Current iPhone 11 Pro Max user interested in breaking out of the walled garden

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
About a year ago, I tried to break free from the walled garden of Apple and purchased a S10+ with a Galaxy smartwatch. The experience was somewhat frustrating and I was wondering how much was improved with the current model.

With the S10+, it would open random apps and in some cases, I would have accidental swipes. This was after I placed the phone face down in my pocket with the front facing inwards as well as disabling accidental swipes.

Frequent disconnections with the watch which I presume are on the watch side. It was a Samsung 46mm smartwatch.

Since most people I know are on IOS, the messages in Textra would come through out of order. I presume that is an issue that I will have to deal with and that is a carrier issue.

Have any of these issues been resolved?

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I have the S!0+ and I don't have any of the issues you mentioned. There is accidental touch protection built in the you can turn on. Also it has been upgraded to OneUI 2.1 so the cameras are better. I think those issues have been ironed out in the S20 series as well.

patfenis

May 21, 2020
Visit site
I've been using iPhone for years but always enjoyed android. Anytime I shy away from iPhone I go with a OnePlus. I used to be a huge fan of the note series when it first came out. I always end up crawling back to iPhone though. To be honest I got a s20 and couldn't be happier. I'm looking to never to go back to Android. Plus with Samsung and the Google messages app RCS messaging is rolling out and it's like imessage between Android's. Pretty sweet. Only thing I'll miss from the iPhone 11 pro honestly is the camera and battery life. The s20 is an amazing device though!

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I sold my pro max for the s20 ultra. Both great devices. Both have strengths and weaknesses. I enjoy the extra screen real-estate and vivid colors on the Samsung. Also android offers better flexibility for Bluetooth music codecs and other lossless music files which is important to me. The pro max is smoother, more predictable and stable and has better battery life but also is a bit boring. I do miss imessage and FaceTime. If you're looking to switch things up you can't go wrong. The Samsung gives up very little to Apple and excels in other areas. I was actually thinking of grabbing a new iPhone se to get my apple fix and just switch Sims as needed.

Notefan161

Jan 9, 2019
Visit site
If you had issues with the S10 i doubt you will be any happier now to be honest.

Maybe if you can try running with both in the short term and make a decision. Best of both worlds is the best route but i know this isn’t realistic for most people.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the all the tips. Today I went out and purchased the S20+. So far so good. I am pretty impressed with all that it has to offer.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Enjoy your new phone!!! Under settings, display, there is a setting called accidental touch protection. That may help with one of your annoyances.
I have the S9+, and a Sammy Gears S3 watch, and they work great.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the all the tips. Today I went out and purchased the S20+. So far so good. I am pretty impressed with all that it has to offer.

Make sure to update us with your thoughts after a few days. Would love to hear how you’re liking or even disliking it.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
About a year ago, I tried to break free from the walled garden of Apple and purchased a S10+ with a Galaxy smartwatch. The experience was somewhat frustrating and I was wondering how much was improved with the current model.

With the S10+, it would open random apps and in some cases, I would have accidental swipes. This was after I placed the phone face down in my pocket with the front facing inwards as well as disabling accidental swipes.

Frequent disconnections with the watch which I presume are on the watch side. It was a Samsung 46mm smartwatch.

Since most people I know are on IOS, the messages in Textra would come through out of order. I presume that is an issue that I will have to deal with and that is a carrier issue.

Have any of these issues been resolved?

I go back and forth between my XS Max and Note, and sometimes carry both at the same time. I can honestly say I prefer the Note all day long.

The watch disconnection thing hasn't been fixed however. I have an Apple Watch Series 5 paired with my XS Max, and either my S3 Frontier or Watch Active 2 paired with my Note. The Apple Watch doesn't have any of the connection issues the Samsung watch/phone pairing do. I mean I lose connection going from my bedroom to my kitchen on the Samsung side. I can make it all the way to my mailbox with the Apple combo and never lose connection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22