08-15-2020 05:49 PM
147 ... 456
tools
    There's also a more settings under customization serviceAttachment 322156
    Mike, your second image caused me to have a Eureka moment, and I might be onto something here. I don't have an issue with ads, yet, but this scares me as does something else...

Unlike most of you, I'm using my Note 10 in renegade mode, meaning that I don't sign into Samsung ANYTHING because when you do Samsung forces you to agree to their stealing your contacts. –Yes, I know, they have much of our info already, but the fact that they are specifically ASKING me to surrender this data has never set well with me. So anyway, when I click on "Customization Service," it takes me to a Samsung log-in screen. –And I'm not signed in!! This has me seriously considering forgetting the idea of a Note 20 and jumping ship for good.

I use as few Samsung apps as possible, even the stock loaded ones, both because I prefer the Google ones, but also because of crap like this

It might be worth it for some of you who are getting ads to try logging out of your Samsung account–in the many places that you're logged in, just to see if you have the ads after that. I'd be really curious to know if this gets rid of the ads...
    edglock21 likes this.
    08-06-2020 12:28 AM
    I agree launcher won't fix this, we need people that having this issue try safe mode, otherwise we not getting anywhere just talking about it. Let's try some things out.
    I would like to make another suggestion as well–that people that have the ads try logging out of everything Samsung, reboot, and then seen if they have ads. Mike suggested checking ad info in Customization Service, so I clicked on it and it takes me to a Samsung log-in page–and I'm signed into nothing Samsung. So I'm wondering if this could be part of it.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    08-06-2020 12:37 AM
    I would like to make another suggestion as well–that people that have the ads try logging out of everything Samsung, reboot, and then seen if they have ads. Mike suggested checking ad info in Customization Service, so I clicked on it and it takes me to a Samsung log-in page–and I'm signed into nothing Samsung. So I'm wondering if this could be part of it.
    I've used Samsung services starting with Note 2 and S3 I never had any issues and sync with Samsung account, I don't have ads on my phone
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    08-06-2020 12:47 AM
    THIS.

That's exactly how things begin. My brother's S20 showed some ads for him, too, and, again, it was a mess to turn it off. For me its just the beginning, but enough to halt completely my Note 20 buy and put myself in expectation position about iPhone. This year I'll either buy one or continue using my Note 10. Samsung lost maybe it's first customer because of this dumb marketing strategy. They don't need my money, I know, but, hey, it's MY money. Well done for them!
    Agtrrd. This has me halting the consideration of my Note 20 buy.
    08-06-2020 12:51 AM
    Just another reason of many to make my Note 9 the last Samsung I will own and move over to a Pixel.

I just want clean, unmolested Android, with fast updates.
    This is the best description I've seen, and so true. This thread has me strongly thinking about waiting for the Pixel 5.
    08-06-2020 12:56 AM
    I've used Samsung services starting with Note 2 and S3 I never had any issues and sync with Samsung account, I don't have ads on my phone
    Fair point. But one of the variables is that these ads are in "select locations," and you might be in the right location, and I might be too.

I was making the suggestion for people having the ads problem to try, just like trying safe mode. Several people said they have it in "Places" in the dialer app. I just checked mine & i have nothing--just a get started screen.

Just a thought...
    mustang7757 likes this.
    08-06-2020 01:26 AM
    Fair point. But one of the variables is that these ads are in "select locations," and you might be in the right location, and I might be too.

I was making the suggestion for people having the ads problem to try, just like trying safe mode. Several people said they have it in "Places" in the dialer app. I just checked mine & i have nothing--just a get started screen.

Just a thought...
    Absolutely, and I dont disagree with that !
    I understand I may not have a issue on mine , others can expirence it . I just pointing out with Samsung, google ,Apple have had my information for years and I haven't seen them abuse it .
    08-06-2020 01:31 AM
    Absolutely, and I dont disagree with that !
    I understand I may not have a issue on mine , others can expirence it . I just pointing out with Samsung, google ,Apple have had my information for years and I haven't seen them abuse it .
    I think showing me annoying ads while I'm trying to use a device I paid a lot of money for, without my express permission, configure abuse. But that's me.

Well, this thread gone too far, I guess. Everyone's opinion is clear, new Note 20 Ultra is here, so it's time to everyone be happy, free, and do what they want with their money! Hope everyone will be satisfied with their choices!!

Cheers,
    mustang7757 likes this.
    08-06-2020 06:08 AM
    I think showing me annoying ads while I'm trying to use a device I paid a lot of money for, without my express permission, configure abuse. But that's me.

Well, this thread gone too far, I guess. Everyone's opinion is clear, new Note 20 Ultra is here, so it's time to everyone be happy, free, and do what they want with their money! Hope everyone will be satisfied with their choices!!

Cheers,
    I agree, i would be very annoyed also
    vimagreg likes this.
    08-06-2020 06:47 AM
    Wow a $1,200 USD phone and getting ads in the software? #hardpass I'll stick with a different OEM for my next smartphone.
    gendo667 likes this.
    08-15-2020 11:37 AM
    Yeah, I think people didn't read our posts, too. That's a Samsung policy, I received my ads from a **** called "SamsungAdsService" and it was a lot of work to find how to disable it. All I have to say is, if this news about UI 2.5 is true (and maybe it is), for me will be time to go back iPhone all the way again. I simply hate and simply don't accept receiving crap ads notifications on my own device, in any circumstances. I pay for apps I like in order to not see it, if it is forced through the system so this system is not an option for me anymore.

Hope Apple will finally put pen support to new iOS 14, so I'll be really good to go again. Shame on you, Samsung.
    Why not post the "difficult procedure" to block ads?
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    08-15-2020 12:05 PM
    Why not post the "difficult procedure" to block ads?
    And what needs about UI 2.5?
    08-15-2020 12:49 PM
    Wow a $1,200 USD phone and getting ads in the software? #hardpass I'll stick with a different OEM for my next smartphone.
    It's not as crazy as people making it out to be. The ads are really only in the Samsung apps. Like the Galaxy Store, Samsung Pay app, Samsung Health, Samsung Members etc. All of which are not used all to often and are typically right at the top of the screen so you scroll. Right past them. Not a big deal.
    DanielLoreti likes this.
    08-15-2020 02:49 PM
    It's not as crazy as people making it out to be. The ads are really only in the Samsung apps. Like the Galaxy Store, Samsung Pay app, Samsung Health, Samsung Members etc. All of which are not used all to often and are typically right at the top of the screen so you scroll. Right past them. Not a big deal.
    Unless you use those apps. Samsung uses those apps to sell their phones that they charge a lot for
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    08-15-2020 02:51 PM
    Unless you use those apps. Samsung uses those apps to sell their phones that they charge a lot for
    Even if you use them, like I used Samsung Pay a lot and the adds are not so intrusive that it gets in my way. I actually don't even really notice them cuz I either scroll past them as soon as I open the app or I just open Samsung Pay make my purchase and close it out. But I guess everyone is different. It's really not a big deal to me and there are lot more bigger issues to be more upset about.
    DanielLoreti likes this.
    08-15-2020 03:02 PM
    I get the Samsung pay ads that pop up on the bottom right of my screen
    I won't worry until I start seeing ads. Been using my Note 10+, S20 Ultra and tab S6 and have yet to see any ads.
    08-15-2020 03:07 PM
    These phones are crazy expensive though. I don't remember Samsung offering us a discount in lieu of adverts on out phone--like Kindle. And, unlike Kindle, we weren't given the ability to opt out, whether paid or not. My expensive phone feels like an expensive Samsung ad conduit.
    08-15-2020 04:09 PM
    These phones are crazy expensive though. I don't remember Samsung offering us a discount in lieu of adverts on out phone--like Kindle. And, unlike Kindle, we weren't given the ability to opt out, whether paid or not. My expensive phone feels like an expensive Samsung ad conduit.
    Exactly.
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    08-15-2020 04:11 PM
    Exactly.
    And there's also the issue of all of the permissions they try to force you to grant just to use apps & services. This feels like 2 very thorny branches of the same tree.
    08-15-2020 04:24 PM
    Even if you use them, like I used Samsung Pay a lot and the adds are not so intrusive that it gets in my way. I actually don't even really notice them cuz I either scroll past them as soon as I open the app or I just open Samsung Pay make my purchase and close it out. But I guess everyone is different. It's really not a big deal to me and there are lot more bigger issues to be more upset about.
    Exactly. And apparently Apple is starting to roll it out in certain regions too.
    08-15-2020 05:20 PM
    And there's also the issue of all of the permissions they try to force you to grant just to use apps & services. This feels like 2 very thorny branches of the same tree.
    The permissions thing is an Android thing not a Samsung thing. They want to make sure you know what your granting permission to. It's more transparent than in the past.
    08-15-2020 05:30 PM
    The permissions thing is an Android thing not a Samsung thing. They want to make sure you know what your granting permission to. It's more transparent than in the past.
    No, what I'm referring to isn't an Android thing. I bought my Note 10 from the Microsoft Store & wanted to add the Samsung insurance after the purchase. The only way to do this was by logging into the Members apo, & the only way to do that was to agree to give access to Samsung my Contacts database, which I do not agree to. So I called, thinking I could buy the insurance over the phone. I couldn't. They want to gorce you through the app. When I asked why they were insisting I hand over my private Contact info, I was told that they must have this to "verify your identity." This is insane, and I do not have additional insurance on this phone because of this.

They do it in other apps & for other services. They're was a long thread last fall by people angry that they were forced to do this when connecting home automation devices to SmartThings. Yesterday I read a thread here about someone trying to connect to the Samsung cloud but couldn't, without agreeing to an entire list of permissions, of things he didn't want to go to the cloud anyway.

We a know that these companies have tons of our data already--so why are they very specifically, and repeated asking for this info? It sure isn't to confirm your identity.

My earlier point was just that this practice, along with forcing ads on devices that that we own, most of which were very expensive, feels very connected to me from an invasion of privacy perspective. Google provided a way to lock down permissions, but Samsung subverted it.
    08-15-2020 05:49 PM
147 ... 456