As an S20 owner, how you feel about iOS 14 features?

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Not about the S20, but seeing that a lot of you are Apple lovers I thought this would be an appropriate discussion. What do you guys think of Apple adding picture in picture, sizeable widgets on the home screen and now an app draw to their iOS? Do will consider this innovation or just bringing up options that should already be present on a flagship device?

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: iOS 14

It's definitely not innovation to add features that have existed in competing devices for nearly a decade. It's more like about time.

Either way iOS doesn't interest me, no desire to leave Android.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

I'm loving the direction Apple is headed in, especially in terms of security and battery tech in their devices. I'm looking forward to iOS 14.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

Where I find iPhone interesting is features outside the iPhone... If I had a iPhone I wouldn't mind trying out their Watch. I have had two Android watches and to me they have been fails not being really practical. That's where it's getting more exciting is the tech outside the phone where Android really falls behind.

Also, new feature like AirPods automatically switch from one iOS device to another by just putting one down and picking up another sounds slick. And you have the rumored Glasses in a year or so. Also I'm in the market for new car soon and Apple CarKey sounds cool.

Some of these features may not be "groundbreaking new features"... but they just have a track record of making those features seen on other devices actually work better or actually be usable on their devices.

I'll probably go Note 20+ next phone but at least I'll be able to use some of these features on my iPad Pro so I like what I see. IMO nothing beats iPad in tablets. And maybe my next phone after that will be an iPhone.

I'm loving the direction Apple is headed in, especially in terms of security and battery tech in their devices. I'm looking forward to iOS 14.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

You know the cool thing about iOS 14 though??

That if you have a 5 year old iPhone 6S... for whatever reason you still have one maybe because you just can't afford a new phone every 2-3 years... Apple will still think about you and give you iOS 14 when it's released to get as many of those features that your hardware can support.

My Note 8 that retailed for close to $1000?? OneUI 2.1 for example... Less than 3 years old and my phone is "too old" for Samsung to bother giving me OneUI 2.1 :-\

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

Apple isn’t just about innovation in their smartphones, they are about perfecting. They innovate, as someone else mentioned, in their other devices (glasses, watch, etc). Innovation isn’t throwing something together that doesn’t work well.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

Yes why am I having to read about how great iOS is in a galaxy s20 thread. If I wanted an iPhone I'd buy one.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Apple isn’t just about innovation in their smartphones, they are about perfecting. They innovate, as someone else mentioned, in their other devices (glasses, watch, etc). Innovation isn’t throwing something together that doesn’t work well.
You're giving them to much credit. It's easy to perfect something when you're designing as OS around the Architecture of your own hardware.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

You're giving them to much credit. It's easy to perfect something when you're designing as OS around the Architecture of your own hardware.

Shouldn’t they get credit for that? You certainly can’t hold it against them unless you’re just an Apple hater.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

I don't see the issue... the OP... a huge S20 Ultra fan just asking from our prospective as a community. It's a slow day anyways. But I understand. Oh well.

How is IOS14 related specifically to the S20? The OP even says it's not about the S20. This thread definitely belongs elsewhere.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Shouldn’t they get credit for that? You certainly can’t hold it against them unless you’re just an Apple hater.

I'm not holding it against them, I just don't believe they deserve credit for perfecting something within a closed eco-system. It's a lot tougher to make Android work across multiple platforms. I also don't know why we have to get into the Apple hater thing. I use both Apple and Android products.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Honestly the only thing I liked from the announcement so far is the things coming to iMessage. Have to admit the way they are about to treat groupchat needs to be on every device. I always felt that it needed a mentions feature and a way to go private for you to see the important messages as sometime people have side conversations. That's a feature I wish Android would gladly steal
Where I find iPhone interesting is features outside the iPhone... If I had a iPhone I wouldn't mind trying out their Watch. I have had two Android watches and to me they have been fails not being really practical. That's where it's getting more exciting is the tech outside the phone where Android really falls behind.

Also, new feature like AirPods automatically switch from one iOS device to another by just putting one down and picking up another sounds slick. And you have the rumored Glasses in a year or so. Also I'm in the market for new car soon and Apple CarKey sounds cool.

Some of these features may not be "groundbreaking new features"... but they just have a track record of making those features seen on other devices actually work better or actually be usable on their devices.

I'll probably go Note 20+ next phone but at least I'll be able to use some of these features on my iPad Pro so I like what I see. IMO nothing beats iPad in tablets. And maybe my next phone after that will be an iPhone.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

True it won't run the same, but it does allow you to gain some new features on a terribly outdated phone.
You know the cool thing about iOS 14 though??

That if you have a 5 year old iPhone 6S... for whatever reason you still have one maybe because you just can't afford a new phone every 2-3 years... Apple will still think about you and give you iOS 14 when it's released to get as many of those features that your hardware can support.

My Note 8 that retailed for close to $1000?? OneUI 2.1 for example... Less than 3 years old and my phone is "too old" for Samsung to bother giving me OneUI 2.1 :-\

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
iOS 14

I'm not holding it against them, I just just believe they deserve credit for perfecting something because witjin a closed eco-system. I also don't know why we have to get into the Apple hater thing. I use both Apple and Android products.

So do I.
I wasnt calling you an Apple hater, just pointing out I don’t see why people can’t bring up Apple in an Android forum.
I’m currently involved in a discussion on iMore about notifications. There I am bringing up how Androids notification tray is easier to access. I sometimes with there was something in the middle.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Just like every other manufacturer not everything they do is perfect, but do wholeheartedly agree with your comment. It's the same way I feel about some Samsung features that make it to other devices through software that don't function as well on other devices. When you do everything in house it makes it that much easier to provide a somewhat seamless implementation of features.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Exactly. You understand very slow day. I'm currently using the S20 Ultra and other that have it ask about switching to or from iPhones all the time so I felt it was an appropriate topic. If not an admin will move it to the appropriate area. Was just curious what others thought of the new iOS features.
I don't see the issue... the OP... a huge S20 Ultra fan just asking from our prospective as a community. It's a slow day anyways. But I understand. Oh well.