Help please! Getting REALLY crappy photos on Ultra!

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Not to the extent of the issues with the autofocus but people expect Pixel like results.

I would expect a $1600 anything to outperform a $500 anything across the board. Not only that, but I would expect it to dominate it, then proceed to go to it's house, and proceed to flirt with it's spouse.

I know that's unrealistic (because phones don't get married), but I think that's where a lot of the disappointment comes from. The device costs twice as much as almost everything else, but doesn't perform twice as well as everything else.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I would expect a $1600 anything to outperform a $500 anything across the board. Not only that, but I would expect it to dominate it, then proceed to go to it's house, and proceed to flirt with it's spouse.

I know that's unrealistic (because phones don't get married), but I think that's where a lot of the disappointment comes from. The device costs twice as much as almost everything else, but doesn't perform twice as well as everything else.
I was responding to @throttlejohnny about the S20+.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Which with discounts you can purchase for $799. Hardly 1600.00 lol
Where does it cost $799? Trade in isn't a discount. I'm a giving in a phone which has value and paid money for that. So it isn't a discount if you are considering trade in. Exactly what phone manufactures and carriers want to think, trade in as discount

PS: I don't have complaints about the phone or it's price personally. But the max discount I have seen on them is $200 off on S20 and S20+ most of the times. Sure the crappy carriers may have additional discount here and there. But in general haven't seen discounts for unlocked or carrier where the price of Ultra is $799.

Last edited:

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Where does it cost $799? Trade in isn't a discount. I'm a giving in a phone which has value and paid money for that. So it isn't a discount if you are considering trade in. Exactly what phone manufactures and carriers want to think, trade in as discount

PS: I don't have complaints about the phone or it's price personally. But the max discount I have seen on them is $200 off on S20 and S20+ most of the times. Sure the crappy carriers may have additional discount here and there. But in general haven't seen discounts for unlocked or carrier where the price of Ultra is $799.

I don't consider trading in a device still worth hundreds on the used market as a discount either, it's convenient for those who don't want to deal with selling their device but it's not money saved.

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Which with discounts you can purchase for $799. Hardly 1600.00 lol

Actually, straight up, no trade-in, Samsung has valued and priced their phone that high... And that's before taxes and carrier fees.

I know you knew all this, but still, I thought I'd point it out, because not everyone is able to utilize all the discounts and promos being offered.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Actually, straight up, no trade-in, Samsung has valued and priced their phone that high... And that's before taxes and carrier fees.

I know you knew all this, but still, I thought I'd point it out, because not everyone is able to utilize all the discounts and promos being offered.

Honestly, if you are willing to shop around, there are deals for just about everyone out there. Anyone paying full retail for any of these devices in June, is pretty much blind.

Early adopters knew what they were getting into, as there were plenty of other options and they chose to splurg. Nothing wrong with that.

Worth is subjective anyway.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

Yes and no. Trading in my S10e for the upgraded S20 plus and thereby saving $400 on a phone I was going to buy anyway, is a discount. It's a mutually beneficial deal.

It would be one thing if I was still interested in continuing to use my S10e, but battery issues makes the upgrade a no brainer.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes and no. Trading in my regular S10 for the upgraded S20 plus and thereby saving $500 on a phone I was going to buy anyway, is a discount. It's a mutually beneficial deal.
Agree to disagree, I don't see it as discount. Even though I got $700 for Note 10 trade in. It's not like some one handed me the note 10 for free that I'm giving to Samsung and they are giving me $700. I paid for the Note 10 so as few others have commented I'm happy that they are giving good trade in value and it's more of a convenience than me selling it myself. There isn't any monetary benefit other than ease of transaction.

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, if you are willing to shop around, there are deals for just about everyone out there. Anyone paying full retail for any of these devices in June, is pretty much blind.

Early adopters knew what they were getting into, as there were plenty of other options and they chose to splurg. Nothing wrong with that.

Worth is subjective anyway.

You're absolutely right, but let me just say that a lot of the incentives hinged on trading in a device, and for some folks, that either was not an option due to not having a device, or because they might have been jumping from a device that either didn't get full credit, or so little credit that it didn't make sense to trade it in.

As for early adopters, i don't think we fully knew because all the reviews were relatively glowing, or specific situations weren't tested to give you enough information until after the fact, when you had already traded in your device, signed up for rebates, and were already stuck. That's just how it is, and that's why there's a review embargo on all devices...because sometimes, companies don't want you to know about the flaws until you already have the device yourself.

And you're right, worth is subjective. What everyone can expect to come attached with a specific pricetag is relative, but that argument for relativity can't make shortcomings acceptable because it's "still a good phone for some people". At some point, the premium you charge should come with a premium product. No one is expecting perfection, but less flaws out the gate would have been nice.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Agree to disagree, I don't see it as discount. Even though I got $700 for Note 10 trade in. It's not like some one handed me the note 10 for free that I'm giving to Samsung and they are giving me $700. I paid for the Note 10 so as few others have commented I'm happy that they are giving good trade in value and it's more of a convenience than me selling it myself. There isn't any monetary benefit other than ease of transaction.

No problem. For me, the money I paid for the S10 is gone, regardless. I use my IPhone 11 90 percent of the time due to the superior battery, so I'm no longer getting value out of the S10, although I liked the phone for over a year. I planned on buying the S20 plus at some point, and now I am paying $799 for it.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
You're absolutely right, but let me just say that a lot of the incentives hinged on trading in a device, and for some folks, that either was not an option due to not having a device, or because they might have been jumping from a device that either didn't get full credit, or so little credit that it didn't make sense to trade it in.

As for early adopters, i don't think we fully knew because all the reviews were relatively glowing, or specific situations weren't tested to give you enough information until after the fact, when you had already traded in your device, signed up for rebates, and were already stuck. That's just how it is, and that's why there's a review embargo on all devices...because sometimes, companies don't want you to know about the flaws until you already have the device yourself.

And you're right, worth is subjective. What everyone can expect to come attached with a specific pricetag is relative, but that argument for relativity can't make shortcomings acceptable because it's "still a good phone for some people". At some point, the premium you charge should come with a premium product. No one is expecting perfection, but less flaws out the gate would have been nice.

Well I will say this, in my opinion even if Samsung had delivered on every front with the Ultra and absolutely demolished every camera ever made, there is no phone in existence worth that much money, not full retail anyway. Sansung needs to find a way to bring their pricing down.

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Well I will say this, in my opinion even if Samsung had delivered on every front with the Ultra, there is no phone in existence worth that much money. Sansung needs to find a way to bring their pricing down.

We're on the same page then. Agree 100%. Especially with the speed at which technology advances and how quickly things can seem out of date or become unsupported. I mean, the S20 series is only scheduled for 2 versions of android. Planned obsolescence, it's just not right.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't consider trading in a device still worth hundreds on the used market as a discount either, it's convenient for those who don't want to deal with selling their device but it's not money saved.
Usually the trade-in during Ssung pre-order is decent and in some cases higher than you can sell it for so even though it's not a discount it can be worthwhile.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It depends on the device you are trading in. When I bought the Note 10+ they were giving 600 dollars for the Pixel 3 and 3XL. I had the 3XL but 600 was more than you could sell either device for. It's not a discount but it can be an awesome deal. The people who make out the best is those who buy the low end versions to trade or those who work the system by buying a used device cheap to trade in.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It depends on the device you are trading in. When I bought the Note 10+ they were giving 600 dollars for the Pixel 3 and 3XL. I had the 3XL but 600 was more than you could sell either device for. It's not a discount but it can be an awesome deal. The people who make out the best is those who buy the low end versions to trade.

No one is disagreeing on advantages of trade in. But no trade in deal is making the ultra $799 in value was my point. Sure if I get $200 more trade in value from Samsung for a phone than what I could sell for then it directly translates to discount along with the ease of transaction. But the entire trade in value isn't a discount.

I have personally taken advantage of Samsung trade in various times by buying a two year old phone for $300 or $350 and traded in for $600. So the discount isn't $600 it's $250-$300 since I got to subtract the cost of the phone I traded in.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm not disagreeing on advantages of trade in and I personally have taken advantage of higher trade in values. But no trade in deal is making the ultra $799 in value was my point. Sure if I get $200 more trade in value from Samsung for a phone than what I could sell for then it directly translates to discount along with the ease of transaction. But the entire trade in value isn't a discount.
Of course, there is no way to get it for 799, not even the base Ultra.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX