or really bad portrait mode :(

AlphaBeepBeep

Apr 17, 2019
Visit site
You're probably real close to your subject

Not always unfortunately. It just kind of "hunts" for focus. Either it will eventually find a subject to focus on and destroy the background or it will continue to hunt.

Very rarely will it find focus and make it look like a normal shot. Went back to my note 10+ today and it keeps saying moisture in the charge port. I can't win.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Not always unfortunately. It just kind of "hunts" for focus. Either it will eventually find a subject to focus on and destroy the background or it will continue to hunt.

Very rarely will it find focus and make it look like a normal shot. Went back to my note 10+ today and it keeps saying moisture in the charge port. I can't win.
Mine is not behaving like that so something is wrong somewhere.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I was finally able to sell my S20 Ultra and back to S20+ since that's my preferable size. As I mentioned in other posts Ultra was just too big and heavy for me. Loved the Note 10 size and S20+ is more suited for me. Settled now until smaller Note 20

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I was finally able to sell my S20 Ultra and back to S20+ since that's my preferable size. As I mentioned in other posts Ultra was just too big and heavy for me. Loved the Note 10 size and S20+ is more suited for me. Settled now until smaller Note 20

It's hard to keep track of you....lol

You're going to go with the smallest Note 20?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It's hard to keep track of you....lol

You're going to go with the smallest Note 20?
Yeah that's my preference and hopefully the smaller ones aren't held back that much compared to the bigger ones. Let's see but if everything equal without major difference then will go with smaller one.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I went the other way. Tried both and was convinced I wanted the 20+ and used it for a couple weeks, but missed the Ultra. Went back to the Ultra. It didn't help that I had connectivity issues with the 20+. I think I had a bad one. Rather than exchanging it, I returned it and went back to the Ultra. I had the Aura Blue 20+ from Best Buy -- man that is a good looking color! The Ultra is the right size for me and that screen is awesome! I always go without a case or with a minimal case, so the size of the Ultra doesn't bother me.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I went the other way. Tried both and was convinced I wanted the 20+ and used it for a couple weeks, but missed the Ultra. Went back to the Ultra. It didn't help that I had connectivity issues with the 20+. I think I had a bad one. Rather than exchanging it, I returned it and went back to the Ultra. I had the Aura Blue 20+ from Best Buy -- man that is a good looking color! The Ultra is the right size for me and that screen is awesome! I always go without a case or with a minimal case, so the size of the Ultra doesn't bother me.
I can't go smaller. I just like the big phones.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Same. I love big phones. I don't want to sell my ultra but the camera issues are annoying.

I'm assuming the s20+ doesn't have the issues the ultra has?
Depends on which issues you are referring to.
If you're talking blurry low light pictures of pets and kids with high movement or Samsung smoothy processing nothing changes going with the S20+

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy