Day old S20 already showing battery degradation?

I_didnt_do_it

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
I ordered this phone unlocked through wal mart on Wednesday and got it yesterday around 2pm. Yet it appears it already has battery degradation. Did I get a faulty unit?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200619-100014_Battery Health.jpg
    Screenshot_20200619-100014_Battery Health.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 69

missy8787

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
That looks normal to me give it a few days keep an eye on the battery. Usually takes about a week for the battery to adapt to your habits with the phone

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
day old phone means more usage getting things set up, playing with it to learn it and more, of course battery will not last long. once usage settles down, unless you are running power hungry apps, you should see better results.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It's normal for Li-ion batteries to have less than advertised capacity even when brand new. Even if we assume it had the advertised capacity at time of production, there's a lot of variables involved that could cause degradation between then and when you take delivery of the phone. 93% is about average, I think.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
A brand new phone should NOT have 7% battery degradation right out of the box. I'd exchange it or return it.
As I said in my reply above, this is common for Li-ion batteries (phone or otherwise). You could exchange it numerous times and never get one right at 100% rated capacity. From https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Although a battery should deliver 100 percent capacity during the first year of service, it is common to see lower than specified capacities, and shelf life may contribute to this loss. In addition, manufacturers tend to overrate their batteries, knowing that very few users will do spot-checks and complain if low. Not having to match single cells in mobile phones and tablets, as is required in multi-cell packs, opens the floodgates for a much broader performance acceptance. Cells with lower capacities may slip through cracks without the consumer knowing.

In their table 1 (where they tested cycle related capacity loss), they tested 11 batteries and all started between 88-94% rated capacity. Starting at 93% would actually be on the high side of that range.