As an S20 owner, how you feel about iOS 14 features?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Competition is a very good thing. While I will probably always prefer Android over iOS, I hope Apple makes their own innovations, that will in turn result in Android making its own to counter that. Which in turn results in better products from both camps.

I completely agree. The smartphone world takes no prisoners, which is feisty but awesome for consumers.

bgapfire

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
iOS 14 is a step in the right direction for sure. I use both operating systems now, but lean a lot more to Android for two huge reasons for me: Always On Display and Notifications. Android just does notifications better and it still isn't close for me. I can use my iPhone all day and as soon as I switch my sim back to my Ultra, it just feels better.

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
After seeing an iOS 14 hands on, I'm tempted to switch, but...

I've been on the Android platform for years, but I've always liked the clean look of iOS. So much so, that I've looked for iOS launchers in the Play Store. But I've always gone back to Nova Prime because of the stupid ads the launcher apps stick you with.

With iOS 14 coming out in the fall, I find myself wondering if I can and should switch to an iPhone, because of the visual similarities with Android, and the fact that the features that iOS did adopt from Android just seem to be implemented better, even though these new features on iOS have been on Android for years now.

I'm just wondering how difficult the transition is? Obviously, iOS is way locked down compared to Android; everything costs, for one thing. Other things that concern me is the gesture navigation (I haven't used it on my S10+), and lack of a fingerprint scanner. Everything is also tethered to iTunes.

Has anyone here made the switch from Android to Apple and back again, or currently use both platforms? If so, what do you like/dislike about both? What made you go back to one or the other? I was all set to get the Note 20+/Ultra at some point in the new year, but my best friend is on iOS and we've had little issues over the years. She even says that I'd like it, if not for it being so locked down. And iMessage is of course a plus of wanting to switch. Should I switch, or just go with the next Note as initially planned? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
iOS 14 is a step in the right direction for sure. I use both operating systems now, but lean a lot more to Android for two huge reasons for me: Always On Display and Notifications. Android just does notifications better and it still isn't close for me. I can use my iPhone all day and as soon as I switch my sim back to my Ultra, it just feels better.
I'm glad I get to enjoy both. Android personal and IOS for work. If I could only use one though I would favor Android even with IOS-14 in the picture.

Henaway

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: After seeing an iOS 14 hands on, I'm tempted to switch, but...

I feel you. I was thinking hard about going to an iPhone for the first time ... but for me, it comes down to the locked down default apps. Even with the mail/browser options arriving with iOS 14 this fall, it's not enough for me to take that plunge. I've been going back and forth between the S20+ and Note 10+ for weeks ... still a bit torn on it, TBH. But I'm still leaning towards the Note 10+. Price isn't really a factor between the two right now, with discounts, they're near identical with my carrier. I think it mostly comes down to the S-Pen. Which may seem weird, because I've never had a Note before, and I'm not sure how much I would use it, but the idea of not having it makes the S20+ seem lesser, even if the hardware is a bit newer.

Ultimately, when it comes to jumping to iOS, you have to decide if you can live with the trade-offs. For me, I can't ... yet. But if they keep copying Android's best features over, they just might get there in the future. In the meantime, I remain firmly team Android.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad I get to enjoy both. Android personal and IOS for work. If I could only use one though I would favor Android even with IOS-14 in the picture.

That is cool that you get to use both! Sometimes I wish I could snag a cheap iPhone so I could Face Time and iMessage with my brother.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Competition is a very good thing. While I will probably always prefer Android over iOS, I hope Apple makes their own innovations, that will in turn result in Android making its own to counter that. Which in turn results in better products from both camps.

Completely agree.
That’s why I don’t understand the hate going either way. Without competition we would be nowhere close to where we are today.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: iOS 14

I'm just guessing but maybe the more hardware related ones... Maybe the Bluetooth switching when you have airpods and you put down your iPhone and pick up your iPad or MacBook and airpods automatically switch??

Maybe the Apple CarKey? That would be cool unlock your 2021 wit your iPhone 6s lol.

Correct.
While the updated OS allows for a lot, there are some features baked into the hardware that won’t work in older devices.
Still, it’s pretty cool.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.an...-android-apps-are-still-worse-ios-version?amp

Maybe this will tell you. There are plenty of articles about it. I haven’t really checked myself as I don’t care.
That article is not referring to Google apps, just apps available in both Play Store and the App Store. The poster I responded to mentioned Google apps and I use both systems so I'm curious if there's a Google app I could be using on iPhone to replace something I'm currently using. I currently using Google Maps and Gmail on IOS.

Last edited:

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
I feel you. I was thinking hard about going to an iPhone for the first time ... but for me, it comes down to the locked down default apps. Even with the mail/browser options arriving with iOS 14 this fall, it's not enough for me to take that plunge. I've been going back and forth between the S20+ and Note 10+ for weeks ... still a bit torn on it, TBH. But I'm still leaning towards the Note 10+. Price isn't really a factor between the two right now, with discounts, they're near identical with my carrier. I think it mostly comes down to the S-Pen. Which may seem weird, because I've never had a Note before, and I'm not sure how much I would use it, but the idea of not having it makes the S20+ seem lesser, even if the hardware is a bit newer.

Ultimately, when it comes to jumping to iOS, you have to decide if you can live with the trade-offs. For me, I can't ... yet. But if they keep copying Android's best features over, they just might get there in the future. In the meantime, I remain firmly team Android.

Yeah, you make good points. I guess I'll stick with the original plan and get the Note 20+/Ultra next spring. I'm not a heavy user, but I've never owned a Note before either, and I'd like to see all it can do. If I'm gonna shell out the cash, I may as well get the most bang for my buck. Since I've never used the S-Pen, I feel like it's better to have it and not need it, than to realize you *could* use it and not have it. Yeah, Apple does have overall refinement, and they do get first dibs on apps, but there's no excuse to have to wait years for basic features, or having to go through the hassle of jail breaking to get them.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Personally I have no interest in anything Apple really BUT... BUT... BUT... the more they all Copy/Rob/Steal/Get Inspired by each other... the better for me as a customer as it drives innovation and gives me cool new features and tools.... and gimmicks and useless stuff too 😊

customshopkv1

Feb 26, 2020
Visit site
My work pays a portion of my cell phone bill so I use my phone for personal and work. Windows 10 Your Phone app works well with my S20U. I can drag and drop photos I take in the shop quickly and respond to text while on my PC. I was using iPhones from the 4 to the XS Max and just the iCloud app on my PC was a pain to find pictures sometimes.

I do miss Airdrop as some of my techs use iPhone and could send photos quickly. All of them have Duo now in case they are in the field and need to visual chat with me.

I run 7 locations (NM, AZ, NV, CA and HI) from Arizona and honestly between Windows 10 and Android the time saved is huge for me. It's a little here and there but it consistently all day.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Airdrop alternative between devices on any platform... iphone to android to pc to mac, etc...

https://snapdrop.net/

Just need to be on same wifi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFUYIDvCZl0

My work pays a portion of my cell phone bill so I use my phone for personal and work. Windows 10 Your Phone app works well with my S20U. I can drag and drop photos I take in the shop quickly and respond to text while on my PC. I was using iPhones from the 4 to the XS Max and just the iCloud app on my PC was a pain to find pictures sometimes.

I do miss Airdrop as some of my techs use iPhone and could send photos quickly. All of them have Duo now in case they are in the field and need to visual chat with me.

I run 7 locations (NM, AZ, NV, CA and HI) from Arizona and honestly between Windows 10 and Android the time saved is huge for me. It's a little here and there but it consistently all day.

theobject

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Having the luxury of a work (iphone) and personal phone (Android) it's nice to experience both sides. For work it's great, no need to customize, it just exists as is. But to be able to have a level of customization like Android would be huge. I've been a solid Samsung fan for their watches but i'm curious just how accurate they are against Apple. I hate the Apple watch square design. But if Apple permitted the same level of customization I could see jumping over to at least test the waters even with the watch.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I love the integration that Samsung now has with windows. I stay connected with all my content wether I'm on phone, tablet or pc. Didn't realize I would love the syncing so much.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm still baffled that the Apple watch doesn't have a keyboard to type replies or able to work independently with it's own number but yet is touted as the best smartwatch on the market.
Having the luxury of a work (iphone) and personal phone (Android) it's nice to experience both sides. For work it's great, no need to customize, it just exists as is. But to be able to have a level of customization like Android would be huge. I've been a solid Samsung fan for their watches but i'm curious just how accurate they are against Apple. I hate the Apple watch square design. But if Apple permitted the same level of customization I could see jumping over to at least test the waters even with the watch.