Is Samsung going to really do this... Ads?

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
If this is true, I'm not paying $1400 (or whatever it'll cost) for the Note 20 Ultra to put up with ads. No way. I get enough notifications. I don't need to be bothered with ads when I pay a ton of money for a device.

Looks like I'll be sticking with Apple this year.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I just seen this, my brother got a ad on his ultra 20 today. I'm not at all happy about this, I paid good money for this phone. I was looking to go to the note 20, but I'm not sure now. These aren't cheap phones to have to put up with ads.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/...er-samsungs-galaxy-smartphones-and-im-fed-up/
I went back and re-read that article on Android Police and as I'm reading it dawned on me that the article was riddled with ads. Anyone see the irony in that?

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I went back and re-read that article on Android Police and as I'm reading it dawned on me that the article was riddled with ads. Anyone see the irony in that?
I customize my notification shade. I customize my lock screen. I've got nothing to do with AP's layout.

It's gonna make some folks angry. Others won't care at all.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I customize my notification shade. I customize my lock screen. I've got nothing to do with AP's layout.

It's gonna make some folks angry. Others won't care at all.
As the article points out. It's certain Samsung apps so there are alternatives. Samsung Pay is usable at more locations than Google Pay so that might be a tuff one but I never even notice the ads. I go in, I use it and back out. As for the Phone dialer it's in the Places tab and I only go there on rare occasions. As long as it stays that way I'm good but I can see how it might impact others.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
As the article points out. It's certain Samsung apps so there are alternatives. Samsung Pay is usable at more locations than Google Pay so that might be a tuff one but I never even notice the ads. I go in, I use it and back out. As for the Phone dialer it's in the Places tab and I only go there on rare occasions. As long as it stays that way I'm good but I can see how it might impact others.

We're on the same page.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site

as long as the ad in samsung is not a full page one you have to close before using samsung pay, then I really don't have that much of a problem with them. I just avoid using samsungs other apps as much as possible where you do have to click through in order to use them. so far no more notification ads after after doing a bunch of disabling. now if I can just stop their emails. my spam folder is getting full of them since they ignore unsubscribe

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
as long as the ad in samsung is not a full page one you have to close before using samsung pay, then I really don't have that much of a problem with them. I just avoid using samsungs other apps as much as possible where you do have to click through in order to use them. so far no more notification ads after after doing a bunch of disabling. now if I can just stop their emails. my spam folder is getting full of them since they ignore unsubscribe
I just went into Samsung Pay and at the top one forth of the screen an ad pops up for a second and then reverts to rewards. I only noticed because I was looking for itScreenshot_20200715-145740_Samsung Pay.jpegScreenshot_20200715-145801_Samsung%20Pay.jpeg

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I just went into Samsung Pay and at the top one forth of the screen an ad pops up for a second and then reverts to rewards. I only noticed because I was looking for

I get similar ads but it does not affect usage since it is at the top and it closes itself. now what bugged me was the other day I was getting ready to use samsung pay at the store, and I had to agree to about four different agreements without reading them before I could pay. Normally I would have switch to google pay but there was a line behind me and I did not want to waste time. I guess that is exactly what samsung wanted.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Again, I did not pay $1400+ for that article. When I'm getting something for free I get the ads, don't like them, but get why they are there. When I pay $1400+ on a phone I don't expect or want ads.

Obviously some don't mind them, some do. If I was one that didn't mind them I would want the phone cheaper, like Amazon does with their tablets, ad based or pay more for no ads. Just my opinion, everyone is different.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Again, I did not pay $1400+ for that article. When I'm getting something for free I get the ads, don't like them, but get why they are there. When I pay $1400+ on a phone I don't expect or want ads.

Obviously some don't mind them, some do. If I was one that didn't mind them I would want the phone cheaper, like Amazon does with their tablets, ad based or pay more for no ads. Just my opinion, everyone is different.
Good point , if got those ads , I'd be turning phone inside out lol

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I'm not disputing your point. I find the irony in the author writing an article complaining about ads and published on a site riddled with them. It's kind of like clickbait.

As far as the device and ads... From what I see and according to the article, it a matter of certain Samsung apps having the ads. The only two for me that matter are the dialer app and Samsung pay. So far the way they implemented the ads doesn't bother me enough to jump ship. If it gets to that point where it's intolerable for me, there are other OEMs that will take my money.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm not disputing your point. I find the irony in the author writing an article complaining about ads and published on a site riddled with them. It's kind of like clickbait.

As far as the device and ads... From what I see and according to the article, it a matter of certain Samsung apps having the ads. The only two for me that matter are the dialer app and Samsung pay. So far the way they implemented the ads doesn't bother me enough to jump ship. If it gets to that point where it's intolerable for me, there are other OEMs that will take my money.
I get that. I'm just pushing as far as the ads, Samsung is smart.. Start out small and keep them coming. I agree, if I see a ad on my dialer I'm gone.

swampbaby

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site