What's your average battery drain per hour when idle?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
No, I agree. The thing is that all reviews say this phone has "all day battery", taking it off the charger in the morning and plugging late in the evening with no problems. I've also seen folks post themselves getting 8-10 of SoT. So when those are the things that are being mentioned about battery life, then I think I just get a little anxious when I'm only seeing 6 hours of (projected) SoT. When I say projected, it's because I charge at 30 and unplug at 80, meaning I'm technically only using 50% of the full potential of the battery. In that time, I was getting a consistent 3 hours of SoT, with that time being split evenly between chrome and YouTube, with some comic book reading sprinkled in there.

It's hard to say if that's actually 50 percent as I'm not convinced the charge indications are perfectly linear. I charge to 100 and try not to go below 40. I usually work in an office so I don't mind topping off and battery life is mostly a non-issue for me.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Here's my attempt at a complete list of battery saving tips. A lot of these apply to any Android phone, but some are only for the Samsungs:

-If you're not using Bluetooth, turn it off.

-If cellular signal is weak, try to connect to a Wi-Fi network if possible.

-If cell signal is fine but the Wi-Fi network is weak or keeps on dropping, it's better to turn off Wi-Fi and keep the phone on cellular.

-In "Connections" and then "Data usage", turn on "Data saver" and just allow the essential apps to have background data access such as WhatsApp, SMS, e-mails, the weather app (for the widget) etc. I would restrict the Facebook app for example.

-If you have the option to, reduce the screen resolution to FHD.

-Keep screen brightness at around 50% when possible. Samsung displays are naturally very bright so it's easy to do.

-Set the screen timeout to be 15 or 30 seconds at the most.

-Enable "Medium power saving" mode and leave it on all the time.
-Disable Always-On display. This should automatically happen when you enable the "Medium power saving" mode.

-Enable dark mode at night (better for the eyes anyway).

-In "Accounts and backup", go to "Accounts" and then in the Google one, disable the things you don't need to have synced. I would keep Contacts, Calendar, Notes and Gmail syncing.

-If you're using Google to back up your data, turn off Samsung's backup service so you don't have both constantly syncing in the background.

-In the "Privacy" settings, disable "Send diagnostic data". In that menu, also disable "Customization Service".

-Go into the "Location" settings and then "Improve accuracy" and make sure that "Wi-Fi/Bluetooth scanning when off" are both off.

-While you're in there, disable "Google Location History" and "Google Location Sharing". Unfortunately you can't really get away with disabling "Google Location Accuracy" because it's needed to get accurate location when navigating with GPS.

-Also go into Location permissions and make sure no apps have access to it that don't really need it. For most of the others, only allow the use of location when the app is in use. Honestly, most apps don't really need your location. I'd leave it for navigation apps like G Maps, Waze, etc.

-In the "Connections" settings, go to "More connection settings" and disable "Nearby device scanning".

-If you like to leave your phone on vibrate most of the time, set a lower vibration intensity for the notifications. If it's vibrating all day multiple times per minute, it can make a difference.
If you prefer to leave the strong vibration, you could also individually set certain apps not to vibrate.

-Disable vibration for "Touch interactions". Leave it on for the keyboard if like me, you much prefer the typing experience with the haptic feedback. Setting the vibration strength to something like 10ms would be a decent balance between power efficiency and good feedback.

-In the battery settings of "Device Care", turn off "Fast charging" and "Fast wireless charging". This would help preserve the battery in the long run.

-In that same menu, go into "App power management" and enable "Adaptive battery" as well as "Put unused apps to sleep".

-You can also manually add apps to "Sleeping apps" and even "Deep sleeping apps". Not sure what the difference is between those two, but only add apps that you don't ever need to have them notify you of anything.
Don't add apps such as e-mail, SMS, or WhatsApp which are basic communication essentials.

-If you don't use things like "Ok Google", just disable that Google app

-Disable the Google apps that you don't need. Do not disable "Google Play Services" or "Google Play Store" of course.

-Same goes for Samsung's pre-loaded apps. If you're not using them, disable/uninstall them if possible, or at least restrict background usage of them and then "Force stop" them.

-If you don't care for custom Samsung themes, don't even login to your Samsung account on the device.
You'll still have essential functions like "Find my Device" by Google since you'll be logged in to your Google account, as with any Android device.

-If you don't care for anything Bixby related, aside from disabling/force stopping as noted above, go into the "Advanced features" and disable "Bixby Routines".

-In "Motions and gestures", disable "Lift to wake" and "Smart stay".

-In the "Apps" settings menu, hit the three dots on the top right and go to "Special access". Then go to "Usage data access" and disable "allow usage tracking" for the "Digital Wellbeing and parental controls" app, as well as for "Bixby Routines" and "Bixby Voice".

-No need to force close apps all the time if you know you're gonna be using them again shortly. The S10 phones have 6GB or 8GB of RAM which is plenty enough to keep several apps in memory.
Having an app reload itself constantly could use more power than leaving it in memory.

-This last one isn't so much for battery life as it is for speed, but enable the developer options by going into "About phone" > "Software information" and hitting the "Build number" about 8 times. Then back out into the main settings menu and go into the developer options and scroll down to the three "animation" toggles which will be set to 1x by default, and reduce all three of them to 0.5x.

-Lastly, avoid using battery intensive apps if you don't need to.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
So, I turned off Bluetooth last night... And had the same issue. Haha.

But it is okay. My phone's battery gets me through the workday just fine. It's just standby time that's a little weird!
Is "Bluetooth scanning when off" deactivated in the "Location" settings?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't normally disable anything and run my device the way it was meant to be run on high performance mode. I might turn off Bluetooth and certain things if I'm not using them but that's about it.

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't normally disable anything and run my device the way it was meant to be run on high performance mode. I might turn off Bluetooth and certain things if I'm not using them but that's about it.

Yeah, I'm the same way. I paid (am paying for) an S20 Ultra, so I'm not going to turn it into an A series phone just to conserve battery.

So far, turning off Bluetooth has dropped me to 1% per hour ideal battery drain, which is enough for me. I still have high performance mode on, along with AoD, 120hz, 60-70% brightness, along with WiFi always on.

The thing I try to do though is turn off most app notifications, and make sure that only the essential apps can run in the background. I also have a black AMOLED wallpaper and try to keep my widgets down to the essential.

In the end, while I know how trivial battery life is when I'm home all day, I just like feeling like I'm getting the battery life advertised...unlike the camera.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
The only reason Bluetooth was always connected was for my Mi Band 4, for the notifications. Besides that, having it in just let me auto connect with my car.

That was kind of convenient, but I don't know if it's worth that amount of idle battery drain.

1% an hour overnight is still a notable drain.

Not using the s20, but I had a similar problem on another phone. I put it in airplane mode overnight. I turned it on in the morning. Problem fixed.

bxrider117

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I have the Snapdragon S20. My phone will drop about 4% drain over 7 to 8 hours. My battery life has been good for me. I use the medium power hack through bixby routine that always phone to use medium battery power and still run 120hz screen. This consistently gives me 5 to 7 hours of screen on time.

Soupsetwiths20

Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
I bought mine when it first come out, before cuz i had to waitlist...doesn't perform like it should. Battery only last about 6 hours. Only texting, little tik tok, wifi on, Bluetooth on for smart watch just during the day. Upload speed very slow (Verizon fault maybe?) Videos very very blury when sent in message. Only reason I picked this phone was for speed and camera quality and battery life and neither is as says.

bibhab

Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
I am using s20 ultra exynos version, for me idle battery at night during night 12 am to morning 8 am is nearly 5% ie., 95% ftom 100%. Is it too much or fine. I use 120 hz with wifi or mobile data open.

Idle time at night from 10:30 pm to 6:30 am, go from 99-100% to 93-95% on an average night.

S20 Ultra

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Went from 80% to 40% in a little under 5 hours, with only 1 hour 18 minutes of screen on time. I spent 20 minutes taking photos and shooting some videos, but damn, does the camera eat THAT much battery?! Geez, how do you use this phone all day when the camera eats so much battery?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200606-163237_AccuBattery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200606-163237_AccuBattery.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20200606-163416_AccuBattery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200606-163416_AccuBattery.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20200606-163429_AccuBattery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200606-163429_AccuBattery.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20200606-163450_AccuBattery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200606-163450_AccuBattery.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 15

younger996

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I find the issue is with the standby time....... I think the battery performs well when the phone is being used (if that makes sense)
Mine is the 12gb/128gb Exynos version.
bf8204b3802ebe9ef3faef8b2d57f4b0.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan