Note 10+ to S20 Ultra planning, is this a good move?

rocktauber

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I am picking up my Ultra Tomorrow and am a little nervous. I am not waiting for the Note 20 because I found I never used the S Pen much at all.

After reading a bunch of Posts Here, and watching some Videos, I am thinking I might want to hold off.

Any Ultra or Note10+ Users with any thoughts are welcome.

The Ultra is a Big Ticket Item and I'm thinking I might not be getting what I am paying for.

Thanks in advance Community.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Note 10+ to S20 Ultra

I am picking up my Ultra Tomorrow and am a little nervous. I am not waiting for the Note 20 because I found I never used the S Pen much at all.

After reading a bunch of Posts Here, and watching some Videos, I am thinking I might want to hold off.

The Ultra is a Big Ticket Item and I'm thinking I might not be getting what I am paying for.

The Ultra device as a whole is great. The camera is ok and has a bit of a learning curve.

Peter Scooze

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site

I like my ultra and think its a great device but at this point i would wait 2 months to see what the note brings. Especially with the display and finger print upgrades.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I love my Ultra but if you are on the fence I say avoid it especially if you like cameras but are more of an auto shooter. I will be buying the big Note 20 an keeping my Ultra till the S21 but I don't expect most people do that.

Angmoe

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I've always had the Notes, the last being the 9 and while I think the Ultra is a great phone there is a good chance I'll be switching to the Note 20. I do miss the pen even though I only occasionally used it and the fps on the Ultra is frustratingly finicky...I would wait...IMHO

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Having both, as I've found over the past two months, is the best of both worlds. Still have an S-Pen plus the modestly bumped-up everything contained in the Ultra. I didn't plan it this way but it's turned out to be a happy accident. The Note20 Plus/Ultra/Xtreme might obviate my dynamic duo but there is some benefit for having two phones especially when they both have a zoom mic.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't own either of the phones you mentioned but... All depends what you are looking for in a phone.

You take a lot of pics and want a good camera? I'd wait two months to see what the Note 20 will bring.

The Ultra camera is not that impressive for a 2020 phone. People will still say a 2019 Pixel or iPhone 11 Pro outshoots it so why spend $1400 on it? They have pushed a LOT of updates for the camera and people say it's better, but "you have to know it's limitations" and "work around it." That's OK for many here since they have multiple phones or switch out every year. But for schmucks like me that has held on to a Note 8 for the last three years... do I really want that kind of camera for two...three years?

If the camera really is important then the Note 20 camera I have a hunch the updated system will do a better job of "changing photography" than the Ultra did.

You want a great screen?? The Note 20 will have the 120hz at Quad HD and manage refresh rate to optimize battery so the 4500mah battery may be offset.

Other tech? Second gen FPS... that alone would make many wait another two months to check out the new phone.

But if you want a powerful, high spec, big screen phone that does everything well... and you can get a good deal on it (don't pay full price. That I will say, IMO, I don't think it's worth $1400)... you'll probably be happy with the Ultra. But unless your current phone is giving ya troubles... what's two months??

Good luck.

Last edited:

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Can't comment as have not owned a S20U yet. But the answer is always note.
Just waiting on them perfecting February's software and hw is worth it.
It's always more polished these days.

The S20U looks fantastic though.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The Ultra is fantastic and its impossible to appreciate its zoom capabilities until you actually have one in hand and head for the outdoors. The Note 20 Plus/Ultra should also be fantastic, however anyone who's expecting it to be on par with Pixel or iPhone as an indoor autoshooter is going to be met with disappointment. It's not going to change photography either but its going to be one hell of a device.

Last edited:

TechBob

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I preordered the S20 Ultra, coming from a Note 10+5G. Kept it for at most a week and returned it. Still have the Note 10+5G. Why? Way too thick, too heavy. Felt like carrying a brick. The Note 10+5G is a much easier to use device.

With that said, just today I received a S20 Plus 5G. A very little bit narrower than the Note 10+, but not very and otherwise similar in size. I never use the S-Pen. More comfortable than the Note 10+5G to hold, should have better battery life and support the full range of 5G frequencies that my current phone does not. Unfortunately, because 5G takes so much space inside the phone, rumors are that the Note 20 will have a smaller battery than the S20 Plus. I don't want an Ultra sized Note 20, so I think for me, the S20 Plus may be the sweet spot.

Negan_n_Lucille

Aug 26, 2018
Visit site
Honestly, I'd wait for the Note 20. I had the Note 10+, currently have the iPhone 11 Pro Max and the S20 ultra. Unless you have to have that high refresh rate display, new camera system (I only use up to 10x zoom to maintain quality in daylight), I'd hold off a few more months.

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I went for the s20 Ultra because:

1. I just never use the S pen
2. Note 20 likely more expensive than the s20 ultra
3. I honestly don't see any diffence between fhd and qhd on the ultra
4. Bigger battery in ultra
5. Fps seems improved on ultra than note 10+ even with the screen protector
6. Not a big camera person

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
you dont have to be a pen user to like the note.
You probably don't even know how to use the pen.
The pen is a learning phase to learn all about what it will do.
There are probably a lot of things phones will do that you don't use or know how to use.

So why buy the s20.
You don't use all the functions on it.

How many note phones have you owned.

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
you dont have to be a pen user to like the note.
You probably don't even know how to use the pen.
The pen is a learning phase to learn all about what it will do.
There are probably a lot of things phones will do that you don't use or know how to use.

So why buy the s20.
You don't use all the functions on it.

How many note phones have you owned.

3 notes none of which I found the pen useful for. The hardware defines the phone and adds cost. Its not like an unused software feature.

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Only regret with the S is the quad and 120 but as mentioned I can't see the fhd difference compared to qhd. Interested to see how the note handles this on the smaller battery. I assume some kind of throttling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49