Is Samsung going to really do this... Ads?

mib1800

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
That's one my brother got, thru Samsung pay on the notification bar at 3 in the morning

Just turn off the relevant notification in app setting. Slide right on notification to click the setting and disable/set the level the highlighted option. I always set them lowest level notification so I don't get disturbed but still can look at them later

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
IDK if I'd consider that an ad. More of a suggestion.
You would think as I got older, things would bother me more, but it just ain't true. I've come to the realization that I have much more important things to worry about than I have time so I've learned to prioritize the things I worry about to the things that matter most.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Agreed. I just don't care. I have waaaaaaay more to be concerned about than the occasional Galaxy store ad. I get why its irritating to some, but I'm more annoyed when I keep getting notifications sounds on my phone because people can't write one long message rather than 10 short ones. 🤣

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
And this is how it starts. They are counting on people saying exactly that. I'll list a couple examples. Facebook bombards us with ads, Google gives us ads and more. Now Samsung might want to get in on the ads... I'll use those 3.. Facebook and Google are free to use and gives us certain value. Samsung does not give us the phone for free, they charge a very steep price for the phone, that makes it wrong and yes there's bigger things to be worried about. I know if Samsung wants to do the ads they are coming, there are too many fanboys, yes Samsung has fanboys like apple. I know I'll have to tolerate it, find a way around it, or find a different phone because most will just tolerate it.

First time in years I am also watching what the iPhone is bringing. Thought I would never do that, doubt I will, but none the less I am looking at what they are bringing to the table. Might look at LG also, heck this ad thing Samsung is rumored on has me looking at all phones, last 10 years I've never even paid attention to the others, I am as loyal to Samsung as you can get. I have 9 lines and they are all Samsung, for now anyway That's how much I hate ads, and I really hate them being put on something I paid a lot of money for.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
And this is how it starts. They are counting on people saying exactly that. I'll list a couple examples. Facebook bombards us with ads, Google gives us ads and more. Now Samsung might want to get in on the ads... I'll use those 3.. Facebook and Google are free to use and gives us certain value. Samsung does not give us the phone for free, they charge a very steep price for the phone, that makes it wrong and yes there's bigger things to be worried about. I know if Samsung wants to do the ads they are coming, there are too many fanboys, yes Samsung has fanboys like apple. I know I'll have to tolerate it, find a way around it, or find a different phone because most will just tolerate it.

First time in years I am also watching what the iPhone is bringing. Thought I would never do that, doubt I will, but none the less I am looking at what they are bringing to the table. Might look at LG also, heck this ad thing Samsung is rumored on has me looking at all phones, last 10 years I've never even paid attention to the others, I am as loyal to Samsung as you can get. I have 9 lines and they are all Samsung, for now anyway That's how much I hate ads, and I really hate them being put on something I paid a lot of money for.
I was referring to one specific example that buzy3970 referred to.

The thing is it's already started. I haven't noticed any ads yet so I'm not going to worry about it. If it heads in an intolerable direction at that point I make a decision. Samsung isn't the only game in town.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site

THIS.

That's exactly how things begin. My brother's S20 showed some ads for him, too, and, again, it was a mess to turn it off. For me its just the beginning, but enough to halt completely my Note 20 buy and put myself in expectation position about iPhone. This year I'll either buy one or continue using my Note 10. Samsung lost maybe it's first customer because of this dumb marketing strategy. They don't need my money, I know, but, hey, it's MY money. Well done for them!

cknobman

May 15, 2018
Visit site
Well I was already getting fed up with Samsung and their rising prices, forced apps I dont use, and performance degradation.

Just another reason of many to make my Note 9 the last Samsung I will own and move over to a Pixel.

I just want clean, unmolested Android, with fast updates.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

Again. I have a family member in the hospital dying currently. This doesn't register for me.

Also, like Mike said. If it gets to be a major issue, I'll make a decision. At no point is Samsung forcing anyone to purchase their phones. As long as I have choice where to spend my money, I'm not going to worry about it.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't recall seeing any ads on my Samsung phones until I used the Samsung Members app, then shortly later I'd get a notification for some other Samsung promotion or service. This in my notification feels like a red line for me. Fortunately the occurrence has been very rare. So I've been able to forgive and forget (mostly just forgot).
Places has been mentioned a lot in the Samsung Phone dialer, so I checked that out. I had to tap Get Started. And when I did, there was two check boxes to agree to Hiya's Privacy Policy and Terms of Service. Big red flag my data is certainly going to be collected and probably used for ads. So I did not agree to that.

I feel like Samsung sees some of it's apps (first or third party) as services, like Members and Places and figures they are fair game for ads. While I don't completely agree with that (but see their point of view). For me it's easily corrected by never using Samsung services. I really don't use any Samsung app or service (had to use Members to claim a pre-order credit), so have only had a couple rare ads. Though on the flip side, I'll still get ads from whatever service I end up using. Google Maps is definitely eager to show my ads on it's map.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Every time I went to use Samsung pay today I was bombarded with ads. :(

I forgot about that one. I did setup Samsung Pay, now I do see pop-up ads in certain retail apps telling me I could save x% using Samsung pay. Ugh. Guess I'm almost becoming numb to the ads I see everyday.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
in samsung pay settings, disable marketing info and in-app deal alerts and it should stop most ads. will still get some in the samsung pay app but fortunately I use my watch for most transactions.