05-23-2020 08:55 AM
36 12
tools
    I'm a diehard Samsung girl at heart and don't want to switch. With that being said, I'm continually impressed with iPhone photos vs. Samsung photos and I'm considering switching to iPhone just for the photo quality. How does the 20 compare to iPhone for photo quality, particularly low light photos, true colors, etc.?

Thanks for your input.
    05-17-2020 09:57 PM
    The iphone 11 pro photos are very good
    gnGracie likes this.
    05-17-2020 10:06 PM
    I have both iPhone 11 pro max and S20+ (had Ultra till recently). Both are great camera's but I definitely take pictures/videos more with iPhone 11 pro max than S20. Standalone they both are great but I think iPhone 11 pro series is more consistent and better in various conditions. At the end it may also come down to preference and it may not be that big a difference for you. If someone says you can't use iPhone camera and only have to use S20+ camera I'll still be happy.

Here is a suggestion, why not buy the iPhone 11 pro and try it along side both yourself. If you don't like then return or if you like keep and sell/trade the Ultra?
    gnGracie and Gray Area like this.
    05-17-2020 10:16 PM
    Yes, I had the iPhone 11 Pro Max before getting the S20 ultra and I can tell you the cameras and photos are way better on the iPhone.

The cameras on the Ultra are a cluster and can't be fixed with a software update.

I can't wait for the Note 20 or iPhone 12 so I can jump ship fast.
    gnGracie likes this.
    05-18-2020 08:46 AM
    Oh no, that makes me so sad. Thanks for the warning #felloffthetruck
    05-18-2020 12:30 PM
    Half my family have the 11, so I'll definitely be checking side by side photos if I go with the 20. Thanks for the feedback #bahtech.
    05-18-2020 12:32 PM
    Thank you #mustang7757. Their cameras are good enough that I may have to make the jump, but I really dislike how difficult/proprietary Apple is!
    mustang7757 likes this.
    05-18-2020 12:36 PM
    I had an 11 pro, and now a Galaxy Ultra,

I'll be buying a pre owned 11 Pro as soon as possible and getting rid of the Ultra, its just too inconsistent. We have a 10 month old baby, the 11 pro was always better at moving things, I find the Galaxy rarely captures the shot, and when it does there's the horrid skin smoothing. It should be a great camera in theory.
    gnGracie likes this.
    05-18-2020 02:23 PM
    Thank you #mustang7757. Their cameras are good enough that I may have to make the jump, but I really dislike how difficult/proprietary Apple is!

I'll be buying a pre owned 11 Pro as soon as possible and getting rid of the Ultra, its just too inconsistent. We have a 10 month old baby, the 11 pro was always better at moving things, I find the Galaxy rarely captures the shot, and when it does there's the horrid skin smoothing. It should be a great camera in theory.
    You guys don't have to get away from android completely, Google pixel with there camera is a excellent choice.
    gnGracie likes this.
    05-18-2020 03:46 PM
    You guys don't have to get away from android completely, Google pixel with there camera is a excellent choice.
    I've read very good things about the pixel 4
    mustang7757 and gnGracie like this.
    05-18-2020 03:59 PM
    I've read very good things about the pixel 4
    Yes, I also have the pixel 4xl , very good phone and camera i still think number one .
    Gray Area, gnGracie and bhatech like this.
    05-18-2020 04:53 PM
    The bulk of my pictures are my dog and grandbabies, so I hear you on the moving things and I take a lot inside, so quality low light pictures are a must.

05-18-2020 08:45 PM
    The Pixel keeps showing up in my searches. Do you like the camera better than iPhone's camera, or just the phone overall? Does it take nice, sharp pictures with true to what your eyes see colors?
    Morty2264 and mustang7757 like this.
    05-18-2020 08:48 PM
    The Pixel keeps showing up in my searches. Do you like the camera better than iPhone's camera, or just the phone overall? Does it take nice, sharp pictures with true to what your eyes see colors?
    Pixel camera is the best in the business in my opinion in all lighting conditions, but video lacking compared to iPhone, so if you need both videos and pictures then iPhone, just pictures then pixel .
    gnGracie and Gray Area like this.
    05-18-2020 08:50 PM
    Pixel camera is the best in the business in my opinion in all lighting conditions, but video lacking compared to iPhone, so if you need both videos and pictures then iPhone, just pictures then pixel .
    That's very helpful. Thanks so much!
    mustang7757 likes this.
    05-18-2020 08:51 PM
    That's very helpful. Thanks so much!
    Your welcome
    gnGracie likes this.
    05-18-2020 08:53 PM
    The bulk of my pictures are my dog and grandbabies, so I hear you on the moving things and I take a lot inside, so quality low light pictures are a must.
    I do love the detailed photos in 108 mode though when it does get the shot. I found with the 11 Pro as soon as you take the shot, you could pukd be guaranteed that it would get it, where as on the ultra I'm never sure, so take a few more just incase!

On a side note, the one thing I would miss is the Ultras amazing screen, and 120hz refresh rate, using a 60hz now is noticeable.
    gnGracie likes this.
    05-19-2020 06:41 AM
    I too agree that the Pixel is one of the best cameras on the market and *the* best, IMO, if you are strictly limiting your search to Android devices.

My Google Pixel 2's photos rival my S10 ones - not that my S10 takes bad photos, though, it's just that I find that Pixel phones do well with things like moving subjects. My cat is my constant photographing subject and sometimes my S10 has trouble keeping up with the movement.

Let us know what you decide! Also, check out the "Pixel 4 Photos" thread here at Android Central to see some really neat pictures!
    gnGracie likes this.
    05-19-2020 08:25 AM
    battery life is kind of bad on the pixel 4. I'd go with the s20+ or iPhone 11.
    gnGracie likes this.
    05-20-2020 01:54 PM
    battery life is kind of bad on the pixel 4. I'd go with the s20+ or iPhone 11.
    Thank you. I think I've almost decided to make the jump. I'm hoping one day Samsung cameras will be the same or higher quality than iPhone so I can make the switch back.
    kryan424 likes this.
    05-20-2020 03:08 PM
    I too agree that the Pixel is one of the best cameras on the market and *the* best, IMO, if you are strictly limiting your search to Android devices.

My Google Pixel 2's photos rival my S10 ones - not that my S10 takes bad photos, though, it's just that I find that Pixel phones do well with things like moving subjects. My cat is my constant photographing subject and sometimes my S10 has trouble keeping up with the movement.

Let us know what you decide! Also, check out the "Pixel 4 Photos" thread here at Android Central to see some really neat pictures!
    Moving subjects (my dog and grandbabies) are the bulk of my photos as well. I've just about decided to go with the iPhone, as much as it pains me. Their camera and video quality make it hard to not jump ship.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    05-20-2020 03:10 PM

I'm really disappointed that Samsung hasn't really gone all out for photo/video quality to rival iPhone. That skin smoothing effect is for the birds. I want NATURAL pictures in sharp focus
    05-20-2020 03:12 PM
    I'm really disappointed that Samsung hasn't really gone all out for photo/video quality to rival iPhone. That skin smoothing effect is for the birds. I want NATURAL pictures in sharp focus
    I agree there! My girlfriend has the IPhone XR, even that gets more realistic and more detail in skin.
    gnGracie likes this.
    05-21-2020 08:37 AM
    Only Huawei offers anything as good as the Pixel in the Android space IMO.

Based on what I have used the current camera heirarchy is something like the following I think:

1 - iPhone 11(all), P40 Pro, Mate 30 Pro, Pixel 4 (in no particular order)
    2 - P30 Pro, Pixel 3/3a
    3 - OnePlus 8 Pro (not used them yet but I'd guess the MI 10 pro and Oppo Find X would slot in here too)
    4 - Mate 20 Pro
    5 - iPhone Xs/XR/SE2
    6 - S20s, OnePlus 7/7t/Pro
    7 - S10s, Note 10

Below that you have probably got LG and then the mid-rangers. YMMV but if camera is your #1 priority I'd probably look elsewhere, I have an Ultra and am just about happy as I have found a GCAM 6.2 port that actually works on exynos. If all I had was the stock app I would have sold it by now. If camera is not your #1 then the S20 Ultra and plus (Not tried the small one) are really nice all round devices.

The hope is of course that Samsung finally realises after a couple of years that people would actually prefer it if they kept people un-smudged and anything moving in the shot sharp rather than blurry. AF aside the hardware is clearly every bit as good as the rest, maybe even better so there could be hope!
    gnGracie likes this.
    05-21-2020 08:53 AM
    They are trying and thinking outside of the box. But this is not easy to make perfect in all areas. Probably the most frustrating thing is they were really good around the Note 5 days and my photos came out looking so good more often than not. I don't know what they did to fall behind others. They are not bad, but have clear limitations and hopefully they figure it out soon. I have my 11 Pro Max and it's good, but the phone just leaves me feeling blah...
    gnGracie likes this.
    05-21-2020 09:13 AM
36 12