Is Samsung going to really do this... Ads?

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I won't worry until I start seeing ads. Been using my Note 10+, S20 Ultra and tab S6 and have yet to see any ads.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I received a couple of very annoying ads a few days after I started using my Note 10+, all of them from Samsung itself. It really upset me, and it was kind of hard to find in internet instructions to block it. Now I don't receive any ads anymore, but I must say if it happens, I'm going to ditch Samsung for good. To pay 1000 bucks and still receive annoying ads is simply unacceptable for me.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Were they appearing in your internet browser? I know I get ads on websites, but that's due to me searching for a certain product or brand previously.
I received a couple of very annoying ads a few days after I started using my Note 10+, all of them from Samsung itself. It really upset me, and it was kind of hard to find in internet instructions to block it. Now I don't receive any ads anymore, but I must say if it happens, I'm going to ditch Samsung for good. To pay 1000 bucks and still receive annoying ads is simply unacceptable for me.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Completely unacceptable. You pay $1400 for a phone, you shouldn't be forced with ads when you get it home. At the very least you should be able to turn them off.

I saw that article where they stick an ad in the dialer?! Really Samsung?? I think I read a month or two ago ads popping up in their Samsung Music app or something like that??

When I got my Note 8... Irritated me that I'd open the Samsung Store app to check on Samsung updates and I would get an ad the moment I opened it... and it had music playing at full blast causing attention before I had a chance to close it. And there was no option to disable.

I had to buy a lifetime subscription to Adguard Pro to remove the irritating pop up because on Android it blocks ads in apps as well as browsers.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'll have to pay attention because I see nothing in the dialer. In the "places" tab within the dialer all I see are reviews based on categories which may actually be useful when I'm traveling.Screenshot_20200630-222902_Phone.jpeg

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
You're absolutely right. Unless you were buying a phone so discounted because they will tell you you'll get ads to offset the cost of the phone, doesn't matter if $14 or $1400. It just sounds maybe more ridiculous that you pay such an amount and not an option to opt out.

OK, but what does it matter how much you pay for the device? It's either OK or it's not OK.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Would make more sense to place a "Places" in the map instead of a dialer because you are using the map to check your surrounding area. Surprised no one has come up with that :p I mean... who really thinks off the top of their head to open the dialer to find a restaurant? I'm like, "Ok Google, find me a tequila bar nearby." :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200630-224759_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20200630-224759_Maps.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 48

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Would make more sense to place a "Places" in the map instead of a dialer because you are using the map to check your surrounding area. Surprised no one has come up with that I mean... who really thinks off the top of their head to open the dialer to find a restaurant? I'm like, "Ok Google, find me a tequila bar nearby." :)
I don't use it much....I usually Google for the type of place I want and stuff pops up in a search.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I technically don't consider this the phone dialer since it's a tab completely separate from the actual phone dialer. I also find it completely hard to believe that most don't have the customization services enabled. It clearly tells you what it does. I've turned it on to test if I start getting them which I assume I will. I also agree this shouldn't be turned on by default as most wouldn't willingly agree to the aggressive marketing. Definitely not good look for Samsung if they don't change things.
I'll have to pay attention because I see nothing in the dialer. In the "places" tab within the dialer all I see are reviews based on categories which may actually be useful when I'm traveling.View attachment 322084
Screenshot_20200701-025359_Customisation%20Service.jpegScreenshot_20200701-025413_Customisation%20Service.jpeg

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I actually search using it and it's pretty useful and fast compared to google. For some reason it takes google a second to lock in my location sometimes I get locations that aren't close to where I'm currently at. It also lets you narrow down your search to locations currently open which can come really come in handy now.
Would make more sense to place a "Places" in the map instead of a dialer because you are using the map to check your surrounding area. Surprised no one has come up with that I mean... who really thinks off the top of their head to open the dialer to find a restaurant? I'm like, "Ok Google, find me a tequila bar nearby." :)

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
You're absolutely right. Unless you were buying a phone so discounted because they will tell you you'll get ads to offset the cost of the phone, doesn't matter if $14 or $1400. It just sounds maybe more ridiculous that you pay such an amount and not an option to opt out.
Just like Amazon does with their Kindle. They sell a ad based one or a non add based one. I spent $1500 for a phone that did not have any mention of ads being forced on it.

As far as I'm concerned it's dirty play on Samsungs part to start putting ads on any phone already released since there was no mention that these phones were ad based. At the very least any phone released before this ad nonsense was introduced should have the option to turn it off.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan